My Grateful Journeys Tank

Calmwaters

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Fish Update:

I’m excited to introduce the latest member of my lil reef. Meet Frank Lloyd Wright, AKA. Frankie; an Orange Shoulder Tang. Why the famous name you ask?

Well, a year ago when I started to plan setting-up a fish tank again, I happened to see a full-grown one in an LFS and was mesmerized by his distinct block markings. I immediately thought of my favorite architect FLW and one of my favorite houses, Hollyhock, here in Los Angeles. I have visited it often. Nature continues to amaze and defy logic.

Because I have a small tank (when it comes to stocking Tangs), I knew I needed to get a juvenile, knowing that someday he would go to the LFS and find a new home in a bigger tank. The problem was, I wanted one that had already transitioned or had at least clearly started his block markings as I don’t have years to wait. And as we know, fish can take years past the norm to transition fully and some just don’t.

That’s why I went to Elliott at @Marine Collectors for this difficult sourcing task. And of course, he came through as usual and not only is Frankie showing off his block colors, he is still quite small and fits perfectly in the 75 gal.

We picked him up yesterday at MC and he arrived home just as the lights were going out in the DT, 7pm. Just in time for moon cycle. This worked out well as the Wrasse and Goby had already gone to bed in the sand for the night. Of course, when they awoke this morning they were in for quite a surprise. LOL

Frankie has a very gentle energy about him. He doesn’t seem bothered by anyone and gladly ate the breakfast provided and is now diligently pecking at the rockscape and back panel for delicious treats. The Wrasse can’t figure out if he should play and cuddle or pretend to be dominant. A couple stand-offs, but so far, I’m not concerned. Frankie seems to take it in stride and while he goes to the cave area, he spends most of the time out in the main water column gliding through all the swim-throughs and pecking away at scape.

Here are the best pics I was able to get – they really don’t show the wonderful block color line across the middle of his body, and the wonderful orange on dorsal fine. Even his purple/orange rectangle is bright! The photo with the wrasse shows size comparison. I also included the FLW house (Hollyhock) and illustration since it inspired his name.

I continue to be amazed daily by this little ocean reef in my house that I am the steward of. I am truly blessed.

image0.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg FLW Illustations.jpg FLW HollyHock House.jpg
He's lovely! Congrats on getting him!

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I love my little nano fish but am super jealous of Frank. Congrats!

Thanks Will!

Your nano fish is the cutest- I’m wishing I HAD a nano tank so I could really focus in on the little fishies. They get lost in a regular tank.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was wondering why you were up late yesterday now I understand. long and prosperous life to Frank, I know he will be loved and cherished.
Frankie... ;) :)

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering why you were up late yesterday now I understand. long and prosperous life to Frank, I know he will be loved and cherished.
Thank you Remi! Yeah, last night was tough, but everyone was good today in the tank and Frankie was a model citizen!

I’m already wayyy too attached to them all.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FISH UPDATE:

This week I had planned on picking up the only Tangs I will be adding to my lil reef; an Orange Shoulder Tang, and a Chocolate Tang (Acanthurus pyroferus). I placed the order for both (to come home at the same time), 3.5 months ago with Marine Collectors. The Orange Shoulder was ready over a month ago, and did in fact, come home this week; but the Chocolate did not.

I have spoken about both in earlier posts and the importance to me that they be in full color/marking transition or completely transitioned, but just maturing in those colors/markings.

Two months ago, Elliot, the owner of Marine Collectors reached out to me regarding the Chocolate he had procured. It was fully chocolate, not mature chocolate, but no yellow on main body. The problem was he had developed a lateral line infection and needed to stay at MC until that was gone. I thought, No Worries, this is why I am using MC as my go to for difficult-to-to-source fish, and more critical his thorough QT and Conditioning Methodologies. The Tang eventually healed and was doing great and while I could have brought it home at that time, Elliott wanted to keep it longer, so the “lateral line” was gone and the fish looked esthetically pleasing as well. I agreed.

Unfortunately the Tang wasn’t healing to the level Elliot wanted and he let me know he would find another Chocolate. I was bummed only because I was impatient to get these two Tangs into my tank and settled so I could continue to add fish from the stocking list Elliot, and I had created. Not to mention I really needed the Tang “Utilitarian Fish” benefits as well!

