My first reef

Jwink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my build thread. I'll try and start from the beginning when I started before ending up with the 20gallon AIO I have now. May take me a few days to find pics and get them posted. Here's how it started:
20200426_100157.jpg

A Fluval Chi 5g (was freshwater, but the pump failed and I decided to repurpose), a small heater, some Hawaiian black sand, and a Aquaclear 30, a Coralife mini led light, and two live rocks from petco....man did I have a lot of learning to do.
After a few weeks of letting it cycle I broke up the rock so I could rearrange it better and got my first fish. a pair of really really small Ocellaris clowns and my first two frag's a Goni and a Hammer. At this point I had done a little more research and upgraded my filter to a Penguin 100.

20200517_103121.jpg

Everyone was happy and thriving, but then one day I came home and the smaller of the two clowns had decided he wanted to become a carpet fish. Was crushed but learned then I needed some sort of cover. Ended up with a small piece of plexiglass and things were happy for a few months, but I had caught the bug....I wanted more....A few months go by and I started learning about PAR and PUR and what you need to really grow coral and decided to upgrade my lighting. I upgraded to an AI Prime 16HD and not really having plan or really understanding the difference between corals, got what looked good at my LFS frag rack.

20200829_090630.jpg

There it sat for a few months, everyone doing OK but not really growing (except the zoa's). From there I upgraded my freshwater tank out of a 10gallon into a 36 bowfront, and upgraded my little chi into the 10 gallon before making it's way to this:
20220203_155509.jpg

I'll have to find some pictures of the 10gallon intermediate stage, that's where I really learned the most.

Now:
IM NuvoFusion 20gal AIO
2 AI Prime 16HD's
Protein Skimmer
2 Nero 3's (45% max)
ATO
Apex, with Trident, DOS, DDR, AFS.
2 clarkii clowns,
3 Pajama Cardinals,
1 Yellow Clown Goby,
assorted CUC (snails, crabs, and bristle worms),
and a handful of frags and zoa colonies.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is just the way it is supposed to be when you start out small and gradually upgrade to a set up

hope things continue go well for you and happy to see how the tank matures.

really happy for you

100.gif

OP
OP
Jwink

Jwink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a couple of pictures of the 10 gallon kit tank between start and now.
20200922_183217.jpg

Ran it with a Fluval 107 canister filter with a hang on back overflow and it had a glass lid. Added an auto top off yet, didn't really need it at the time.
20201007_174023.jpg

Hadn't started turning purple and I wasn't dosing anything just regular water changes. Frags were doing OK but not thriving at this point, maybe because I wasn't testing all that I should have been. Had a little Hygger power head added too.

OP
OP
Jwink

Jwink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having a ton of coralline algae and having problems with maintaining my alk with the black sand turning purple I have taken and slowly (1/3 a week) removed it and then replaced it with Fiji Pink. The tank glows now. Also the GSP started to receed so I removed it and left just a few small spots, hopefully they come back better. I've also added the 3d printed AI Prime HD with diffuser. Got my first Duncan, Acan, and Fava as well. Not sure what the 3rd is, was sold as an Acan but it doesn't look like the other. Do you guys glue them to rocks or just leave them on the sandbed to turn into a mound?
20220412_184408.jpg

Also my clowns have decided they like my goni for their new house....is there anything I can do to keep them from killing it?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back