My First Saltwater Adventure - 120 Gallon Peninsula

Rcfiftyone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank Dave! Dont know how I didnt find this build thread sooner! My upcoming build will definitely be a Peninsula as well. What is that beautiful dark blue/purple acro in the middle of your rockwork? But more importantly.... do you need to make a little room in your tank? ;) lol

I completely forgot that I got one of those "rogue anemones " from you. Thankfully it has been very well behaved in my tank. Very big and beautiful too.
Keep up the great work!

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Martin for the kind words. It was good to see you yesterday. Happy to help with your new design, if you'd like, when you're ready. I will let you know when I do some trimming and take care of you! :cool:

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like this setup. I'm glad I found this tank. I'm setting up a 5'x2'x2' peninsula for my "dream tank" now that we are in a permanent house. I think I am going to be modeling a lot of your features.

Aside from the splitting, no other problems with the RBTA? I have been reluctant to have them in my smaller SPS tanks due to stinging, but I would really like to allocate a good chunk of space for an anemone in this tank (if it would stay where I put it..ha).

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how is the new sum and ATO? Are they working well for you? Thank you for keeping us update.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like this setup. I'm glad I found this tank. I'm setting up a 5'x2'x2' peninsula for my "dream tank" now that we are in a permanent house. I think I am going to be modeling a lot of your features.

Aside from the splitting, no other problems with the RBTA? I have been reluctant to have them in my smaller SPS tanks due to stinging, but I would really like to allocate a good chunk of space for an anemone in this tank (if it would stay where I put it..ha).

Thanks @Husker for the nice comments. Best of luck with your new build. Happy to help in anyway I can. As to the nem(s), I started with one because I was hoping my clowns would allow it to host. The problem I ran in to was merely the splitting. I almost hate to type this, but the remaining one I left for the clowns has been a model citizen. Albeit the thing is huge, it hasn't moved nor has it split. Unfortunately they will end up where they are happy, which may or may not be where you are happy to have them. It really does seem to be a hit or miss.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how is the new sum and ATO? Are they working well for you? Thank you for keeping us update.

Well @s2nhle, the plans I had made for my son-in-law and myself that weekend were in direct conflict with the plans my bride had made that weekend! So the new sump project is still sitting in the on-deck circle. I was hoping no one had noticed...lol. Someday I will get it installed and then due a proper update to this stale thread.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great build! Excellent job.

Thank you for the kind words.

Since I'm here, I will provide a little update: I still have yet to get the new sump installed...life keeps getting in the way. Speaking of getting in the way, I my return pump decided to die on me Sunday night. Went to the fish cabinet and grabbed the back-up pump, installed it, and it didn't want to work either. Sunday night, 11:00 pm, not many options. Turned off all non-essential components, pointed the Gyre's to the surface and went to bed. I was able to find a new pump locally Monday and got it going again last night. Everything came through swimmingly well (pun intended). Feeling pretty lucky actually.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the kind words.

Since I'm here, I will provide a little update: I still have yet to get the new sump installed...life keeps getting in the way. Speaking of getting in the way, I my return pump decided to die on me Sunday night. Went to the fish cabinet and grabbed the back-up pump, installed it, and it didn't want to work either. Sunday night, 11:00 pm, not many options. Turned off all non-essential components, pointed the Gyre's to the surface and went to bed. I was able to find a new pump locally Monday and got it going again last night. Everything came through swimmingly well (pun intended). Feeling pretty lucky actually.
They always say these moving parts will fail at some point. The pump is one thing I have a replacement for. I'm glad you were able to avoid disaster.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...The pump is one thing I have a replacement for. I'm glad you were able to avoid disaster.

That's the kicker...I had a spare/backup pump. For whatever reason, it too didn't want to work...lol. It all worked out in the end, thankfully!

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, Thank God everything is ok. I have to several backup pumps stored in basement. Let test them tonight make sure they are still working.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the lights are about out, I haven't taken any pictures in a while, so I decided to grab a few. Taken with the phone so not that great, but at least it's something...

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update...I finally took the time to change out the sump this weekend. Overall, went pretty smoothly. Got the old one out and new one plumbed up on Saturday. Decided to let everything cure overnight. I finished everything else today and threw some water at it later this afternoon. Knock on wood, no leaks thus far. Only thing left is the cable management. Here's a couple cell phone shots.

A blank slate:

First Dry Fit:

Final Product:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back