Basic Scolymia Care

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share some of our thoughts on Scolymia and how to take care of them. Please share any cool stories you have, insights, or critiques of what we have to say. Thanks in advance, happy Reefing!!!!

Master Scolymia.JPG

Scolymia are currently and have always been one of the most popular corals in the hobby. Scolymia can be found in many regions of the world but the most coveted are the Australian Scolymia due to their brilliant, piercing colors and hardiness in the aquarium. Recently, Scolymia have become increasingly difficult to find due to the threats of an Australian coral ban. All Scolymia that we carry have been fully conditioned to captivity for a few months before being released on our website. The picture is an image of the exact coral you will be receiving. The pictures are as the coral looks under our lighting and water parameters and we cannot guarantee that it will look exactly the same in your aquarium. Scolymia are a great coral for experienced hobbyists and avid collectors. We only recommend adding them to an aquarium that is at least 1 year old.

Care:
Flow: For full extension, it is recommended that Scolymia be kept in an area of the aquarium that experiences pretty low flow. Typically scolymia are placed on the bottom of the tank either in the sand bed or epoxied to the bottom of a bare bottom tank.

Lighting: Scolymia do NOT need a lot of light. Too much light can cause quite a bit of damage to them. They thrive under both T5 lighting and LED. When purchasing from us, there is a high probability that your specimen is coming from a system that is lit using a combo of T5 and Kessil A360X LEDs.

Water Chemistry: There are so many opinions on water chemistry, so we’ll just share some general safe ranges for corals. One tip we have is to find out what chemistry levels your preferred salt mixes to and then stick to those ranges. For us, we prefer the Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt. We try to keep the systems as close to the natural levels of that salt as possible so that water changes do not significantly impact the system chemistry.

Parameter Safe Ranges
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0-20 ppm
PH 8.0-8.3
Calcium 400 - 480 ppm
Alkalinity 7-12 dkh
Magnesium 1250 - 1400 ppm
Phosphate .03 - .05 ppm

Tips:
• Feed your Scolymia Mysis, reef roids, rotifers etc. at least once a week.
• Watch for Tissue Recession and dip in an iodine solution if you notice it. Don’t dip too often.
• Avoid touching the mouth of the coral.
• It is normal for them to puff in and out throughout the day depending on the other inhabitans of the tank. If it seems to be closed all the time, it may be best to move the Scoly to another area of the aquarium or possibly to another tank if possible.
• Try to put scolymia only next to other scolymia, and scolymia of the same geographical area at that. That is the safest way to ensure your specimen stays healthy. Bleeding Apple Scolymia 2.JPG Bleeding Apple Scolymia 3.JPG

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bought mine with skeleton showing through, and healed it, kept it alive for 20 years and it unattached from its skeleton 80% when water conditions went south for a while. I nursed it back from that and now its larger and doing great. Very tough coral

OP
OP
thereefhotspot

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bought mine with skeleton showing through, and healed it, kept it alive for 20 years and it unattached from its skeleton 80% when water conditions went south for a while. I nursed it back from that and now its larger and doing great. Very tough coral
That is fantastic! Do you have any pictures? I'd love to see it!

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank gets hot in summer and cold in winter, so they are hardy to temp changes. I never feed mine

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up. What do you think is causing my Sour Apple to bleach in the 2 areas. Also the mouth is losing color.
I did dip it in Dr Rx and move it in the door of a cave with less flow and have turned the white light down some. Any ideas?

IMG_1174_LI (2).jpg

Everything else it the tank is doing good. This is a FTS before I pushed it back towards the cave it is sitting in front of.
Lights are now 100/20 blue/white

IMG_0350 (2).JPG

PowerLineman01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info I know it’s not a photo thread but here is mine

Attachments

• C31DA65D-8F6A-47C6-B9B0-7080875DA166.jpeg
    C31DA65D-8F6A-47C6-B9B0-7080875DA166.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 1E718B0B-C80F-4C8C-A7C4-64D9DFA5ADEE.jpeg
    1E718B0B-C80F-4C8C-A7C4-64D9DFA5ADEE.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 1441FF84-C168-4CBA-8C9D-F0F20EF2A286.jpeg
    1441FF84-C168-4CBA-8C9D-F0F20EF2A286.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 95

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a better pic. I wonder why it is bleaching in those 2 areas? I opens at night. Been feeding the tank AB+ and Reef Roids a few times a week. My Warpaint scoly is doing well. Anu ideas?

20210813_184735.jpg

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have a preference for temperature?
I have always struggled with them. I have this funny feeling its the temperature. My tank is kept at 82° f pretty much all year round. I live in Florida and even with a chiller I cannot keep it much lower than that. It's a mature tank and everything else is On Target so I can't think what else it might be.

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back