My first diy Sump/ refugium build

Ras Bubbles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here Is my first Sump/refugium attempt any insight from the sump wizards would be well appreciated.

IMG_2965.JPG
IMG_2969.JPG

Brace coming soon

OP
OP
Ras Bubbles

Ras Bubbles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some pretty thick PVC boards laying around, so I used that for everything but the viewing panel.

Citycop89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no sump wizard and therefore no expert. But with the baffle layout and height, that sump looks like it’s going to be filled pretty high. Make sure there is enough room for water to drain into the sump and not overflow in case of a return pump failure or something of that nature.

I sure like the look of the pvc and clear viewing side. Very nice work. Perhaps a write up on how you made it with those materials?

OP
OP
Ras Bubbles

Ras Bubbles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no sump wizard and therefore no expert. But with the baffle layout and height, that sump looks like it’s going to be filled pretty high. Make sure there is enough room for water to drain into the sump and not overflow in case of a return pump failure or something of that nature.

I sure like the look of the pvc and clear viewing side. Very nice work. Perhaps a write up on how you made it with those materials?

Good eye @Citycop89,I do have some cut outs so the water can flow over the baffles in the overflow drain section. More pics coming.

IMG_3190.JPG

I do plan on bracing the seams with some strips of pvc.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good you may need to make a stand for the skimmer to get it at the right water level, just make sure you have enough vertical clearance for that. other than that and leaving space above the baffles looks good to water test.

OP
OP
Ras Bubbles

Ras Bubbles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3228.JPG
IMG_3229.JPG
IMG_3231.JPG
Hey all!! Sorry for the lack of development, work has been busy lately. Here's a little bracing.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that pipe with the tee supposed to be the overflow pipe from the DT?

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get rid of that thing. It’s a good spot for the pipe to plug.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Dan_P , I built a 44” one for my currently running tank.
The craftsmanship is amazing and the design looks like you spent quite a bit of time on. Is it performing as you expected? Any unanticipated surprises us fellow DIY’ers should know about?

Back