"My First Salty" Sump Upgrade!

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its come time to ditch ye ole canister filter with its closed loop pressurized system limiting me creative freedoms and total potential to stuff things up lol! Welcome to the sump upgrade to "My First Salty" this is a tank i started 6-8 months ago and it is my first salt tank, there is a link to that build in my signature below if you wanna check it out......id check it out if I were you. Anyways I have now decided that it is time to join the dark side and upgrade my Fluval G3 (Breaking news!!!!........ Fluval G3 for sale!!!) to a sump, specifically a Trigger Systems Sapphire 26. I have posted a few threads gathering info for this before and had originally stated I needed to do heavy DIY to keep cost down buttttt lets say taxes came back in my favor this year. The next thing is that I need to figure out how to get water down to that snazzy new sump, this is an issue and my tank a ole fashion glass 20g with no overflow to speak of, but wait cant I drill it?! ermm well no.....I live in an apartment for one with no place to do the drilling and two I have my one tank and I cannot exactly drill it with livestock in it. One option is to get another 20g as they are cheap, drill it and then transfer everything and the other is a HOB overflow from CPR Aquatics on my current tank and I haven't really decided what to do with that yet. Moving on from there I plan to run a skimmer either a used one or ill spring for a Skimz mini monster sn123 dc and a refugium. Ill aslo be adding a Tunze auto top off as currently I just top off by hand every day. Stay tuned for plenty of pictures and feel free to provide feedback and suggestions!

Picture of my dirty tank currently to give ya something to look at.

20170207_195818.jpg

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First update! I just bought a used 4 month old Cad Lights PLS-100 skimmer for $80. Total overkill but it was a great deal.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any ideas on a good cheap fuge light that can grow macro algae.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I last updated, I bought a Jeabo DC return Pump and a HOB overflow, slowly getting all the stuff. Sadly I went HOB as currently its just easy and my current situation makes drilling ans swapping tanks difficult and i got a cheap used box. I will drill eventually but for now it is what it is, more to come soon!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well finally ordered my stuff tonight, final equipment list....

Eshops R-100 sump
Skims monster mini sn123 skimmer
And a tunze ato
All the fittings and tubing ect

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well finally ordered my stuff tonight, final equipment list....

Eshops R-100 sump
Skims monster mini sn123 skimmer
And a tunze ato
All the fittings and tubing ect
Cant wait to hear the review on the skimmer.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skims sn123 skimmer pulling some decent junk out after 1 day. Im a super noob at adjusting this thing tho! Once i learn how to use it better and get some time in on it look for a full review.
c178b8c8bf0741fda761c915f5b24835.jpg

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is settling down some and the skimmer is breaking in and im learning how to tune it. My large black torch decided to desiderate for no reason that i can find tho. Everything else is open, colored up and growing so beats me.
ff7444d97211d7b8bc2f43009a6c67f0.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back