My first gigantea nem

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I received in my first gigantea after searching for a couple months. I searched for the best deal I could get and a more acclimated gig. This came from a seller who had it in his tank for 2 months. As you can see it looks a bit bleached but she was very sticky and looks healthy other than the bleaching. Turned off all flow and she grabbed onto the the rock I planned her to be on with a nice crevice in it also next to some mini maxis. So the seller had her under t5's which is what I'm running. She'll be housed in my 30x30x24 cube with an mp40 and a ATI 24" 8 bulb fixture (bulbs and fixture are 3 weeks old). I have the light suspended 12" off the water and the gig is about 25" from the light. So any experts or users with experience with these awesome animals please share. Looks like my clowns have found her. My female is in her right now. The male is looking at her but he has never hosted an anemone before it's always been the female. Should I acclimate the gig by raising my fixture? What could cause her to bleach and how can I combat that? Should I feed her some fresh shrimp or silverside immediately? My parameters are as followed: no4 3ppm po4 is .06 pH is 7.9 during day ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 temp is usually 77. I also have a 4" dsb. Any input would be much appreciated. I want to do whats best for her :). I've housed haddonis with no issue but I'm aware they're easier. I have some bta's in my tank also, a 6" sunburst and my lemon drop bta should be arriving tuesday. Thanks reefas

Attachments

• purple gig nem.jpg
    purple gig nem.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 342
OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by the way the picture is with no lighting just some sunlight coming through the shades and about 40 minutes after I put her in.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Gigantea! He should color up very nice in 2-3 months.

OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided to do some updates weekly showing progress of color and growth. So after 1 small PE mysis feeding (didn't want to overwhelm her the fist night) I came home after work to see she actually looked to have colored up. Her tentacles are more darker looking. Pretty crazy maybe it's in my head. She is sprout out like a tempurpedic matress and looks happy. I can say I'm ecstatic to finally have one of these! I can see why people dedicate tanks or these animals. Anyways here is a picture of her today which looks like she has a darker pigmentation in alot of areas today.

Attachments

• gigantea day 2 (2).jpg
    gigantea day 2 (2).jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 233
  • gigantea day 2 mouth.jpg
    gigantea day 2 mouth.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 224
  • gigantea day 2 tentacles (2).jpg
    gigantea day 2 tentacles (2).jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 229
  • gigantea day 2 tentacles.jpg
    gigantea day 2 tentacles.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 257
  • gigantea day 2.jpg
    gigantea day 2.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 232

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far! If he deflates only twice, I would not waste time. Treat quickly.

There's different deflations. If he deflates, mouth comes open, and looses stickyness...treat the first time.

OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thansk Reefaholic however I have never treated an anemone. I've read some threads (orion on RC) but do I buy 500mg cipro pills and dissolve in water? I would love to know more about this procedure in case she does take a turn for the worse.

OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update week 2: The gig is eating well, feeding her some PE mysis and chopped up fresh raw shrimp from grocery store twice a week. She is starting to darken up in some areas but still has bleach patches. I've kept my temperature around 76-77 but I've been told gigs like higher temps around 80 so I'm slowly raising my temperature. The mouth looks tight and good still. The clowns are very protective of their new home. I'll see them spitting out here poop every now and then cleaning her, coolest thing evee imo lol.

Attachments

• week 2 (2).jpg
    week 2 (2).jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 179
  • week 2 mouth.jpg
    week 2 mouth.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 198
  • week 2.jpg
    week 2.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 177
OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update week 3: She is still eating well twice a week! I've noticed a color difference lately. Really starting to color up but hard to tell in cell phone photos. The clowns however guard their home like no tomorrow. If any of my fish or inverts go within a certain distance they will run them out which becomes a bit annoying at times.

Attachments

• week 3 (2).jpg
    week 3 (2).jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 177
  • week 3 mouth.jpg
    week 3 mouth.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 148
  • week 3 (3).jpg
    week 3 (3).jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 187
  • week 3.jpg
    week 3.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 230
OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Missed last week's post sorry. I added a few new additions to my carpet cube! A beautiful bright pink/red haddoni 14" fully open and a small 5" green gig, another rescue sort of but I got her at a great deal. The purple gig still seems good as I upped my flow a bit. Still looking to add another pump for extra flow, most likely going to buy a gyre XF130 or another mp40. I worry about the gyre since there are no foam guards and it's an anemone tank. Anyways, the purple seems OK to me but not as great as I thought it would be. It's possible the new additions stressed her a bit. She has moved a bit on her rock back and forth maybe flow related? The tentacle extension seems great to me but she still seems to light to me. I was hoping she would be completely recovered color wise by now with the feedings I give her but I'm guessing my flow isn't perfect for her which is why she is moving around on her rock. I did lower my T5 lights an inch so now they're 9"above my water surface. I can't ramp up my MP40 anymore than 60% which is where it's at now without affecting everything else in the tank which is why I'm thinking a secondary gyre (I have a perfect place for it too) would be great. Here are the pictures of her today and I would like to hear some feedback gig lovers. Does it look like she is progressing quick enough? Thanks

Attachments

• red-pink haddoni.jpg
    red-pink haddoni.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 155
  • week 5 (2).jpg
    week 5 (2).jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 162
  • week 5 (4).jpg
    week 5 (4).jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 171
  • week 5 (3).jpg
    week 5 (3).jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 149
  • week 5 mouth.jpg
    week 5 mouth.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 159
  • week 5.jpg
    week 5.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 142
OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like she is on the move up the rock. I wonder if she is after the green gig up there. There isn't really a great crevice up there that she can plant in so it'll be wasted trip

Attachments

• week 5 moving (2).jpg
    week 5 moving (2).jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 154
  • week 5 moving.jpg
    week 5 moving.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 189

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back