Buckerberg's Reefer 170

Buckerberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reef2reef,

Been lurking around the forums already for a few months while setting up my first reef tank after 10+ years of freshwater systems.
Seems fitting to start a build thread in retrospect

Here is my journey so far:

Setup a Reefer 170 at the end of September/start of October

Equipment:
  • Red sea reefer 170
  • Red sea reefled90
  • Red sea 5500 DC return pump
  • Red sea DC skimmer 300
  • Red sea reefrun controller
  • Red sea reefwave 25
  • Redsea reef Ato+
  • Eheim Thermocontrol 150W
IMG_1785.jpeg

Initial setup went smoothly and a day later the enitre system was setup

IMG_1803.jpeg

I used dubblesided tape to secure the controllers and power bricks on the inside of the cabinet. (Ignore the cable mess )
In the meantime I also added a Inkbird heater controller.

IMG_1802.jpeg

The water reservoir was very small and so I opted to not use it for now and use a 25L jug as a reservoir.

I wanted to start with dry rock so I got +/- 20kg of rock labeled Indonesia dry base rock and got chopping to try to create a NSA aquascape but ended up building a tree-like structure using Corafix 2 part epoxy to glue everything together.
1703768604654.png

Added a layer of aragonite sand and I started the tank with Natural sea water from my local LFS. Filled up I estimate the total water volume to be around 140L.
To cycle the tank I used the Red Sea Reef mature kit.

1703768856347.png

Tank took about a month and a half to cycle, in the meantime I did get myself a RO/DI unit and switched from Natural sea water to the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. The Natural sea water caused a big drop in ALK on every water change so I had to dose extra everytime which made it unstable. Since switching over to the coral pro salt I got ALK stable at about 9 with minimal extra ALK dosing (3ml/day of Red Sea coraline gro).

Now lets fast forward to the current day: after cycling I started to add some livestock
Current stocking includes
Invertebrates:
- 2 nassarius snails
- 2 turbo snails
- 2 trochuns snails
- 2 blue-legged hermits
- 1 fire shrimp
Fish:
- 2 Percula clownfish
- 1 lawnmower blenny

Also started adding some corals started with a small Zoanthid colony which seems to thrive so I added some extra corals last weekend
Current coral stocking:
- Zoanthids
- Hammer coral
- Alveopora coral
- Duncan Coral

Parameters:
- ALK: 9
- N03: 2
- PO4: 0.02
- pH : 8.2
- Salinity: 35

Full tank shot (still need to get myself a orange filter lens to take better pictures)

1703769846861.png

Everything is going slow but steady so far mainly film algae showed up and some hair algae so far.
More updates to follow soon!

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reef2reef,

Been lurking around the forums already for a few months while setting up my first reef tank after 10+ years of freshwater systems.
Seems fitting to start a build thread in retrospect

Here is my journey so far:

Setup a Reefer 170 at the end of September/start of October

Equipment:
  • Red sea reefer 170
  • Red sea reefled90
  • Red sea 5500 DC return pump
  • Red sea DC skimmer 300
  • Red sea reefrun controller
  • Red sea reefwave 25
  • Redsea reef Ato+
  • Eheim Thermocontrol 150W
IMG_1785.jpeg

Initial setup went smoothly and a day later the enitre system was setup

IMG_1803.jpeg

I used dubblesided tape to secure the controllers and power bricks on the inside of the cabinet. (Ignore the cable mess )
In the meantime I also added a Inkbird heater controller.

IMG_1802.jpeg

The water reservoir was very small and so I opted to not use it for now and use a 25L jug as a reservoir.

I wanted to start with dry rock so I got +/- 20kg of rock labeled Indonesia dry base rock and got chopping to try to create a NSA aquascape but ended up building a tree-like structure using Corafix 2 part epoxy to glue everything together.
1703768604654.png

Added a layer of aragonite sand and I started the tank with Natural sea water from my local LFS. Filled up I estimate the total water volume to be around 140L.
To cycle the tank I used the Red Sea Reef mature kit.

1703768856347.png

Tank took about a month and a half to cycle, in the meantime I did get myself a RO/DI unit and switched from Natural sea water to the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. The Natural sea water caused a big drop in ALK on every water change so I had to dose extra everytime which made it unstable. Since switching over to the coral pro salt I got ALK stable at about 9 with minimal extra ALK dosing (3ml/day of Red Sea coraline gro).

Now lets fast forward to the current day: after cycling I started to add some livestock
Current stocking includes
Invertebrates:
- 2 nassarius snails
- 2 turbo snails
- 2 trochuns snails
- 2 blue-legged hermits
- 1 fire shrimp
Fish:
- 2 Percula clownfish
- 1 lawnmower blenny

Also started adding some corals started with a small Zoanthid colony which seems to thrive so I added some extra corals last weekend
Current coral stocking:
- Zoanthids
- Hammer coral
- Alveopora coral
- Duncan Coral

Parameters:
- ALK: 9
- N03: 2
- PO4: 0.02
- pH : 8.2
- Salinity: 35

Full tank shot (still need to get myself a orange filter lens to take better pictures)

1703769846861.png

Everything is going slow but steady so far mainly film algae showed up and some hair algae so far.
More updates to follow soon!
Great looking start to your tank!

OP
OP
B

Buckerberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to redo my scape today.

Why? Because the tank is next to my WFH desk and the tree in the center blocks a lot of the view from my tank. Want to be able to view most of the tank from that angle.
Also got a few dead spots I want to get more flow going through (spotted some cyano today) and create some more visible cave structures. Now have only 1 cave in the tree base which has my fire shrimp and lawnmower blenny as its permanent residents.

Plan is to keep most of the rock submerged while rescaping. I do have some extra rock in the sump to help create a new scape + i can move some extra rock to the sump while redoing the scape only taking parts of the scape out of the tank as I glue them together using glue + epoxy for some extra strength

After the rescape I am going to mount my 4 corals and maybe get some extra in a few weeks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Buckerberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to redo my scape today.

Why? Because the tank is next to my WFH desk and the tree in the center blocks a lot of the view from my tank. Want to be able to view most of the tank from that angle.
Also got a few dead spots I want to get more flow going through (spotted some cyano today) and create some more visible cave structures. Now have only 1 cave in the tree base which has my fire shrimp and lawnmower blenny as its permanent residents.

Plan is to keep most of the rock submerged while rescaping. I do have some extra rock in the sump to help create a new scape + i can move some extra rock to the sump while redoing the scape only taking parts of the scape out of the tank as I glue them together using glue + epoxy for some extra strength

After the rescape I am going to mount my 4 corals and maybe get some extra in a few weeks!
Rescaped the tank

A lot more caves and visible areas.

Both lawnmower blenny and my fire shrimp are also more active now!

got some white spots now but those will overgrow over the coming weeks
Before
1704307152311.png

1704307166090.png

After:
1704307256808.png
1704307219318.png

OP
OP
B

Buckerberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some progress updates

Got some extra LPS corals to fill out the tank.

Added a conch to get some extra movement in my substrate and got a Royal gramma in quarantine. Might add a fish or 2 in over the next months (suggestions welcome!)

Still some GHA and cyano in the tank.

Parameters are quite stable

Top down shot

IMG_2262.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back