My First Monti Cap bleached overnight

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to IO Reef Crystals from standard IO a few weeks ago. So the Alk has been rising steadily with each WC. It was pretty low before I made the switch and was getting into the mid to low 7's between changes
You defiantly should try to avoid the alk swings at all if possible. That is probably why things are struggling if they go from 7 to high 9's every week.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is my goal! I got a years supply of reef crystals and wont be trying any other salts unless something goes terribly wrong.

I'm wondering I I should be running chemi pure blue. This is a low tech tank with no skimmer or nutrient export aside from the Hob and weekly water changes. I'm worried it may cause more issues though.
I use chemipure blue in my sump but mainly rely on my fuge and skimmer for export.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a heavy consumer of IORC and it is a fine salt for SPS. Yeah, it leaves behind some clay colored residue but I don't care.

The thing to keep in mind though is how high it mixes ALK. I get 10.5 to 11 easily. I run my systems at 7.7 or so with very high ALK consumption and roughly 15% WCs every two weeks, so it is not a problem. If I HAD TO DO a large WC, I would need to knock down the ALK a little.

Just keep in mind that if you have light consumption and frequent or large WCs, your ALK is going to keep climbing.

OP
OP
J

Jcon82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a heavy consumer of IORC and it is a fine salt for SPS. Yeah, it leaves behind some clay colored residue but I don't care.

The thing to keep in mind though is how high it mixes ALK. I get 10.5 to 11 easily. I run my systems at 7.7 or so with very high ALK consumption and roughly 15% WCs every two weeks, so it is not a problem. If I HAD TO DO a large WC, I would need to knock down the ALK a little.

Just keep in mind that if you have light consumption and frequent or large WCs, your ALK is going to keep climbing.
That makes sense. I'm going to lower my WC's to 10-12% (5gal) rather than the 10 gallon changes I've been doing. I reviewed my journal and it seems like my tank wants to live around 9-9.3 ALK with IORC but that may continue to rise.

By knocking down ALK do you mean mixing to a lower salinity?

OP
OP
J

Jcon82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested No3 (10ppm) and P04 (0.03ppm) last night. its been 4 days since the last 20$ water change.

I ordered some Chemi Pure Blue after testing and verifying that Po4 was acceptable

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested No3 (10ppm) and P04 (0.03ppm) last night. its been 4 days since the last 20$ water change.

I ordered some Chemi Pure Blue after testing and verifying that Po4 was acceptable
Those levels are pretty much perfect. I'm guessing your issue is with the alk swings. Test today and then at the same time tomorrow and figure out how much is its dropping in a day. Then you can supplement that to keep it steady. I would try to keep it in the 8-9 dkh range if at all possible. We found that is a really good spot.

OP
OP
J

Jcon82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those levels are pretty much perfect. I'm guessing your issue is with the alk swings. Test today and then at the same time tomorrow and figure out how much is its dropping in a day. Then you can supplement that to keep it steady. I would try to keep it in the 8-9 dkh range if at all possible. We found that is a really good spot.
Would you say no to the chemi pure blue?

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way you can hook up a small HOB Protein Skimmer for this tank? That would be one of the best ways to remove organics from the water.

OP
OP
J

Jcon82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see an organics or nutrient problem in your data.
My research has led me to think I should be keeping organics and nitrate as low as possible during this phase of my tank. As I mentioned earlier I do test nitrate but have trouble interpreting the results (shades of pink are far too similar) so while I think it could be 10ppm it may also be 25ppm. Id feel better wondering if it was 5 or 10 instead. My nitrate readings are more or less consistent before and after water changes too which makes me think I need some help. The water gets a bit cloudy at times too.

My first Hanna checkers will definitely be No3 and P04!

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrate readings are more or less consistent before and after water changes too which makes me think I need some help.

If we assume your nitrate is 25, and you do a 20% water change and add water with 0 nitrates, you're reducing your nitrates by 5 ppm.

If we assume nitrate is 10, you're reducing your nitrate by 2 ppm. The test kit your using doesn't have enough resolution to detect the change in nitrate. You're not doing anything wrong, your test kit just isn't able to measure the small change you're making.

My tank is a few months younger than yours. Also a 40b. I've got a monti cap (and some other monti, and acros) that have good PE and are growing. You're at a good spot. Stop chasing numbers and focus on keeping them stable. If you bottom our your nutrients, you'll create new issues since coral seems to handle high nutrients better than low/no nutrients. And the closer you get to no nutrients, the easier it is to go off the rails entirely.

When you're able to reach a point of stability, then you can start playing around with nutrient levels, alkalinity, etc. But for now, leave things be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jcon82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we assume your nitrate is 25, and you do a 20% water change and add water with 0 nitrates, you're reducing your nitrates by 5 ppm.

If we assume nitrate is 10, you're reducing your nitrate by 2 ppm. The test kit your using doesn't have enough resolution to detect the change in nitrate. You're not doing anything wrong.

My tank is a few months younger than yours. Also a 40b. I've got a monti cap (and some other monti, and acros) that have good PE and are growing. Stop chasing numbers and focus on keeping them stable. If you bottom our your nutrients, you'll create new issues since coral seems to handle high nutrients better than no nutrients.
Should I hold off on the chemi pure then? I can just keep it for an emergency.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. I'm going to lower my WC's to 10-12% (5gal) rather than the 10 gallon changes I've been doing. I reviewed my journal and it seems like my tank wants to live around 9-9.3 ALK with IORC but that may continue to rise.

By knocking down ALK do you mean mixing to a lower salinity?
No, still 1.026.

I just add some SeaChem Acid Buffer to the mixing barrel to lower the alkalinity. It does the side effect of adding CO2 and hammering pH, so I than have to let that gas off for a day. I run a big butt Mag 24 pump in the barrel for a day and it is fine.

OP
OP
J

Jcon82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tested on Friday and today. Friday Alk was 8.9 and today it was 8.4. After my WC on Monday it was 9.3.

Would All4Reef be a good way to stabilize my alk along with the other parameters?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back