My first day of dosing neonitro

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today was my first day dosing neonitro to raise nitrate of 5ppm.

I changed water yesterday and tested it, Nitrate was at around 1 (Salifer) and phosphate was at .19 (Hanna)

Based on the instruction for my 120g with 30 sump, I dosed roughly a cupful and a half (7ml).

also, my new 73g tank has nothing but two corals was tested zero,so I dumped a cupful in as well.

now question, does it matter where you pour the neonitro? I poured it in the sump prior to two baffles of filter sponges.

How long did you have to dose before seeing any changes? I am planning on daily dosing and test after 24hours.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t matter where you add it except away from organisms, and you can test as soon as it mixes in (might just be a few minutes unless you have an extended sump). Test 24 h later and it may be used up.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t matter where you add it except away from organisms, and you can test as soon as it mixes in (might just be a few minutes unless you have an extended sump). Test 24 h later and it may be used up.
But let say my target is 5ppm, if I test right after dosing and yield 5ppm. At that point would I continue to dose daily and if so when do I stop?

After 24 hours, if it’s still 1ppm at least I still need to dose till my target is reach.

am I correct?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But let say my target is 5ppm, if I test right after dosing and yield 5ppm. At that point would I continue to dose daily and if so when do I stop?

After 24 hours, if it’s still 1ppm at least I still need to dose till my target is reach.

am I correct?

There's no way to hold it at a target unless you dose every few minutes, so it will vary from a low right before dosing to a high right after dosing

A reasonable target is 0-2 ppm before dosing and 2-5 or 10 ppm after dosing daily.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: my nitrate gone up to around 5ppm by neonitro. My feeding had been reduced from 3 cubes of mysis to two. My phosphate was at around .23. I have always been running carbon and a bit of gfo in the reactor 24/7.

Now, when should I turn my skimmer back on?

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you turn it off? To keep nitrate from being too low? if so, I'd turn it on now.
I turned it down because my nitrate was like 1. Now it’s around 5ppm after I dosed nitrate and phosphate is at around .23. 5 or under should be a good number for a mixed reef right? Will the skimmer be skim out too much to a point than I have to dose again?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned it down because my nitrate was like 1. Now it’s around 5ppm after I dosed nitrate and phosphate is at around .23. 5 or under should be a good number for a mixed reef right? Will the skimmer be skim out too much to a point than I have to dose again?

I'm not sure the skimmer is going to be a deciding factor in the need to dose again, but 2-10 ppm is good for a mixed reef, and dosing again is not unexpected. I would run the skimmer.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back