My favorite shroom!

Jontz04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of this shroom has a given name? I tried rainbow rhodactis but I can't seem to find one l IMG_20180205_181146.jpg ike it.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of this shroom has a given name? I tried rainbow rhodactis but I can't seem to find one l IMG_20180205_181146.jpg ike it.
Don't know the name, but dang is that gorgeous!

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subtracting the beautiful purple color (flatworms) leaves you with a beautiful blue green and the beautiful orange yellow.
At our LFS the 1/2" to 1" size is $50.

OP
OP
Jontz04

Jontz04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone keeps saying the purple spots are flatworms but they are actually not. The purple areas are starting to get fleshy looking like bubbles. I've cleaned off this shroom many times and the purple spots remain.

OP
OP
Jontz04

Jontz04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this locally here in Cedar Rapids Iowa. My friend is getting more in, I'm not sure where he orders from. This one is about 2.5 inches and I paid $60 for it.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you cleaning it? Those guys are tough and don't come off easy. Putting it in a bucket of water and treating it with flatworm exit would determine if they are really flatworms. That is what they look like on my shrooms.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Opus said, treating it with Flatworm Exit *outside* of the tank will be the best way to be sure. If they all fall off when you swish the frag in the bucket at the end of the treatment it is flatworms.

Sure looks like the ones I have killed in the past.
They are called red planaria but the ones I have seen have always been that pretty purple color.

Google cures for a while. Read up, there is plenty of info out there.
Have a lot of water premixed before treatment of the tank because the dead flatworms release a very strong toxin that can kill your fish and other corals.

Our favorite LFS and several others locally have a problem with them. It is a very common issue.
They are easy to surpress but difficult to eradicate completely. Then it's easy to get out of hand again.

Another good reason to dip all corals before adding to your tank. Even from good sources.

A little late, but it is the reason I dip corals now.
[emoji53]

Springeri damsels, blue velvet slug (very poor shipper), yellow damsels *should* eat them and have been effective in suppressing them in our tank.

The velvet slug is cool and a pretty addition to your tank. But it dies from starvation when it can't find any more nearby.
Springeri damsel stays small and calmer than the yellow damsel was.
Springeri is still in our tank.

Second pic is from the web. google red flatworms.
84892a17359284b19fbc69f64292b3a3.jpg
4b6acf9be4dc01c0adfbbb51180c6c32.jpg

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this locally here in Cedar Rapids Iowa. My friend is getting more in, I'm not sure where he orders from. This one is about 2.5 inches and I paid $60 for it.

That is a good price. Wish I could find them locally here in Dallas. I've seen them upwards to $200 online. Depends on the colors.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back