OP
OP
TopClamSkoo

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah..... I will let the lfs know.. hopefully he can help...

problem is my wife is attached to the fish so i cant take em back but at least the lfs should know about this.

Told my wife im going to net the lil guy and exchange him but she wouldnt have it lol!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a developmental deformity.. could this have happened because of inbreeding???

Has this happen to anyone else buying facility bred/aquacultured fish?????
My kamohara blenny is captive bred, and has a crooked spine. His head is always facing the right, and his eyes and mouth are all messed up. While he always swims slightly off and gets picked on because of it, he otherwise acts healthy and eats.
4071C48F-8A92-4D83-8340-D939CBD8B5FE.jpeg
5CB507AE-AE9F-4F82-88D3-1260239A8AAF.jpeg

OP
OP
TopClamSkoo

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well... i guess
My kamohara blenny is captive bred, and has a crooked spine. His head is always facing the right, and his eyes and mouth are all messed up. While he always swims slightly off and gets picked on because of it, he otherwise acts healthy and eats.
4071C48F-8A92-4D83-8340-D939CBD8B5FE.jpeg
5CB507AE-AE9F-4F82-88D3-1260239A8AAF.jpeg
sucks,...
but at least its healthy!
I guess im not alone lol!
im still surprised this topic is not really big on forums..

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah..... I will let the lfs know.. hopefully he can help...

problem is my wife is attached to the fish so i cant take em back but at least the lfs should know about this.

Told my wife im going to net the lil guy and exchange him but she wouldnt have it lol!
You could angle it with the LFS that you respect the life and want to keep the fish, but feel that you paid for something and got something different. Maybe get a partial credit?

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet those nigripes had developmental problems. Some designer clowns are popping up with inbreeding depression, but those nigripes were most likely from wild parents, or at most F2 fish.
Most fish breeders use wild parental stock unless they are trying to set a specific genetic trait.

Jay
Oh no doubt these are at most F2/F3, but that doesn't excuse the lack of culling. I have no idea how small the broodstock for nigripes have been over the years, so who knows if there was any inbreeding among the F1 or F2 generations, or if the deformities were from F1 mutations that just weren't dealt with.

Nice and obvious crooked mouth and short video showing the obvious lack of a proper swim bladder. It's a real shame because of how beautiful the pair is otherwise.
IMG_1577.jpg

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once caught a 9 pound brown trout in a river in Michigan with a deformed upper snout. The taxidermist said, "looks like a hatchery fish." If the fish is eating and acting normal it is likely something it can live and thrive with.
I’ve seen this in trout too. They bump their heads in the raceways and get flat snouts or crooked ones. Nice though, a nine pound brown!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back