Juvenile bristletooth tang breathing fast

Michaelrisucci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a juvenile bristletooth tang that was doing fine until about two days ago. He seemed to be picking at rocks/ eating fine as well as breathing at the right speed. The other day, I noticed a change in the speed of its breathing and now it is extremely fast. I can’t get it to eat. I put it in a quarantine tank with PraziPro to see if it would help, but instead it laid on its side and continued to breathe fast. I moved it back into my display tank and it began to swim back upright. None of my other fish are breathing fast and my parameters are all in check ( tested with salifert test kits). What could be wrong with it and what can I do.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a juvenile bristletooth tang that was doing fine until about two days ago. He seemed to be picking at rocks/ eating fine as well as breathing at the right speed. The other day, I noticed a change in the speed of its breathing and now it is extremely fast. I can’t get it to eat. I put it in a quarantine tank with PraziPro to see if it would help, but instead it laid on its side and continued to breathe fast. I moved it back into my display tank and it began to swim back upright. None of my other fish are breathing fast and my parameters are all in check ( tested with salifert test kits). What could be wrong with it and what can I do.
Prazi in many cases can deplete/reduce both oxygen and appetite. It most be dsed according to bottle in which for many is confusing. Praziquantel contains glycol and carefl use is suggested. Not always is heavy breathing flukes but can be:
Stress
elevated temperature
low salinity
High ammonia and/or nitrate
Aggression from tankmates.

In many cases, you can give the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip for temporary relief if flukes but with elevated breathing - Not advised as this step also imposes stress.
Any signs of inflamed gills, loss of appetite, scratching, yawning or swimming at surface?

OP
OP
M

Michaelrisucci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi in many cases can deplete/reduce both oxygen and appetite. It most be dsed according to bottle in which for many is confusing. Praziquantel contains glycol and carefl use is suggested. Not always is heavy breathing flukes but can be:
Stress
elevated temperature
low salinity
High ammonia and/or nitrate
Aggression from tankmates.

In many cases, you can give the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip for temporary relief if flukes but with elevated breathing - Not advised as this step also imposes stress.
Any signs of inflamed gills, loss of appetite, scratching, yawning or swimming at surface?
I definitely won’t be placing him back in the PraziPro. He has had loss of appetite but no other mentioned signs have been shown. He is currently swimming at ground level.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I definitely won’t be placing him back in the PraziPro. He has had loss of appetite but no other mentioned signs have been shown. He is currently swimming at ground level.
Increase oxygen via air stone and assure water quality is favorable mainly ammonia and ph level.
Please provide when you can a video of fish under white lighting of at least 20 seconds

OP
OP
M

Michaelrisucci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase oxygen via air stone and assure water quality is favorable mainly ammonia and ph level.
Please provide when you can a video of fish under white lighting of at least 20 seconds
I have a bubble wall going across the back of my tank that runs 24/7 and I added an extra air stone the other day. I’m currently not able to attach the video that I took.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a bubble wall going across the back of my tank that runs 24/7 and I added an extra air stone the other day. I’m currently not able to attach the video that I took.
Ok good on added O2

OP
OP
M

Michaelrisucci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came home to him stuck against the filter still alive, moved him to a different quarantine tank with fresh saltwater and no treatment and lots of oxygen and he passed as soon as I put him in.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came home to him stuck against the filter still alive, moved him to a different quarantine tank with fresh saltwater and no treatment and lots of oxygen and he passed as soon as I put him in.

Sorry to hear.

Since the rapid breathing began before the Prazipro, I'm worried there is an uncontrolled disease here. Your other fish have been exposed. If the issue is one of the more contagious things like velvet, there is a good chance they will get sick as well- keep a close eye on them for any similar symptoms.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back