My First Tank - IM Nuvo 40

Mtterry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading up quite a bit and decided to pull the trigger and start this hobby.

I purchased an IM Nuvo 40 with the Stand.

I have a few friends locally that I ping questions off of while I read up on all the different ways to do things.

Specs so far:

Stand: IM NUVO APS
Tank: IM Nuvo 40 mini
Return Pump: Stock ( But it just died tonight after 1 week, so waiting on RMA but plan to purchase a new one) taking suggestions. I have heard the sicce syncra silent 2.0 is a good choice.

Wave Pumps:
(2) Hydor Koralia 1150's w/ a Hydor Koralia WaveMaker Controller.
I put in about 10 lbs of Live Rock.
I added about 15 lbs of Dry Rock.
I put in 20 lbs of "Live" Sand.

Light: AI Hydra 26 HD LED ( I plan to look into coral's and many folks said the AI prime HD had some significant Shading)

Future Plans:
I plan to look at an ATO, was looking at the AWC AUTO WATER CHANGER (PLUS ATO). I plan on upgrading tanks in the future as this tank is really a Starter, I didn't want to go overboard on cost until i felt more comfortable. I would plan to build a whole wall w/ builtin cabinets and pipe plumbing through my laundry room deep sink, etc. So that's why i was thinking this ATO would be pretty good if/when i go larger.

Protein Skimmer: taking suggestions on what other NUVO 40 owner's would suggest.

The first week i have monitored the levels every day with no major changes, the ammonia reached a peek of .5, while nitrate/nitrite remained at 0. The LFS suggested using "Seed" bacteria to help cycle the tank. I would have expected to see more up's and downs.

I have also read that many folks like the Instant Ocean - Bio Spira to help cycle. Any opinions on that?

Any advice/Suggestions as I start down this expensive hobby please feel free to provide any "constructive" feedback!!

I have attached a few pics, be nice on my "aquascaping"

Thanks
Mitch

2018-06-18 07.52.48.jpg

2018-06-22 22.24.21.jpg

2018-06-22 22.25.27.jpg

2018-06-22 22.25.17.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mtterry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Far So good.. Levels all seem stable, added some Coral and Some Cleaner Snails..

20180627_195424.jpg

Lunar Mike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the dimensions/space you have but I was going to put this in my Nuvo 60 might fit yours also. I don't know much about skimmers.

Curious to know what skimmer others use in their Nuvos. Have read a lot of negative reviews about the ghost skimmer and a $300 skimmer for my tank is too much IMHO, unless I was trying to keep it hidden. Your tank requires the next step down ghost skimmer.

Screenshot_20180629-135321.png

OP
OP
M

Mtterry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer will definitely be on the list soon. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an ATO system.

I grabbed the AutoAqua AWC Plus ATO. -> https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auto-water-changer-autoaqua.html
So far I like it. I do not have the AWC stuff setup as of now, but if i upgrade in the future and have more cabinet space i'll look into setting that up.

I was looking at ATO reservoirs but they are so gosh darn expensive. I went ahead and did some mods to my Water Carriers I already had.

Walmart sells them for like 14 bucks --> Jumb0-tainer by reliance, 7 gallons. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Jumbo-Tainer-7-gallon/21903055
It fits well under my tank. I'm a little bit critical of the appearance so i bought some additional Hose and some Nylon Adapters to make it look Clean. Pics below:
if anyone does set their rigs up like mine the nylon fittings i used from west marine are here:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seaf...hose-adapters--P011_332_002_013?pCode=1854405 -> 3/4 inch to 1/2 inch
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seafit--nylon-barbed-hose-reducers--P01856459?pCode=1856475 .> 1/2 to 1/4 inch (The tubing that came w/ the AWC/ATO)

I also added some additional Coral to my Frogspawn and added a Diamond Goby to help keep the sand clean. He had me pretty scared when he attempted to jump out (darted to the top) on the first day then I didn't see him. I knew they hid in the sand, but that didn't stop my from fearing the wife saying, "way to kill a fish and waste money" haha.

Definitely fun so far -- I really enjoyed modding the tank to make it functional and clean.

20180705_202431.jpg

20180705_202429.jpg

20180705_212113.jpg

20180705_212149.jpg

20180705_212050.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mtterry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the dimensions/space you have but I was going to put this in my Nuvo 60 might fit yours also. I don't know much about skimmers.

Curious to know what skimmer others use in their Nuvos. Have read a lot of negative reviews about the ghost skimmer and a $300 skimmer for my tank is too much IMHO, unless I was trying to keep it hidden. Your tank requires the next step down ghost skimmer.

I ended up grabbing the Tunze 9004 DC. So far it seems to be breaking in fine, "wet" skimmate from what i have seen, i assume it will take me some time to understand and tune it.

