MY FIRST TANK!

afamuz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, very new to this hobby. Got my very first fish tank and decided to go into the deep rabbit hole of reefing.

My build currently:

WATERBOX 10 Gallons
EHEIM 75 Watt Heater
Stock return pump ( yes i put up with the noise )
AI Prime 16HD
Jecod SW-2 wave-maker
H2Ocean ATO ( not set up yet )
Dry rock from LFS
Small live rock from LFS
Carib-sea Live Fiji Pink ( i regret this decision )

Filtration:

TUNZE 9001 comline skimmer
Stock filter sock
Filter floss
Bio balls

Livestock:

Pair of clownfish
2 red legged hermit crabs
2 snails ( one died yesterday )
2 tiny purply snails ( just jumped on the back of the hermits and came in )
1 zoanthid

Feeding:
Once a day pellets/ dried bloodworms for clownfish
3 times a week AB+ coral nutrition

If you guys have any thoughts on how i can improve my build, what types of corals i could be placing on my rock etc. any general tips very much appreciated. This is my first post !
6E334EA1-9F63-4476-854E-138B009D69C3.jpeg
E23541E2-B07A-4C05-8089-82175DC6224F.jpeg
B99AF473-E810-49AB-97F2-22DB605E7F6B.jpeg
CA543112-FB1A-4EF1-BAA0-167A7848CC7F.jpeg
EA938FC3-6E67-4B4D-A9BA-C0CE1EB8CAE4.jpeg
EFA8925D-0520-4286-B043-7572EF8C6C92.jpeg
A570A94B-DCE2-4F81-8F99-AE462637116C.jpeg
23A63D6D-3E1B-4661-9404-64C85295FD5A.jpeg
EC9353CF-7B25-4348-9DB5-FD08213040D5.jpeg
B0970E71-8007-434B-A962-C89FC6C80C59.jpeg

B50BEF39-A6D7-4BDC-8533-FA06B32F1A02.png

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    10.1 MB

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good so far. I’d wait on the AB+ until your system matures. That stuff can fuel the growth of bad stuff in the beginning like cyano and dinos.
Just make sure to take it slow and do as much reading as you can. Lots of great info on R2R. Take a look at other build threads too….see what has worked and not worked for other folks. Happy Reefing!!!

OP
OP
afamuz

afamuz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good so far. I’d wait on the AB+ until your system matures. That stuff can fuel the growth of bad stuff in the beginning like cyano and dinos.
Just make sure to take it slow and do as much reading as you can. Lots of great info on R2R. Take a look at other build threads too….see what has worked and not worked for other folks. Happy Reefing!!!
Thanks for the tip! I will definitely feed way less from now. I’ve only had the tank for a 3 weeks so a long time till it matures haha

OP
OP
afamuz

afamuz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

El Reeflero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! Questions for you and the AI folks (I'm a Kessil dude): Is the fixture usually that high off the water surface? How high (inches) is yours from the surface? Do you get light bleed out into the room?

OP
OP
afamuz

afamuz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and welcome :)
May I ask why you regret the Fiji pink live sand?
Thanks ! Number of reasons : there is no actual visible ‘pink’ , the stuff goes absolutely everywhere (my rocks my corals) even with the lowest setting on my wavemaker. Limits how and where i can get flow. If i did a tank again I’d try and go sandless for the minimalistic look and wouldn’t have to worry about it turning brown etc

OP
OP
afamuz

afamuz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! Questions for you and the AI folks (I'm a Kessil dude): Is the fixture usually that high off the water surface? How high (inches) is yours from the surface? Do you get light bleed out into the room?
Thanks bro ! My light is about 9/10 inches above the water surface. I think i’ve just gone for a higher position because I love the light bleed into the room Also only thinking of keeping softies and lps.
E17FE341-9E9B-47EE-82CD-AA43FAB9568D.jpeg

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found that the WB10 overflow weir will activate your ATO when a snail crawls across it. You can fix this issue by purchasing a snail guard for it. Worth doing, doesn’t take much to drop salinity in these little systems.

Wasn’t a fan of the filter sock, you can make a plate out of egg crate or some other plastic grid material, seat it on the sock holder slots and just place a square of floss on it. Much easier to monitor and replace.

Probably no need to keep the bio balls, I don’t think it would be adding much unless it was pre seeded from an established tank.

Otherwise, they’re a great little tank. Have fun with it.

OP
OP
afamuz

afamuz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found that the WB10 overflow weir will activate your ATO when a snail crawls across it. You can fix this issue by purchasing a snail guard for it. Worth doing, doesn’t take much to drop salinity in these little systems.

Wasn’t a fan of the filter sock, you can make a plate out of egg crate or some other plastic grid material, seat it on the sock holder slots and just place a square of floss on it. Much easier to monitor and replace.

Probably no need to keep the bio balls, I don’t think it would be adding much unless it was pre seeded from an established tank.

Otherwise, they’re a great little tank. Have fun with it.
Thanks for the recommendations! I will definitely do the floss one as the socks are quite space consuming. I was putting floss inside my filter sock but this somehow affected my skimming so stopped. Do you recommend using the stock sponges? Also will look into the snail guards since mine do love exploring every inch they can.

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any update with the tank at all? im about to start my wb10!!

was also wondering about the 9001 skimmer did it need to be modified at all or does it fit in perfect?

OP
OP
afamuz

afamuz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any update with the tank at all? im about to start my wb10!!

was also wondering about the 9001 skimmer did it need to be modified at all or does it fit in perfect?
The tanks doing amazing - the corals i bought have taken every bit of rock estate there is. But i’m thinking of selling it off now. Want to take a break before I upgrade.
The skimmer fit perfectly but takes a bit of adjusting to get it perfect, but no need to modify.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanks doing amazing - the corals i bought have taken every bit of rock estate there is. But i’m thinking of selling it off now. Want to take a break before I upgrade.
The skimmer fit perfectly but takes a bit of adjusting to get it perfect, but no need to modify.
Glad to hear the coral are doing great!

Back