Elliot found a second Tang who in fact was fully transitioned yet still quite small! Perfect for my 75 gal. I was all set to pick him up when I got a call from Elliot – the Tang was just starting to develop odd markings on body and fins; a genetic-change, not a disease or parasite. He sent me a video and asked if I had seen aberrant tangs before where an aberration in the DNA had caused the colors/markings to go wild. He said he had never seen this species of tang do this and was quite surprised himself. I said I had seen those types of tangs and knew they were quite sought after and had a hefty-price tag, but was not a fan of that look. More importantly, I fell in love with the Chocolate Tang based on an adult’s velvety chocolate body with striking contrast of tail and dorsal fin.

Elliot said there was no way to know at this point how the colors/markings would mature. I actually started to chuckle at this point and said while I wasn’t interested in an aberrant chocolate tang, I would likely see this one in his Collectors section with a big price tag someday and I would know, “that’s the rare fish Jennifer passed on”!

Thing is, I am totally ok with that. I’m not looking for collector fish. EVERY fish that goes into my home reef is chosen for a special reason, whether that be color pattern that mesmerizes me; a body shape or face that makes me laugh; a personality that’s almost human-like; or that it reminds me of something I love.

I’m coming to the decision that maybe a chocolate tang or for that matter another tang in general isn’t right for me with my current setup and fish. 75 gal gets small quick with Tangs, and I want to reduce aggression wherever I can. I am satisfied that I got the Orange-Shoulder as he was always on the top of my dream list. A lot was learned during this Tang process and I continue to look at my stocking list with a better understanding.

Last edited:

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Fish Update:

I’m excited to introduce the latest member of my lil reef. Meet Frank Lloyd Wright, AKA. Frankie; an Orange Shoulder Tang. Why the famous name you ask?

Well, a year ago when I started to plan setting-up a fish tank again, I happened to see a full-grown one in an LFS and was mesmerized by his distinct block markings. I immediately thought of my favorite architect FLW and one of my favorite houses, Hollyhock, here in Los Angeles. I have visited it often. Nature continues to amaze and defy logic.

Because I have a small tank (when it comes to stocking Tangs), I knew I needed to get a juvenile, knowing that someday he would go to the LFS and find a new home in a bigger tank. The problem was, I wanted one that had already transitioned or had at least clearly started his block markings as I don’t have years to wait. And as we know, fish can take years past the norm to transition fully and some just don’t.

That’s why I went to Elliott at @Marine Collectors for this difficult sourcing task. And of course, he came through as usual and not only is Frankie showing off his block colors, he is still quite small and fits perfectly in the 75 gal.

We picked him up yesterday at MC and he arrived home just as the lights were going out in the DT, 7pm. Just in time for moon cycle. This worked out well as the Wrasse and Goby had already gone to bed in the sand for the night. Of course, when they awoke this morning they were in for quite a surprise. LOL

Frankie has a very gentle energy about him. He doesn’t seem bothered by anyone and gladly ate the breakfast provided and is now diligently pecking at the rockscape and back panel for delicious treats. The Wrasse can’t figure out if he should play and cuddle or pretend to be dominant. A couple stand-offs, but so far, I’m not concerned. Frankie seems to take it in stride and while he goes to the cave area, he spends most of the time out in the main water column gliding through all the swim-throughs and pecking away at scape.

Here are the best pics I was able to get – they really don’t show the wonderful block color line across the middle of his body, and the wonderful orange on dorsal fine. Even his purple/orange rectangle is bright! The photo with the wrasse shows size comparison. I also included the FLW house (Hollyhock) and illustration since it inspired his name.

I continue to be amazed daily by this little ocean reef in my house that I am the steward of. I am truly blessed.

image0.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg FLW Illustations.jpg FLW HollyHock House.jpg
looks great

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Update:

And now to introduce the second new neighbor who moved in this week - the Diamond Goby! I’ve decided to call him, “Lawrence of Arabia” from the 1960’s movie with Peter O’Toole. His blue diamonds sparkle against the snowy white backdrop of the sand just like Lawrence’s eyes in the movie. And more importantly, he is within himself a sandstorm- racing through the desert, searching, disrupting, recreating as he goes!

This guy arrived with confidence! Started sifting and making a neat pile of the GHA/sand clumps right away - so I could just turkey baste it out in one fell swoop - thank you! He has already touched the entire sand bed in this 75 gal, 48’ long display. I’ve got mountains, dunes, secret caves, bare bottom sections - and it changes daily.

I know some get frustrated with goby’s causing havoc with the sand, but for me that’s the whole enjoyment other than the CUC aspect of him. While I love that Instagram look of pristine, smooth sand beds with nothing on them other then the main rock scape; this is a habitat for animals and it should looked lived in, well-worn with love!

I will note though, I did move a couple things onto higher ground and am working on raising my zoa garden with another layer of flat Marco rock as he will eventually kill then with sand.

