My First Triton Results (now what)

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my first Triton test back yesterday, it was a 7 day turn around. Looking for some advice on the Tin elevation. I read a few articles on Rigid PVC which obviously I am using like most people.

Tank is about 18 months old, my salt is Reef Crystals (which I'm pretty sure based on my research is the source of Lithium) .

I dose one about every two weeks, 2.5ml of Kent Iodide and Coral-Vite. On BRS two part - and feed diffrent foods from ReefRoids, LRS, Cubed Frozen and Nori.

Going to start with the equipment tear down and inspection this weekend. Could Tin come from magnets?

Copper came in higher then I would expect so I am going to run some carbon to see if corals respond differently. Will carbon help with Tin as well?

Silicon was on the Greenish\Yellow side. Guessing replace my DI will help with this as now that I look at it, it's looking kinda beat. Bottom 1/4 is 100% brown and is fading away to the top. But I still get 0 TDS out of it. I'm assuming Silicon will not show up on a TDS meter.

Any help, comments or flaws pointed on my thinking here, much appreciated.

Attachments

• 4.04.18 20G Triton Result.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 218

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that carbon will help with either copper or tin. I wouldn't worry about the copper, its not that elevated. NSW is not zero, but about half of what you have, and I've had my tank at 20x what you have without apparent issue.

The tin might be a concern. It may come from the glass.

How do the corals look?

OP
OP
thejuice24

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals overall look fine, I have a couple Zoa's that have been upset lately for no apparent reason. I'm confident that its not a a parasite or anything like that. I have had a few acros go straight up green on me from being red and\or Purple. I have one acro that has been pale since day one, but its been in tank for over year and the polyps still extend but little to no growth, don't have the heart to chuck it. I've been battling a patch of hair algae the last few weeks that came out of now where, also have some diatoms going. I've just been pulling the algae out when I can hoping things will just re-balance themselves over time, but seeing the elevated silicon I'm wondering if that's wishful thinking.

OP
OP
thejuice24

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy I ordered some this morning. Will have it on Monday.

While I started going through my equipment, I started with my water change equipment and found the potential cause for the Tin and Copper. The water change heater was completely caked with brown stuff reef crystal leaves behind (what is that anyways?). So I soaked the heater and mixing pump in RO\DI and vinegar over night. I saw this gem right off bat this morning.

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back