OP
OP
ReeferMadness09

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JMLewis, looks like one of those future surprises is now. Happy to post that my snowflake pair have their first clutch of eggs. They could have laid previously which i thought they did but i might have missed. Unfortunately I can't get a good picture of them and the nest because its in the worst place possible and they aren't in my breeding setup either which will prove a pita for sure! Here is a picture of the pair from when i originally got them. Nice color and markings!
20150806_1051181_zpssfrddyxb.jpg

JMLewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JMLewis, looks like one of those future surprises is now. Happy to post that my snowflake pair have their first clutch of eggs. They could have laid previously which i thought they did but i might have missed. Unfortunately I can't get a good picture of them and the nest because its in the worst place possible and they aren't in my breeding setup either which will prove a pita for sure! Here is a picture of the pair from when i originally got them. Nice color and markings!
20150806_1051181_zpssfrddyxb.jpg

Awesome and congrats! Really curious how many will be snowflakes as well. Do you have any info on that?

Without doung any research on it myself I'd suspect the majority will come out regular but have a higher chance some will be snowflake.

I have a black and white snowflake and an ORA Snowflake, they haven't laid any eggs yet but I'd love to see what their offspring would be. A lot of the reason I'm so interested in your thread.

Unfortunately they're in bad shape atm because of a major foul up on my end but hopefully they pull through and I can find out some day!

OP
OP
ReeferMadness09

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks JM. I'm honestly not sure how many would end up being snowflakes. I haven't done tons of research on it but from what i understand the first thing it would depend on is if the snowflake gene is dominant or not. Then you could break out the ol' punnett square (remember that from jr high?? haha) and break the results down. So based on 2 snowflakes as my breeding pair i believe the results would be 50% snowflake, 25% regular and 25% that would get a double dose of snowflake gene. Without getting TOO scientific, the double dose is speculated to be fatal so i dont believe those fish would survive rearing. With your pair, you would probably have similar results.

Maybe someone whos more of a subject matter expert on the gene topic could chime in. If not hopefully yourself or anyone else reading this thread finds the info helpful.

shane91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a great thread to read. Especially since my woman wants to try this herself. So I can help. I'm really interested in a Wyoming white non locally around me

OP
OP
ReeferMadness09

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you found it interesting Shane! Its a project im sure both of you will find really rewarding once you get underway.

chessplayer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown eggs finally hatched last night/ early this morning. It happened on the 8th day. It was a pain collecting the fry from the display with bowl. I collected as many as i could but ended up leaving some in the display. I'm currently working on another system for future easier collection.

This is a picture i snapped of some of the fry collected. I tried to count in the beginning but you can see thats kinda insane.
IMG_2718_zpsfdfc67c6.jpg
there are 180 in there.. I used a software to calculate these.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness09

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats pretty cool, what program is it? Definitely much easier on the eyes that way.

misael888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so it took me a lil over an over but I just read your entire thread. And WoW is all I can say.!! Lots of up and downs but what an amazing job you've done. Congrats on all your success. Looking forward to seeing more and learning. I currently have a wild caught ocellaris and a platinum that started spawning.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a cool thread. Awesome job!!

OP
OP
ReeferMadness09

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy has developed a different pattern, almost like a bicolor angel except black and white. Should be pretty cool to see as it gets bigger!
bicolor_zpsb9re43bu.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool. Never seen one with that pattern. Maybe you can name it and breed for more like them!

OP
OP
ReeferMadness09

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a larval catcher but i'm not currently using it. I've used it in the past and had ok results and other times really bad results. Since all my clowns are in their own individual tanks i just wait for the eggs to hatch and gently collect them with a turkey baster. As far as lesson, im not sure. If you want to get into breeding quickly pick up an older established pair or currently breeding pair. Easiest way for me is to have the clowns in their own tank. While you're waiting for them to start spawning...read read and read some more so you can start your rot culture and have everything ready without problem when you start getting eggs. This way you can focus all your attention on getting the larvae to survive and not have to worry about the rest. Most importantly dont give up so easy as the beginning can be a bumpy road!

OP
OP
ReeferMadness09

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rotifers are the first food you'll need. I started my culture immediately after i noticed my clowns had laid eggs. Rotifers multiply quickly so within 4 days or so you could start harvesting them to feed. Some people switch over to baby brine shrimp as early as the 5th day. I find myself transitioning between the 2 food for a little longer than that. I've read some people skip brine all together and use otohime or tdo i think.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness09

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update

Not much to report on honestly. I've been struggling with culturing live phyto, who would have thought it would be such a pita! I've had limited success with it but it had caused quite a bit of headache and my rot cultures really suffered. In the end I've gone back to rgcomplete as it just makes life MUCH simpler. While this phyto battle raged on my success rearing clowns has been 0% for one reason or another, too much going on in life i guess. Things seem to be getting back to normal and with eggs laid hopefully I'll have more to post about.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back