My first scoly!

100% agree. Put him on a rock close to bottom.
Perhaps I’ll get a clam cradle for him or some rubble rock since I don’t have a good rock near the bottom where I could see him and he’d be in a flat position.
 
Sandbed is fine! This is mine in the same spot several years ago.
033BF6D3-0C1A-4F93-B21A-F955488CD5A8.jpeg


https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/gorgeous-scolymia-perfect-coral-to-liven-up-your-sand-bed.668947/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/basic-scolymia-care.849995/

From fragbox:

Scolymia are easy corals to keep and are best kept on the sandbed. It is important to ensure however that they don’t get covered with sand.

https://fragbox.ca/coral-care/scolymia-coral-care/
 
Perhaps I’ll get a clam cradle for him or some rubble rock since I don’t have a good rock near the bottom where I could see him and he’d be in a flat position.

Mine have always lived on the sand - it doesn't bother them.
The big one now has 3 mouths and I had it for 3 years.




IMG_5196.jpeg
 
Nice looking scoly!
 
Scolies are quite versatile and can thrive on rocks or on sand. The important thing is detritus management, they do not slough off detritus well like other large lps. If you don’t pay attention and let detritus or any debris accumulate on them it can lead to issues.

That’s why people recommend not to place on the sandbed, not that it is inherently bad, but because there is a higher probability that sand/detritus can accumulate on the coral.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new