As far as getting him to eat?!? Please! I experimented the first two days worried he might not eat enough and what if my sandbed didn’t provide enough supplement. Hikari Extreme small wafers, yep; PE Mysis, yep; Rod’s Original, yep; TDO Chroma, yep. Swims mid-column during feeding and grabs what’s flying by; visited second tier of rock scape and found some leftovers! All this plus eating an entire tanks worth of Schmutz!

Since he conditioned in the LFS for a month, he doesn’t spook when your near the tank and could care less about the clowns. His buddy the Mel is always trying to visit and cuddle and Lawerence just goes with it.

I can’t imagine not having this fish in any tank I would ever have. Utilitarian to the max and entertainment by the hour.

Pic of him and his remodeling efforts.

IMG_2326.jpeg IMG_2327.jpeg
best name for your diamond goby

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gentlemen @tbrown @i cant think @Slocke

I have made some decisions on my original dream stocking list that will change some of my choices in adding wrasses to my family of fish.

I have crossed out (for various reasons stated), some of the dream fish list #1. I am totally ok with this as my actual OG dream list is much longer and there is no shortage of incredible fish to choose from. After seeing the interactions of multiple fish in the tank vs. just a pair of bonded clowns, I want as peaceful as tank as possible (knowing any fish can always go against their normal personality traits).

List #2 Are all wrasses I’m really attracted to (at least that I have seen in a pic) or LFS.

I know not only having, but putting the Mel Wrasse in first probably wasn’t prudent, but he is in the tank and while still small, I hope he will grow without too much aggression, but one never knows. I absolutely love him and would gladly go without other fish to keep him.

My ask is based on all of this, would you kindly look one more time and assess my wrasse list and give me a force-rank list back on Yes, I can add and What order they should be added (not sure if the Anthias list should be mixed into the stocking plan, but assume so. Regarding the Mandarin, if he is a go, I would add him much later once my tank is more mature.

Since my tank can only hold so many fish, this list will likely be the final one. Of course if I can’t actually source/afford one or something big changes within the current population, I would revisit (probably look at wrasse’s that didn’t get put in due to tank capacity at the time. Please note, my goal is to have the tank stocked by end of summer, if that is wise. I am on a timeline since my health can change on a dime.

I know we have discussed my fish list a few times already and I really appreciate your patience as I learn what the heck I’m doing.

List #1 My OG Dream List:

Already in the tank:

Pair of bonded, Blackstorm clownfish
1 – Diamondback Goby
1 – Melanurus Wrasse – Juvenile 3.75” tip to tip
1 – Orange Shoulder Tang – small 4.5” tip to tip

CUC – 12 Conehead Trochus Snails; 6-Bumblebee Snails; 12 - Blue/Red Legged Hermite Crabs; 3 Emerald Crabs; 2 Peppermint Shrimp; 2 Blue Tuxedo Urchins. The Mel had eaten quite a few of the smaller variety snails so was waiting to replenish. Now that he has prepared food competition with the Tang, he seems to be focused on that. LOL

Decided Against:
More Tangs - Tank just isn't that big and I want to give the Orange Shoulder plenty of swimming and growing room.
1 – Nemateleotris Helfrichi (too shy with tang and Mel wrasse) read multiple blogs where it jumps even during a water change. I really, really wanted this fish, and if you guys feel otherwise please say so. I do have an excellent lid, it’s just during water changes and such that I worry.

1 - Imperator Angelfish – Too finicky, more expert level and will def have to give to LFS if it grows a lot in first year. Beautiful, but I can find other fish to take its place.

List #2 - Dream Fish I would like to Add:

Wrasses I really like – I force-ranked only based on favorites. I realize with the Mel/Diamond Goby I shouldn't get anymore sand sleepers. Hopefully, I didn't choose any:

Rosy Scale Wrasse Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis - Male
Blue-side Wrasse Cirrhilabrus Cyanopleura - Male
Red Velvet Wrasse Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa - Male
Diamond Tail Flasher Paracheilinus attenuatus – Male
Halichoeres iridis- Male
Dusky Fairy Wrasse - Male
Scott’s Wrasse – Cirrhilabrus scottorum Male (I like the regular and the green-sided)
Blue-Star Leopard - Male
Moon/Thalassemia Lunare – Male

Anthias I would like to add:

2-3 Lyretail - Pseudanthias squamipinnis. I need to check on male/female grouping, I want the male coloring and might just get one terminal if that is even possible. Need to read on them further, but I def want one male.

