OP
OP
ReeferMadness09

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair that have been on a break for months. They laid eggs 1 time and havent since. Theres been some changes happen with the tank theyre in such as a temp drop and lighting changes which probably didnt help. A constant stable tank in the best way to keep things going but fish are weird so who knows

reefhobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair that have been on a break for months. They laid eggs 1 time and havent since. Theres been some changes happen with the tank theyre in such as a temp drop and lighting changes which probably didnt help. A constant stable tank in the best way to keep things going but fish are weird so who knows
Could a 2.5- 3inch midnight female and 1.25 inch flurry male clownfish breed

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read! I stopped using RG complete. It is expensive when you add shipping. Reed Mariculture has frozen nannochloropsis. It last a lot longer. It isnt enhanced like RG complete though.

Richie49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, the clowns are now hosting the pot and the female is now becoming aggressive towards the tang when it comes near the pot, is this a sign that she may be becoming ready?

OP
OP
ReeferMadness09

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, the clowns are now hosting the pot and the female is now becoming aggressive towards the tang when it comes near the pot, is this a sign that she may be becoming ready?
It could be but it also could be the clownfish defending their new home. Rotifers are pretty easy to culture so I'd hold off on doing that until you actually have eggs.

Boom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KIMG0048.JPG

Mine stopped laying in September. I moved them out of a 40g broodstock tank into a 29g nano in the living room. Their first clutch of the season was laid on 2-17-16. They should hatch tonight and tomorrow night. Pretty close to the full moon! I purposely placed the tank so the morning sun hits it. As sunrises earlier every day. Last year I used a daylight savings timer to stimulate spawn.
Do your pairs ever take a break?

Here they are in the bleached anemone I'm rehabbing.

KIMG0046.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReeferMadness09

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think when our clownfish take a break from laying eggs it is because something in their environment has changed. I'm not sure there is a "season" for the clowns to spawn in our tank since it is more or less a controlled stable environment 24/7. I do think that if the tank is located somewhere that sees both hot and cold temperatures it could make it seem seasonal. Example, I live where it gets hot in the summer and pretty cold in the winter and as the temperature in my house swings it can impact my tank temp especially on those really cold days. Its just a subtle way the environment can change that could cause the clowns to take a break.

Its interesting that this topic came up again as I also have a pair that hasn't laid eggs for months and appears to finally be spawning again tonight. My tanks aren't located in a room that sees natural light so for them I don't think it has anything to do with sunrise/set. I think its just more that this particular pair are finicky and don't handle any change well. I have other pairs where i can change just about anything, even move them from tank to tank, and they pretty much wont skip a beat spawning. Just like with each fish having a different personality, its seems that they can each be particular in their own way.

The maroons look great by the way!

Boom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on how our fish can behave "by the book" -- or not. I removed the entire rock structure on the right to the other DT this afternoon. I thought they were laying again in two days. With all the commotion she was TICKED OFF , they STILL laid the biggest clutch yet. I never would have moved anything if I had known I would be disturbing their Afternoon Delight!

Boom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I talk to clownfish keepers in my town , I'm also starting to lean towards temperature cues and the lunar cycles affecting spawn vs photoperiod. The gravitational pull of the Moon affects anything containing water like an ocean, or a lunatic, or a germinating seed, right?

Richie49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they will be mocha clownfish, I am trying to get my black and orange ones to breed. @mrfixit

OP
OP
ReeferMadness09

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, an orange and white clown paired with a black and white clown will result in mochas. These are the clowns i started breeding. They're like a fine wine as the color just keeps getting better the older they get!

Richie49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get mine to start breeding, they get real aggressive when something gets near their clay pot and they both dig in the sand in front of the pot

BossGT911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KIMG0048.JPG

Mine stopped laying in September. I moved them out of a 40g broodstock tank into a 29g nano in the living room. Their first clutch of the season was laid on 2-17-16. They should hatch tonight and tomorrow night. Pretty close to the full moon! I purposely placed the tank so the morning sun hits it. As sunrises earlier every day. Last year I used a daylight savings timer to stimulate spawn.

Here they are in the bleached anemone I'm rehabbing.

KIMG0046.JPG

those are so gorgeous you need to send a pic when there are babies

Back