My fish's jaw crooked. YIKES!!!

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All!

Just got this fish two days ago and I just noticed something...

Got a neon dottyback. He or she is gonna be the only fish in the tank. Thank God lol!

But noticed that the fish's jaw is crooked...
The fish has no visible rips or tears or scars from a fight or attack. It just appears to be crooked!

Is this a mutation or did the fish dislocate it's jaw at the lfs somehow???

Is this normal?????!!? Is it a mutation? Dislocation? Or some kind of disease??
The fish is very young. It's only 1 inches long..
Will the jaw go back to normal?
Or will the fish have to live with this deformity?

Please see pics. I hope you guys can see what I see. Sorry the images are not great. The jerk won't stop moving lol and my phone sucks.

*****Please note. On one side it looks normal and on the other side.. the neon dottyback's face looks like a tile fish.. kinda looks like it's tucking it's lips inside it's mouth.

Thank u in advance!
IMG_20220828_170842257~2.jpg

IMG_20220828_170835515~2.jpg

IMG_20220828_170414677~2.jpg

IMG_20220828_170745437.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tank raised fish. Most likely it is a developmental deformity, and was like this when you bought it….nothing can be done to fix that though.
There is also a slim chance that it snagged its jaw when getting caught in a net at the LFS. That could get better on its own.
I would contact the LFS as either way, it is unlikely to have been anything you did.
Jay

OP
OP
TopClamSkoo

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang it!!
It eats and is very active...
I was fearing it's a deformity..
So sad.
It was small that I couldn't pick up on the deformity and during my exam B4 the purchase .. all I was looking for was wounds, ich, etc..
Dang it....
I really hope it gets better as it gets bigger.
Any more thoughts anyone?
Dang..

OP
OP
TopClamSkoo

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a developmental deformity.. could this have happened because of inbreeding???

Has this happen to anyone else buying facility bred/aquacultured fish?????

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a developmental deformity.. could this have happened because of inbreeding???

I’ve seen it in petco often. Fish with odd shaped noses, crooked jaws, spines and bent fins. Possibly inbreeding? don’t know.

OP
OP
TopClamSkoo

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man.. never knew fish would have this problem..
I even did a search and nobody talks about this...

What's goin on with aquaculture fish?????

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is why culling in aquatic breeding is important as well as adding new blood to the line every once in a while.

if it is a deformaty and not an injury they can live a full normal life as long as they are eating fine.

OP
OP
TopClamSkoo

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why culling in aquatic breeding is important as well as adding new blood to the line every once in a while.

if it is a deformaty and not an injury they can live a full normal life as long as they are eating fine.
Yeah. He's eating well and very active.

It just caught me off guard when I noticed the deformity..

Never had a fish in all my 15 years have this issue..

Sucks that they don't address these issues.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My avatar is an F14.. but the F15 Eagle is a beautiful aircraft as well!
Never shot down during it's entire history of combat!
The Israelites are the pilots with the most victories in the F15
F-14 Tomcat, swing wing... My father was an F-4 Driver back in the day. The most beautiful fighter jet of all time in my opinion. The Israelis flew F-4s for a long time.

32nd.jpg f4.jpg

OP
OP
TopClamSkoo

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F-14 Tomcat, swing wing... My father was an F-4 Driver back in the day. The most beautiful fighter jet of all time in my opinion. The Israelis flew F-4s for a long time.

32nd.jpg f4.jpg
Nice!!! Actually my favorite aircraft when I was kid in the 80s!!
It is def beautiful!
Wow! That is soooo cool that ur dad flew one of those! That's amazing!! Being a fighter pilot from my understanding is one of the hardest things to become in the military.. I mean u are flying a hundred million dollar equipment lol!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man.. never knew fish would have this problem..
I even did a search and nobody talks about this...

What's goin on with aquaculture fish?????
They need to cull their fish more aggressively, and grow them up a bit larger. Trouble is, that costs money, so it isn’t done in order to keep prices down and/or profits up.

Jay

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently had this happen, ordered a pair of captive-bred Amphiprion nigripes or the blackfoot skunk clown. Both deformed: one with a very crooked jaw like your dottyback, the other not being able to keep itself in the water as it has a deformed swim bladder issue. I don't like doing it, but I ordered a pair of wild ones instead. No risk of deformities there, and I can deal with the diseases clowns might possibly bring in.

I sent an email to the breeders, because they are a wholesale clown breeder, and I was trying very hard the entire time to not lecture them about culling their fish. These are deformities that are noticeable very soon after settlement.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently had this happen, ordered a pair of captive-bred Amphiprion nigripes or the blackfoot skunk clown. Both deformed: one with a very crooked jaw like your dottyback, the other not being able to keep itself in the water as it has a deformed swim bladder issue. I don't like doing it, but I ordered a pair of wild ones instead. No risk of deformities there, and I can deal with the diseases clowns might possibly bring in.

I sent an email to the breeders, because they are a wholesale clown breeder, and I was trying very hard the entire time to not lecture them about culling their fish. These are deformities that are noticeable very soon after settlement.
I bet those nigripes had developmental problems. Some designer clowns are popping up with inbreeding depression, but those nigripes were most likely from wild parents, or at most F2 fish.
Most fish breeders use wild parental stock unless they are trying to set a specific genetic trait.

Jay

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I doubt the dottybacks are inbred as much as clowns. They probably had wild parents!

Deformities can happen for lots of reasons though.... clowns may get pushed in faces from swimming against a corner in a square tank as fry... pinched heads and small fins may be poor breeding in clowns but even water quality can effect how fish turn out.

That fish was probably supposed to be culled and went unnoticed.

I love captive bred but you do need to inspect fish closely before purchase as deformities sometimes make it to sale. If you ordered this fish online, I would ask for a refund.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back