My first cement/rod rockscape

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture first. I took about 3 days to do this and just finished up tonight.
WP_20160624_23_04_59_Pro.jpg

This picture is about 95% complete. I took it before cementing in the last two pieces. You can't see the rod anymore and I packed crevices that could use support with hydraulic cement. The goal was to create more areas of light for higher need frags in a tall tank (36 bowfront). I have three high light shelves at the top and I am thinking of trying to get some Cyphastrea to grow over the old brain coral skeleton in the lower right.

I taped out a footprint on the garage floor (roughly 8 x 10) and tried to keep everything in there. This weighs 13 pounds (That should be ok for that footprint, yes? I don't want to crack the bototm of my tank because of too much weight) and will come within an inch or two of the water line depending on how much I bury it. The whole things seems stable. I have three heavy rocks cemented together to form the base and I tried to counterbalance each level.

I let it cure for a while and then I put it in a bucket of saltwater. How long should I let it cure in that bucket before introducing it to my tank? I am leaving town Sunday for a few days. Should I just let it set until I get back next week, or are these things pretty good to go once they have had 24-48 hours to set?

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool! great job!

OP
OP
shollis2814

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the tower in and moved some frags over.
WP_20160704_14_18_56_Pro.jpg

There is a natural lean to it that makes me uneasy, even though I have put it on the floor and jumped around and tried to knock it over. It's just the way the rocks fit into one another. It is modular. The rock with the frogspawn is the joint. The fiberglass rod goes 2-3" down into the rock below. I didn't plan it that way, but the cement didn't hold well there, and it made it a lot easier to get the base in and situated, and then the top part.

WP_20160704_14_19_34_Pro.jpg

Blastos are ticked at being moved, but my diamond goby wasted no time in claiming the base as his new...base.

WP_20160704_14_09_04_Pro.jpg

Cyphastrea up above. I am hoping it will encrust the brain skeleton.

WP_20160704_14_09_13_Pro.jpg

I like my frogspawn coming out of the side, but I think it is too shaded. I might have to end up moving it again.

WP_20160704_14_35_48_Pro.jpg

Birds nest front and center.
WP_20160704_14_08_36_Pro.jpg

I forget what this one is.

WP_20160704_14_08_43_Pro.jpg

Tiny frags of Superman Montipora
WP_20160704_14_08_56_Pro.jpg

I forget what this one is. It has gotten bumpier since I had it in the tank. It's up near the top in some good flow, so I hope it takes off.

There is another frag around back of the last shot.
So far, I am pleased. It's a little big for this tank, but I hope one day to upgrade to a 55 or 75, so I was building for the future :)

eric.battani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes you worried about it leaning, you could get a couple thick sheets of acrylic/polycarbonate to make a stable base by drilling some holes in the acrylic, then drill some matching holes in the base of your tower and use zip ties to hold it together. You can bury the acrylic under your sandbed and you will never see it.
How long did you let the tower cure before placing it in your tank?

eric.battani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1454817137.474304.jpg

Here is a picture of the way I used the acrylic sheets to make my rock work look like it's defying gravity. My sand covers all the acrylic so you can't see any of the zip bands or acrylic

OP
OP
shollis2814

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes you worried about it leaning, you could get a couple thick sheets of acrylic/polycarbonate to make a stable base by drilling some holes in the acrylic, then drill some matching holes in the base of your tower and use zip ties to hold it together. You can bury the acrylic under your sandbed and you will never see it.
How long did you let the tower cure before placing it in your tank?

I used hydraulic cement. I let it sit in a 5 gallon bucket of water and I changed the water every day for a week until ph and alkalinity stabilized. I started with tap water, but as things slowed down I put in the same LFS salt water I use for water changes. I let it sit for a couple of days with no noticeable changes in pH or alkalinity in the bucket. About 10 days total.

Watching things carefully in the DT and watching for shifts, but I think it's OK. I have read of some folks using this hydraulic cement and putting it in their tank the next day.

OP
OP
shollis2814

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, some of the rocks are at an angle while the center isn't as much as it looks. Just took these from a different angle.

WP_20160704_15_09_33_Pro.jpg
WP_20160704_15_10_11_Pro.jpg

And this kind of confirms I need to move my Frogspawn.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back