1- Square Anthias - Pseudanthias pleurotaenia

1 - Sunburst Anthias – Serranochirrhitus latus. Love this chonky guy and it's as close as I will get to that goofy Borbonius Anthias that I am so smitten with but could never afford. Like I really, really want a Borbonius but unless he goes on a clearance sale…

Other: Mandarin Psychedelic - Once tank is more mature

Again, I really appreciate your continued help. You might start having to charge a Wrasse consulting fee soon.

Jennifer

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Gentlemen @tbrown @i cant think @Slocke

I have made some decisions on my original dream stocking list that will change some of my choices in adding wrasses to my family of fish.

I have crossed out (for various reasons stated), some of the dream fish list #1. I am totally ok with this as my actual OG dream list is much longer and there is no shortage of incredible fish to choose from. After seeing the interactions of multiple fish in the tank vs. just a pair of bonded clowns, I want as peaceful as tank as possible (knowing any fish can always go against their normal personality traits).

List #2 Are all wrasses I’m really attracted to (at least that I have seen in a pic) or LFS.

I know not only having, but putting the Mel Wrasse in first probably wasn’t prudent, but he is in the tank and while still small, I hope he will grow without too much aggression, but one never knows. I absolutely love him and would gladly go without other fish to keep him.

My ask is based on all of this, would you kindly look one more time and assess my wrasse list and give me a force-rank list back on Yes, I can add and What order they should be added (not sure if the Anthias list should be mixed into the stocking plan, but assume so. Regarding the Mandarin, if he is a go, I would add him much later once my tank is more mature.

Since my tank can only hold so many fish, this list will likely be the final one. Of course if I can’t actually source/afford one or something big changes within the current population, I would revisit (probably look at wrasse’s that didn’t get put in due to tank capacity at the time. Please note, my goal is to have the tank stocked by end of summer, if that is wise. I am on a timeline since my health can change on a dime.

I know we have discussed my fish list a few times already and I really appreciate your patience as I learn what the heck I’m doing.

List #1 My OG Dream List:

Already in the tank:

Pair of bonded, Blackstorm clownfish
1 – Diamondback Goby
1 – Melanurus Wrasse – Juvenile 3.75” tip to tip
1 – Orange Shoulder Tang – small 4.5” tip to tip

CUC – 12 Conehead Trochus Snails; 6-Bumblebee Snails; 12 - Blue/Red Legged Hermite Crabs; 3 Emerald Crabs; 2 Peppermint Shrimp; 2 Blue Tuxedo Urchins. The Mel had eaten quite a few of the smaller variety snails so was waiting to replenish. Now that he has prepared food competition with the Tang, he seems to be focused on that. LOL

Decided Against:
More Tangs - Tank just isn't that big and I want to give the Orange Shoulder plenty of swimming and growing room.
1 – Nemateleotris Helfrichi (too shy with tang and Mel wrasse) read multiple blogs where it jumps even during a water change. I really, really wanted this fish, and if you guys feel otherwise please say so. I do have an excellent lid, it’s just during water changes and such that I worry.

1 - Imperator Angelfish – Too finicky, more expert level and will def have to give to LFS if it grows a lot in first year. Beautiful, but I can find other fish to take its place.

List #2 - Dream Fish I would like to Add:

Wrasses I really like – I force-ranked only based on favorites. I realize with the Mel/Diamond Goby I shouldn't get anymore sand sleepers. Hopefully, I didn't choose any:

Rosy Scale Wrasse Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis - Male
Blue-side Wrasse Cirrhilabrus Cyanopleura - Male
Red Velvet Wrasse Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa - Male
Diamond Tail Flasher Paracheilinus attenuatus – Male
Halichoeres iridis- Male
Dusky Fairy Wrasse - Male
Scott’s Wrasse – Cirrhilabrus scottorum Male (I like the regular and the green-sided)
Blue-Star Leopard - Male
Moon/Thalassemia Lunare – Male

Anthias I would like to add:

2-3 Lyretail - Pseudanthias squamipinnis. I need to check on male/female grouping, I want the male coloring and might just get one terminal if that is even possible. Need to read on them further, but I def want one male.

1- Square Anthias - Pseudanthias pleurotaenia

1 - Sunburst Anthias – Serranochirrhitus latus. Love this chonky guy and it's as close as I will get to that goofy Borbonius Anthias that I am so smitten with but could never afford. Like I really, really want a Borbonius but unless he goes on a clearance sale…

Other: Mandarin Psychedelic - Once tank is more mature

Again, I really appreciate your continued help. You might start having to charge a Wrasse consulting fee soon.

Jennifer
I believe the Iridis, Leopard, and possibly the Lunare are all sand sleepers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back