My fish are breathing quite quickly. I am a newbie to this stuff. How fast is TOO fast.

GianGian1717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my tank my rainbow fish are breathing at a rate of around 170 breaths per minute! that is quite fast in my opinion but I don't know if it is usual for this species. I also have 2 angel fish breathing at around 125 breaths a minute. all my other fish are moving to fast to count.

I am pretty sure it is because the water I used during my water change was around 31 degrees Celsius but I have placed a zip lock bag with and ice pack at the top to reduce the water temp.

Should i be worried. Also every now and again my fish head to the top of the tank and take breaths from the surface. not often though.

The tank is not over crowded. Only 15 small sized fish in a 110L tank.

Could the cause of this also be ammonia??

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
In case you didn't know, this is mostly a saltwater site.

I'm not sure what the normal breathing rate is for rainbows and angels. 31 degrees (88 F) is pretty darn warm, but I think angels can tolerate pretty warm temps. What rainbow species?
110 liters (29 gallon) is pretty small for most rainbows that aren't dwarf or blue eyes. Pretty small for angels.
Maybe. Is there ammonia present about 0.25ppm? Is the tank cycled?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
In my tank my rainbow fish are breathing at a rate of around 170 breaths per minute! that is quite fast in my opinion but I don't know if it is usual for this species. I also have 2 angel fish breathing at around 125 breaths a minute. all my other fish are moving to fast to count.

I am pretty sure it is because the water I used during my water change was around 31 degrees Celsius but I have placed a zip lock bag with and ice pack at the top to reduce the water temp.

Should i be worried. Also every now and again my fish head to the top of the tank and take breaths from the surface. not often though.

31 degree water
If Celsius, a little low and may be osmotic shock but doubt it’s the cause
I assume you matched salinity for beefeater to match that if the tank?
What is ammonia and nitrate level?
What test kits are you using?
RODI or tap water from the faucet?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back