My first reef set up (10 gallon tank)

ComicalSans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, sorry for lurking for a while before finally posting my build thread, but it's finally here!

There isn't entirely much to show off yet, but here's what I have. The current occupants are:

- Murasachi (Strawberry Pseudochromis)
- Ahab (Red Leg Hermit)
- Scissor-hands (Blue Leg Hermit)
- Kenyan Tree Coral (unnamed)

I'll provide more updates with more information and pictures as developments happen.

IMG_20231006_091007232.jpg IMG_20231007_075803217.jpg IMG_20231008_073559940.jpg IMG_20231008_073614389.jpg IMG_20231008_074118742.jpg

OP
OP
C

ComicalSans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using LR or cured base rock, scape has potential when you add coral..

keep us updated i will check in from time to time.
I believe it was live rock? It was white at the store, but it's developed a bit of algae that the hermit crabs eat and keep at bay now. I don't entirety know the difference, sorry.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock is mostly harvested from the ocean and comes wet. It already is covered with all the bacteria needed for an instant cycle. It is usually populated with with all kinds of diversity, macro algae, coralline algae , worms, pods snails, crabs etc. Great source of beneficial biodiversity.

OP
OP
C

ComicalSans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock is mostly harvested from the ocean and comes wet. It already is covered with all the bacteria needed for an instant cycle. It is usually populated with with all kinds of diversity, macro algae, coralline algae , worms, pods snails, crabs etc. Great source of beneficial biodiversity.
Ah, gotcha. Then I don't think it was either. It was a dry white rock. The person selling it said they had been dipped in beneficial bacteria, and I'd be inclined to believe him since the tank cycled pretty well and started algae growth on its own with minimal outside influence. But I don't remember the brand name of the rocks. Though I have been snooping around the coralline threads because I've started to notice a bright neon orange algae on the rock.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back