myteebird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

Happy to be here!

I wrote a little intro post yesterday when I joined, but long story short I have a ton of freshwater tanks that I love, but I'm ready to branch out into the world of saltwater and reefing! I have definitely learned a lot along the way and am ready to move onto more challenging setups! I used to think having a planted tank that self sustained was difficult and now I cringe every time I see an unplanted tank (no judgement if you have an unplanted tank...they are still beautiful)

I am very very new to saltwater tanks, but I have a lot of ideas, haha. In a week I'll be moving into a house so I'll be able to get larger tanks as I'll have more room. I do really enjoy large tanks, but I also think I might want smaller tanks to accommodate solitary species (giving them adequate room of course).

My tentative tank plans are a 125G as a more "traditional" tank with Nemo and Dory haha (not sure if those species are compatible...I am very new to this), I really like the look of 84G tall tanks (I was thinking of doing an "anime girl" themed tank with pink and purple fish...not sure if that tank size would be appropriate or what species I could put in there), and a 75G tank tbd on what species I want as I still need to do a ton of research...I am open to suggestions! I also really want a Red Angler...my local store has one and he's so cute and I want him soooo bad. From what I've read, they need to be kept in solitude or with very large tank mates so I would keep him solitary (not sure the proper tank size as I've found conflicting websites).

I've been watching BRS 52 Weeks of Reefing and I'm finding it super interesting, I'm looking forward to getting my tanks started...definitely a little scared as well because from what I've seen, reef tanks are somewhat harder to maintain in terms of parameters and whatnot...also reef fish are a lot more expensive in general haha!

Also, is there a way to determine if a piece of furniture will hold the weight of a tank? Probably a silly question, but I have a large cabinet that I am currently using as a TV stand that will no longer be needed when I move into my house and it is big enough to hold at least a 125G size wise easily, but I'm not sure about the weight because water is heavy haha it is a very high quality built piece (solid wood, good craftsmanship...it's a piece I inherited from my grandparents). I think it will hold, but I didn't know if there was a calculation or way to figure that out!

Are there any tank brand preferences for reef tanks? My local store carries a ton of brands and is always willing to special order tanks, but they vary in price so much so I was wondering if there is a preference for tank brands?

Sorry this is so long, I will continue to update once I get settled into my house and do a lot more research!

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to our little piece of the reef.
For tank brands, I personally like Innovative Marine and water box.
As for your stand, I suggest you look up the manufacturer and see if you can find specs online.
Saltwater is a great addiction and there are alot of folks here that will be more then willing to help. Start a build thread when you get your tank so we can all watch your tank grow.

Welcome!!!
f127426c616cd57d67c79dfda815c596.gif

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back