My first tank is not going well!

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I saw this beauty this morning for the first time when I turned the lights on appears to be about 2 feet long (bristle worm) I was in too much shock and awe to do anything but take a some pictures.

I have a 32 gal biocube I think that worm is WAY too big for the tank. I have never killed anything that wasn't a spider or a fly in my life but those are just SPLAT done. I think it must be starving why it was out and about like this I don't mind letting nature take it's course I've seen some smaller bristle worms they don't bother me but this is a monster!

First thing that concerns me is if/when it dies are the other bristle worms just going to BOOM in population because that's a LOT of food. Second thing is if I let it go out naturally is there a chance of the tank crashing? I have had this up and running since May 5th 2021 now I know I need to clean more etc etc.

I have been feeding One cube nightly of Hik Ari Bio-Pure Mysis Shrimp package says 32 cubes 3.5 oz (100g) what the LFS told me to use is that too much food? The current tank stock that I spot feed the 1 cube with a baster are 2 clown fish 1 red scooter blenny 2 emerald crab 2 peppermint shrimp and a yellow coral banded shrimp. Pretty much got everything at once about 6 months and nothing has died. The clean up crew is 7 snails and 6 hermit crabs all different types.

So first off if it is advised to remove it next time I see it? Do I fish net it? Put on gloves and grab it? Using the tongs to just snatch it?

OP
OP
P

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20211129_105527.jpg
IMG_20211129_104712.jpg

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
either feed less, or get a worm trap and manually remove them. bristle worms are a good part of CUC, but to many are an eye-sore.

OP
OP
P

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thing is like 2 feet long I don't mind it today is cleaning day I'm not afraid to put my hand in the tank or anything I'm just worried something that big what will happen when it dies. I never see small ones the yellow coral banded shrimp is in heaven doesn't do anything but sleep and hunt the little ones.

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That thing is like 2 feet long I don't mind it today is cleaning day I'm not afraid to put my hand in the tank or anything I'm just worried something that big what will happen when it dies. I never see small ones the yellow coral banded shrimp is in heaven doesn't do anything but sleep and hunt the little ones.
i would get some thick gloves, tongs, and some patience to get it out.

OP
OP
P

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure that's what I was kind of getting at in the original post now I've never killed a live animal before do I just once I get it toss it in a trash bag and put it in the garbage or should I flush it down to toilet what would be the most "humane" way to go about it? This will be my first removal of anything from the tank. What a journey this year has been lol!

By the way thank you for the help/advice!

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sure that's what I was kind of getting at in the original post now I've never killed a live animal before do I just once I get it toss it in a trash bag and put it in the garbage or should I flush it down to toilet what would be the most "humane" way to go about it? This will be my first removal of anything from the tank. What a journey this year has been lol!

By the way thank you for the help/advice!
trash will suffice. if it dies of starvation, it will get eaten by the other bristle worms in the tank anyways.

OP
OP
P

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's a yellow one I seen the normal CBS at the store man they look ready to go AFTER stuff this one is very timid he uses his long arms to to get away as he backs away even the peppermint shrimp he seems afraid of but it's really small. I never see small bristle worms only a couple medium sized ones and that MONSTER!

Yeah the live rock sat until I felt comfortable for about 3 weeks before I added all of them so like may 5th until almost June then I added everything.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a monster bristle worm in my softie tank , he was at least 5 feet long, keep feeding it
they really dont hurt live things too much.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 52.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back