OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i put some filter floss in the sump during water changes and for a day after to catch all the chunky stuff. we're getting there man! Learning and ajusting. This tank is going way better than my first one even with all the problems I've had and changes I've made.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a good week

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trying to start [racticing more with my DSLR
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_9883.JPG
IMG_9884.JPG
IMG_9894.JPG
IMG_9899.JPG
IMG_9900.JPG
IMG_9901.JPG
IMG_9902.JPG
IMG_9903.JPG
IMG_9904.JPG
IMG_9905.JPG
IMG_9906.JPG
IMG_9907.JPG
IMG_9925.JPG
IMG_9937.JPG
IMG_9940.JPG
IMG_9942.JPG
IMG_9945.JPG
IMG_9950.JPG
IMG_9954.JPG

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friday here, time to break out the winter coats and sweaters, it's going to go below 65.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I am seeing the results of running a high nutrient system. I got away with it for about 2 months. Now I'm having little turf algae show up everywhere. back glass, bare bottom, and on new dry rock (pieces of rubble drilled to hold frag plugs).

So, it's time for action!

Do I do a massive water change? NO3 is 40 and PO4 is .042. This would work to get my nitrates to 10 in 2x large 50% WC. Not doing it bc I am usin AF reef salt. It mixes to 7.7 dkh and my tank dkh is 10.2. Not trying to have a crazy alk swing, NEXT!

Do I hand remove algae from glass, remove new rock and spray with peroxide??? NO, that's a lot of work and I'd rather find a means of prevention first, then reaction.

Do I use NO3PO4-X? Sure let's try it. It's cheap and I've read many results with success. (ordered nopox)

Should I dose Mb7? Ok, yeah, why not? I read somewhere that some guy did it and it helped bring his nitrates down. Plus, if I'm feeding the bacteria (nopox) I might as well put more bacteria in, right? (ordered Mb7)

Should I try microscrubbing? I mean, Cruz and I are facebook friends and we chit chat about reefing and our families sometimes. I messaged Cruz back and forth, got all the supplies needed, I will start microscrubbing to pull all detritus out of the tank making my skimmer work better. Check! It's installed and ready to rock!

PROBLEM!!!!!

I should've known better to make so many changes at once. Came home to a bacterial bloom today. It's only my second day of nopox and Mb7. The problem is that I don't know which one caused it. Some of my corals weren't as extended as they usually are. I texted a reefing buddy and he recommended starting up my microscrubber. so I did. Within 30minutes I can see that it is helping clear the water and corals are extending again. WHEW!!!

Moving forward, I'm going to stop nopox and mb7 for the mean while. Let the microscrubber do its thing and then maybe re-introduce mb7 or nopox at a smaller dose and increase the dose slowly. Good times folks :confused:

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3 cents, when making a change (1) at a time, wait two weeks. Wait for the effects, then make another change
NoPox works very well, but it take two weeks to kick in. I have not used mb7 and I can not say.

Ask yourself how wins the race?

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3 cents, when making a change (1) at a time, wait two weeks. Wait for the effects, then make another change
NoPox works very well, but it take two weeks to kick in. I have not used mb7 and I can not say.

Ask yourself how wins the race?
Slow and steady. I know better...

How's the saying go?

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it again.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow and steady. I know better...

How's the saying go?

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it again.
:)
Patients is a reefer friend:D.

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome,

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through your entire thread. I must say you've had a rocky road but we've all been there! Great job! Way to hang tough and slow down! You tank is looking great! Keep up the good job! [emoji4]

You sir get 2 chickens and 2 sirens!

[emoji239][emoji599][emoji239][emoji599][emoji91]

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through your entire thread. I must say you've had a rocky road but we've all been there! Great job! Way to hang tough and slow down! You tank is looking great! Keep up the good job! [emoji4]

You sir get 2 chickens and 2 sirens!

[emoji239][emoji599][emoji239][emoji599][emoji91]
thanks brotha! the road has been a rough one indeed, but I'm no quitter. your compliment means a lot to me, thank you. with enough persistence, one must rise to the top one day. It reminds me of a story my dad has told me. Dad was in the army for 23 years. after that he became an administartor at the state attorneys office in west palm beach, FL. I asked him one day how he became the boss. He said, it was simple. I just showed up to work on time every day and didn't complain. Eventually there was no on else left, so they promoted me. that makes me think of my reefing hobby. Keep showing up and it'll eventually work out...

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks brotha! the road has been a rough one indeed, but I'm no quitter. your compliment means a lot to me, thank you. with enough persistence, one must rise to the top one day. It reminds me of a story my dad has told me. Dad was in the army for 23 years. after that he became an administartor at the state attorneys office in west palm beach, FL. I asked him one day how he became the boss. He said, it was simple. I just showed up to work on time every day and didn't complain. Eventually there was no on else left, so they promoted me. that makes me think of my reefing hobby. Keep showing up and it'll eventually work out...

Yes ! Your father had it right. Diligence pays off!

[emoji6]

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how would you spend $200 on my tank? Fish, Corals, both...???
img_9940-jpg.409904

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it depends on the type of powerheads you have. If they are DC type powerheads then it's easy. If they are AC then it still can be done just a different way.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back