OP
OP
M

Mtterry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Added/Named Livestock:
(wife started her involvement with naming the fish)

Cleaner Shrimp -> Rose'
Purple Reef Lobster -> Merlot aka Mer.
Flame Angel -> Sangria
Diamond Goby -> Was already there, but Champagne'
Percula x 2 -> they got to keep the names fishy 1 and fish for our daughter :)

Switched out my Hydra Wave Pumps and controller for an Ecotech MP10. Seems to move the water column much better without crushing my corals. It's setup in the Top Rear of the Tank --> Any other suggestions for placement?

upload_2018-7-23_20-54-57.png

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have the Tunze 9004 in my IM40. My only issue is that it doesn't fit in the 2nd chamber, you have to put it in one of the ones with a filter sock.

OP
OP
M

Mtterry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Tunze 9004 in my IM40. My only issue is that it doesn't fit in the 2nd chamber, you have to put it in one of the ones with a filter sock.
I agree. are you running the DC pump or standard with air valve control. How deep is yours set? @Tuffyyyyy . If i turn mine on more than 25% i start to get overflow bubbles in the cup.

OP
OP
M

Mtterry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have added some additional stuff! Added more sand. The sand I bought initially was the "live" sand and was a little difficult to get in the tank. Went to home Depot and got some 3inch and cut a funnel. Cloudy for a few hours but good to go now.
20180727_224154.jpeg
20180727_224237.jpeg
20180727_224308.jpeg

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. are you running the DC pump or standard with air valve control. How deep is yours set? @Tuffyyyyy . If i turn mine on more than 25% i start to get overflow bubbles in the cup.
I have mine set so that the collection cup is the only thing sticking out of the water. Outside of that I have no clue what my settings are lol. I just kind of tweaked it until it started collecting gross stuff.

What's the new orange coral you've added? Really nice!

OP
OP
M

Mtterry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine set so that the collection cup is the only thing sticking out of the water. Outside of that I have no clue what my settings are lol. I just kind of tweaked it until it started collecting gross stuff.

What's the new orange coral you've added? Really nice!
I think it's an orange ricordea. Can you snap a pic of your cup/water height. I seem to get crud, but full of water.

baslewprime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading up quite a bit and decided to pull the trigger and start this hobby.

I purchased an IM Nuvo 40 with the Stand.

I have a few friends locally that I ping questions off of while I read up on all the different ways to do things.

Specs so far:

Stand: IM NUVO APS
Tank: IM Nuvo 40 mini
Return Pump: Stock ( But it just died tonight after 1 week, so waiting on RMA but plan to purchase a new one) taking suggestions. I have heard the sicce syncra silent 2.0 is a good choice.

Wave Pumps:
(2) Hydor Koralia 1150's w/ a Hydor Koralia WaveMaker Controller.
I put in about 10 lbs of Live Rock.
I added about 15 lbs of Dry Rock.
I put in 20 lbs of "Live" Sand.

Light: AI Hydra 26 HD LED ( I plan to look into coral's and many folks said the AI prime HD had some significant Shading)

Future Plans:
I plan to look at an ATO, was looking at the AWC AUTO WATER CHANGER (PLUS ATO). I plan on upgrading tanks in the future as this tank is really a Starter, I didn't want to go overboard on cost until i felt more comfortable. I would plan to build a whole wall w/ builtin cabinets and pipe plumbing through my laundry room deep sink, etc. So that's why i was thinking this ATO would be pretty good if/when i go larger.

Protein Skimmer: taking suggestions on what other NUVO 40 owner's would suggest.

The first week i have monitored the levels every day with no major changes, the ammonia reached a peek of .5, while nitrate/nitrite remained at 0. The LFS suggested using "Seed" bacteria to help cycle the tank. I would have expected to see more up's and downs.

I have also read that many folks like the Instant Ocean - Bio Spira to help cycle. Any opinions on that?

Any advice/Suggestions as I start down this expensive hobby please feel free to provide any "constructive" feedback!!

I have attached a few pics, be nice on my "aquascaping"

Thanks
Mitch

2018-06-18 07.52.48.jpg

2018-06-22 22.24.21.jpg

2018-06-22 22.25.27.jpg

2018-06-22 22.25.17.jpg

nice tank :) your setup it loud? or pretty quiet?

OP
OP
M

Mtterry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice tank :) your setup it loud? or pretty quiet?
So I have made some changes and additions to the setup.

Removed the hydor koralia circulators and wave maker.

Added
Ecotech MP10 qwd
Tunze 9004 DC skimmer
IM spin stream return nozzles.

But, to answer your question it's relatively quiet. The skimmer and the spin stream did add some additional sound...compared to the previous layout.

OP
OP
M

Mtterry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.

I raised the level of the water by adding some clear acrylic to the overflows. I like the look of less empty space at the top.

As far as current livestock

1 Diamond goby
1 Coral Beauty
2 Percula Clowns
1 Long Tentacle Anemone ( hosted by on of the clowns)
1 orchid dotty back
1 cleaner shrimp
1 purple reef lobster

Torch coral, octo frogspawn, hammer coral, 2* acan, zoas, Duncan, etc.

20180908_153853.jpeg
20180908_153910.jpeg
1536435691785.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back