OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been some time and I've changed lighting and aquascaping in my tank. The purple has really started reconvering her zooxanthellae. She still has blotchy bleached patches however I'm confident she will fully recover he color within the next few months. I changed lighting recently and went from an ATI 8 bulb T5 fixture to a Giesemann 250w MH/T5 4 bulb combo (1 week ago). I also added another MP40 for extra flow which she appreciated. I have since purchased 2 other gigs, a small bleached green gig that is doing amazing and a large healthy green gig around 16" when fully open. I've been feeding them fresh salmon with no additives and they've done great. I also added a gonzo yellow sunburst bta that was about 4" which was on my bucket list from gonzo directly. A friend and I cut it in half successfully, thank gosh since it's a $500 anemone. My half was a bit larger but it healed very fast and has more than doubled in size in about a month. Some pics of the progress below.

purple gig.jpg

purple gig (2).jpg

green machine (2).jpg

green machine (3).jpg

green machine.jpg

gonzo sunburst bta.jpg

Gonzo yellow sunburst daylight.jpg

Gonzo yellow sunburst T5\'s.jpg

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those guys are looking great!

Make sure that guy is getting good flow. I did a couple real short clips of flow mine like. I have mp40 on opposite ends sinked together on reef rest random at 100% on a 75 gallon 4' long tank. Wet side is about 4" (too close IMO) to the nems on each side, but they love it.

Here is as slow as it gets

Here is on almost high, it gets slightly more turbulent, but not much.

If those LPS were in my tank, they wouldn't open from the high flow I have, that's what makes me question if the flow is too low, your LPS are looking really good.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That guy is still in acclimation period, and will be for some time. If it was me, I wouldn't rush to get a gyre just from this issue. I think you can use cheap smaller powerheads on the glass aimed to get just as good/better results, until it stabilizes and settles longer term.
Sorry, I don't know what happened to my video links, but here is different video, hopefully these work. Shows what the flow is like on my 75.

Low:
http://vid256.photobucket.com/albums/hh180/dave1748/Mobile Uploads/trim.Zgtji1_zpsqwz4vddm.mp4

High:
http://vid256.photobucket.com/albums/hh180/dave1748/Mobile Uploads/trim.WRHzZx_zpsaetfzgyk.mp4
Purple gig on the right is planted through the gravel like a haddoni to the bottom of the tank.

OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have my MP40's up 80% now. What mode do you use? I've been using both on reefcrest. The footprint of my tank is 30x30 so it's actually more difficult for me to get the perfect flow on this tank. On my old 75 and 55 it was so easier to get the flow I wanted with these Vortechs since they were 4ft long and only 12/18" wide. Right now I have the 2 MP40's on the back wall of the tank. Once I upped my flow to 80% my torches didn't seem to fair well but I'll be trading them in soon.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mine on reef crest too, sinc together, opposite walls of the tank. Being on the same wall, you won't get as varied patterns.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the mode that I get good results from. Mine are on sinced together at 100%. I'm not sure I would turn yours that high, yet. Mine aren't on the same tank wall though. So how is your green doing?

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres some food for thought. One of my blue gigs decided the sps growth cut its flow down enough, it walked over to the other blue gig to steal its spot a few weeks ago. It blocked the flow enough the original guy started deflating. I added a korallia power head, solved the problem. Both stay inflated all the time, look great now, looks like one anemone most the time now. I tell/show you only to explain, you have to do what you have to in order to keep your gig inflated all the time. They aren't all at the same spot health wise, some need more or less of x,y, or z. So you have to be the judge of what it needs, in order to get it properly acclimated, long term. Anyways, here's my blues. They trade off, sometimes the left is more dominant than the right, vise versa.

image.jpg

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The korallia points right at the blues. When the mp40 ramps up, it steals flow from the korallia. The blue gigs lose flow, but the tank overall gains. Mp40 ramps down, korallia hits the blue gigs harder. What in trying to convey, sometimes you need to be creative in finding a flow pattern. Don't blindly rely on just one pump to create what they need. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. Getting flow right can be hard, you may need a combination to do it. I hope you figure it out, I love success stories!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back