My first reef tank...75g

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided awhile ago that I wanted a reef tank. I needed a hobby to keep my interested; something thats always changing and making me think. For my very first tank ever, I love it. I did do it on a bit of a budget, however I think I will be just fine until I can make some upgrades down the line.

I was going to buy a tank on craigslist/facebook marketplace and then decided to buy a smaller new tank just to be safe. I went with a 75 gallon tank simply because it was on sale, new, and right in front of me. I didnt want to go way overboard with my first tank just in case.... so 75 gallon tank.

I ended up not setting up a sump at this time, to save money and to be able to focus on the tank itself for awhile until I can upgrade to a sump. I ended up getting a marineland 360 canister filter and it seems to be doing great! My water is crystal clear and my levels are stable.

I purchased live wet rock from craigslist about 130 pounds. Which I got for a steal!!! Also from the same person I got 2x 36" tek light T5 6 Lamp with 3 blue and 3 white (i only use 3 blue and 1 white, also I only have 1 of them on this tank, I thought it would be overkill to put both on (feel free to let me know if its not). 2 wavemakers (i dont know the brand, but they are a bit spendy).

I put in 4 bags of sand but i cant remember if they were 20 or 25 pounds each.

Cobalt heater

So I know this is a learning experience for me so I would love any comment or recommedations.

DAY 1 OF CYCLING- Water is cloudy, but you can still make out the aquascape.
20170719_235216.jpg

DAY 9- Tank has finished its cycling, all levels are good and stable. Still watch it for a couple days to make sure.

20170727_211001.jpg

DAY 12- Added 2 fish today, they were 7.99 each. Just in case they didn't survive.

20170727_211025.jpg

DAY 12- Adding a canopy to hide lighting and to look nice. Water is so clear, looks like nothing is in it!

20170729_024050 (2).jpg

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.. . Nice looking set up :)

One word of caution... the humbugs you've got in there could try to kill anything else you add... they are very aggressive (I have 3, they bite my hands when I put them in the tank!)

You may be better off taking them out and trading in for a couple of tank bred clowns, unless you're up for managing that aggression?

OP
OP
NicLongman

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.. . Nice looking set up :)

One word of caution... the humbugs you've got in there could try to kill anything else you add... they are very aggressive (I have 3, they bite my hands when I put them in the tank!)

You may be better off taking them out and trading in for a couple of tank bred clowns, unless you're up for managing that aggression?
Thanks!

OP
OP
NicLongman

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 MONTH UPDATE!
So everything seems to be going good had an algea bloom while I was gone... Both diatom and hair. Cleanup crew purchased and added....I'm adding a couple emerald crabs just cause I need like them. The two fish are a still alive i put them in a couple weeks ago when ammonia levels dropped. They seem to be doing well. Added alot of coral... Kinda jumped the gun...spent way to much but I couldn't help myself....day 4 and they all seem to be happy more come out every day... There's a couple that aren't coming or at all which is concerning but they aren't bleaching So i can only assume they are fine.
Check out my YouTube channel updates

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back