My fIrst marine build

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone thinking of using https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/aquarium-supplies/coralline-algae-bottle/ I am very happy with the results as of today. its only been about 3 weeks and I have spots of coralline all over my rock today. I started out with everything dry (even rinsed the live sand in RO so may as well have been dry). I have not added the CUC yet so its all from the bottle. I did order CUC and chaeto from reefcleaners today. I ordered the 20 gallon pack since the 65 seemed like too much for such a fresh aquarium.
I've been debating the purple/pink helix...geuss I'll pull the trigger and try it.

OP
OP
Conovan

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been debating the purple/pink helix...geuss I'll pull the trigger and try it.
coralline spots.jpg

around the back side of the rocks has thicker spots but still impressed to have any growth considering I just added it 3 weeks ago.

OP
OP
Conovan

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the delivery from reef cleaners. looks like everything came in 100% live with a bit more than what I ordered. It was packaged in a bubble wrap bag with 2 cold packs. the hemits and snails bagged with wet papper towels and the emerald crab in water.

OP
OP
Conovan

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy nero 5's invest in some of those 3d printed guards. I lost my Royal gramma to one of the pumps today after one of the freshly added clean up crew scared him out of his cave.

OP
OP
Conovan

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9052020.jpg

Wonder why the snails and hermits don't seem to like the rocks at the back or the left but constantly graze on the arch and front rocks.

OP
OP
Conovan

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10012020.jpg

I added a carpenter's wrasse, a twin spot goby, a banded coral shrimp, and a porcelain crab. The coralline from a bottle seems to be encrusting just fine. I don't know if its my lighting or what but it doesn't look purple or pink; more like brick red to me.
I think I will be upgrading more quickly than I thought. When I got that yellow tang it was the size of a quater. The tang has already grown 3 times that size so early next year I will be buying a 5-6 foot tank.. I think, for now though, my next step is to either buy a seneye or rent a par meter and tune my lights to get ready for adding coral. I am leaning more towards the seneye since I could use it for lights and the next tanks cycle.

OP
OP
Conovan

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't posted in a while. I am dealing with dino. It's been a long haul but I see less every day. can't wait till I look at the tank and it is all gone.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back