My First Tank Build!

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, So I just started my 45g first tank in late October and so far everything has been working fairly well.
As for tank brand, I have no clue, my IT teacher actually gave it to me but it is a 45 gallon bow front tank. My ultimate goal is to have a nice looking wall for my aquascape (I went too scarce on rock and planning on adding more soon). As for livestock I currently have 2 ocellaris clownfish and a starry blenny. Some things have already changed on it like the heater, once had a hygger 802 and changed it out for a Fluval 200 watt after it went out in about 3 weeks. As for lights and filter im running a Fluval 207 Canister and a Current USA Light. Here are some pictures of the progress so far, any tips would be awesome!

aquarium1.jpg aquarium2.jpg blenny1.jpg clowns1.jpg

*Edit
For my birth day decided to add some more and a Six-Lined Wrasse! updatedTank.jpg

Last edited:

kylan_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally im only keeping a clowfish right now and mostly corals fish really arent my thing but im pretty sure just a cheap small tank with heater would work ive heard of people treating copper for disease but copper kills invertebrates thats why it has to be done in qt if you plan on getting corals and that

OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, So I just started my 45g first tank in late October and so far everything has been working fairly well.
As for tank brand, I have no clue, my IT teacher actually gave it to me but it is a 45 gallon bow front tank. My ultimate goal is to have a nice looking wall for my aquascape (I went too scarce on rock and planning on adding more soon). As for livestock I currently have 2 ocellaris clownfish and a starry blenny. Some things have already changed on it like the heater, once had a hygger 802 and changed it out for a Fluval 200 watt after it went out in about 3 weeks. As for lights and filter im running a Fluval 207 Canister and a Current USA Light. Here are some pictures of the progress so far, any tips would be awesome!

aquarium1.jpg aquarium2.jpg blenny1.jpg clowns1.jpg

*Edit
For my birth day decided to add some more and a Six-Lined Wrasse! updatedTank.jpg
Little update. Added a Flame Hawkfish and ges the funniest guy in there so far.

Attachments

• 20230101_120544.jpg
    20230101_120544.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 25
  • 20221228_111953.jpg
    20221228_111953.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 24

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For QT, I use a 10 gallon tank, heater, Tidal Filter, airstone (need to run with copper/meds), a couple of small PVC pipes for fish to hide in and a couple of plastic plants. I use a glass cover to prevent jumping. I have lost so many new fish to diseases I think it is only common sense to QT.

OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For QT, I use a 10 gallon tank, heater, Tidal Filter, airstone (need to run with copper/meds), a couple of small PVC pipes for fish to hide in and a couple of plastic plants. I use a glass cover to prevent jumping. I have lost so many new fish to diseases I think it is only common sense to QT.
Since I dont have a 2nd tank, nor do I really have room for a 2nd tank. What else could i use for a quarantine tank?

OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A plastic tub. But if you have room for that, you would have room for a 10 gallon tank. Have you seen how small one is?
Just saw how small they are, and yeah I'm sure I can find a spot for it. My thing is my mom has her tank in the same room as I, but like I said I'm sure I can find a spot somewhere in the house lol

OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.... another update, been cycled since late october early november of last year and I'm finally seeing some coralline growth on some of the older rocks that I originally cycled with. I have read that it is a sign that the tank is starting to mature. What's your guys opinions on that, would you say my tank is starting to get matured enough to add corals in the next month or so?

Last edited:

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.... another update, been cycled since late october early november of last year and I'm finally seeing some coralline growth on some of the older rocks that I originally cycled with. I have read that it is a sign that the tank is starting to mature. What's your guys opinions on that, would you say my tank is starting to get matured enough to add corals in the next month or so?

Yup some easy soft corals would be fine!

OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not be seeing a diatom bloom if the tank cycled back in October or November. Do you use RODI water?
I do, i believe the water contained some varying level of silicate. I usually get my rodi from a lfs. Though tbh, at this point I don't really know. They say its just a film algae.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Time! So I just added my first coral to the tank, also bought a NooPsyche K7 PRO III light to go with it, and will hopefully arrive sometime next week! Sorry for a terrible picture lol

20230211_220512.jpg 20230211_220445.jpg

OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought another frag yesterday, forgot what the LFS said it was, but it looks pretty cool. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20230219_093802.jpg
    20230219_093802.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230219_093741.jpg
    20230219_093741.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 15

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back