My Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish: Dendrochirus brachypterus

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I added photos of my other lions, I changed the title.

True yellows are really really hard to find. Usually they're "partials", in that the yellow doesn't carry through to the fins AND the body. This guy is a true Bumble Bee.

Last edited:

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

A member on nano-reef got this beauty a few months back! Stunning fish but out of my budget!
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/365104-hypes-final-nano-bommie-sump-flow/page-14

Is that your bumble bee in the photo? Where did you get it from?

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning! Are these guys hardy?

You mean fuzzies in general or the yellows? Fuzzies are super hardy, the yellows are one of the touchiest fish out there. The next one I get (I've had 2) I'm doing a necropsy on it, if it should die. They go down like a fish who was captured with cyanide. I don't think they were after the lions specifically, as they are super easy to catch. But they would be holed up with the other hiding fish, doing what they do.... hanging out.

This fish, the owner called me and said he had an odd colored green lion that he wanted me to come see. Yes, indeed it looked green, as that's the color you get when mixing yellow and blue. Their blue background in the tank was making this $300 fish look like a $20 fish. Yes, bag up that $20 "green" lion for me, please. O.O

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they are under normal tank lights, they glow. My guy was in the QT with overhead garage lights in that picture. LOL.

I got him from an LFS.
Well if he was that stunning under garage lights then that had to be a gorgeous fish! Someday I'd love to have one! I'd like a fuzzy but I know they don't do well with zebras and my zebra is my absolute favorite. He isn't the most colorful, but he has soooo much personality. He always swims the front glass when he sees me near the tank and he follow me around when I'm photographing the tank or doing maintenance. Such a puppy dog!

That's weird that they are so difficult! I figured they'd be hardy like other fuzzies.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious why you say they are more difficult then regular fuzzies? Do you put the reds in that category as well?

Last yellow I had was doing very well till the move.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only found it to be true of the true yellows, Doug.... the total yellows. We've had our eye on three at different LFS. All were not doing well and we said if they can get it better, we would buy. All three died within two weeks before we could purchase them. Different stores, different times. There was one from DD that they never could send me, because it wasn't doing well. They sent another later and it didn't do well for me. I've had no issues with any of the others, even with those that had a lot of yellow on them.

Last edited:

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! Can you label what they are, for those of us that don't already know? :)

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess we can't change titles?

I added it to the first post. These are all the same species, D. brachypterus.

If you want them changed, just report it and one of the mods will edit it for you. :)

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread makes me miss my fuzzy. :(

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess we can't change titles?

I added it to the first post. These are all the same species, D. brachypterus.
You should be able to change the title, since you're a supporter! All you need to do is hover over thread tools on the top right hand side and click on edit title!

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning! How do you think one of those fuzzies would do in a SPS tank with tons of flow? Always wanted one!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back