My Grateful Journeys Tank

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the veteran reefers on sump maintenance:

I have seen two kinds of sump maintenance; both extremely long/term successful from respected reefers in this forum and out in the world. Curious if it just comes down to preference.

Also, I’m speaking of main sump compartment where pumps, skimmers, heaters, sit. Not the refug/chaeto growing sections. I don’t have a refuge/chaeto section though, but I do keep live TBS rubble in a pond basket in main sump area.

I prefer the meticulous for two reasons - it’s just clean, less tank smell in room, AND you can see all equipment and cords for monitoring. And if kept up, minimal maintenance.

I ask this mainly as I was going to vacuum the detritus on sump floor this week (not much there but it’s the time to do it if I am).

Tank 1: meticulously clean. Nothing growing on glass baffles, no animals, and clearly vacuumed regularly. You could eat out of it.

Tank 2: a literal science experiment, coraline buildup, stars on glass, etc.

I’ve read both sides - another area for beneficials or maintained regularly and biodiversity is in other areas of tank.
I have cleaned my sump out once in eight years. I used biopellets for about 6 months and got so tired of all the mulm I took it outside and dumped it
Other than that I don't really touch it.
I'll clean the heater if I can't see the light and I'll pull the skimmer every 3 months or so.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have cleaned my sump out once in eight years. I used biopellets for about 6 months and got so tired of all the mulm I took it outside and dumped it
Other than that I don't really touch it.
I'll clean the heater if I can't see the light and I'll pull the skimmer every 3 months or so.

Thank J! That confirms for me that based on everyone’s feedback and my personality, a balance in the middle is good. But front glass of sump will stay pristine as I’m known to do midnight viewings with a flashlight - LOL! “Was that a dripping noise?!??”

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FISH UPDATE:
The puppy, AKA, “Rainbow Fish” continues to delight. As mentioned, he loves the Diamond Goby, AKA, “Lawerence of Arabia”, and visits him throughout the day. This weekend I saw him causally inching his way towards Lawerence’s den hole. Trying to quietly scooch past him. No luck, so he grabbed a “snack” from the entrance and went to play in the yard.

He continues to show an interest in the snails and very small hermits. He will attack, take a chunk or two, then the goby rushes over, brings to one of his various lairs and adds to foundation. The puppy goes back periodically and pecks at the now rolled up snack! I’d call that a symbiotic relationship!

Of course this is not ideal for various reasons. I’m not paying escargot and shrimp scampi prices to feed him. He was conditioned all along to eat Mysis , pellets, etc.; however when I feed the tank he isn’t voracious - he goes for very small pieces, and runs and hides and repeats this process. He has no competition as the clowns eat in their area and he doesn’t care if they get close to him. He doesn’t realize it, but he is the big fish in the pond right now. However, come this Thursday all will change when the two tangs I purchased, come home. He is going to have to go back to eating what I intend, or he’s gonna be a hunger boy. Glad I’m replenishing my copepod population this week. I’ve also ordered some RN R.O.E. and PacPods to expand his and the other fishes dietary choices.

Even though I just today added 5 more blue hermit crabs, I will hold off on replenishing along with snails so his preferred snack is not readily available.

KIDS!!!

IMG_2379.jpeg IMG_2381.jpeg IMG_2382.jpeg

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FISH UPDATE:
The puppy, AKA, “Rainbow Fish” continues to delight. As mentioned, he loves the Diamond Goby, AKA, “Lawerence of Arabia”, and visits him throughout the day. This weekend I saw him causally inching his way towards Lawerence’s den hole. Trying to quietly scooch past him. No luck, so he grabbed a “snack” from the entrance and went to play in the yard.

He continues to show an interest in the snails and very small hermits. He will attack, take a chunk or two, then the goby rushes over, brings to one of his various lairs and adds to foundation. The puppy goes back periodically and pecks at the now rolled up snack! I’d call that a symbiotic relationship!

Of course this is not ideal for various reasons. I’m not paying escargot and shrimp scampi prices to feed him. He was conditioned all along to eat Mysis , pellets, etc.; however when I feed the tank he isn’t voracious - he goes for very small pieces, and runs and hides and repeats this process. He has no competition as the clowns eat in their area and he doesn’t care if they get close to him. He doesn’t realize it, but he is the big fish in the pond right now. However, come this Thursday all will change when the two tangs I purchased, come home. He is going to have to go back to eating what I intend, or he’s gonna be a hunger boy. Glad I’m replenishing my copepod population this week. I’ve also ordered some RN R.O.E. and PacPods to expand his and the other fishes dietary choices.

Even though I just today added 5 more blue hermit crabs, I will hold off on replenishing along with snails so his preferred snack is not readily available.

KIDS!!!

Well, it looks like I figured out this young boy’s style of eating! I had been taking the Frozen PE Mysis and Rod’s original, letting it sit for a few minutes in a tablespoon of tank water, vigorously stirring and broadcasting through DT. Causing small stuff going everywhere- no big chunks.

Today, I just let it defrost, no tank water. It was like sludge, poured into tank and big balls of food floated around. The puppy went wild for that big ball, and kept attacking and eating. As did everyone else in the tank. Guess he just wants to be like the high school kids - no more lunchables for this guy!!

Even the peppermint shrimp snuck a huge ball back to his ledge.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FISH UPDATE:

KIDS!!!

All these pictures are fantastic I wouldn't worry too much about the camera thing. ;)

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing to mention about sumps/cleaning/stuff like that is if you have say a bubble trap sponge before your return DO clean that.
I had mine just get clogged once.
That was no fun.
I probably had that sponge in there for years. Forgot all about it.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing to mention about sumps/cleaning/stuff like that is if you have say a bubble trap sponge before your return DO clean that.
I had mine just get clogged once.
That was no fun.
I probably had that sponge in there for years. Forgot all about it.
Yes! The Red Sea sump came with a baffle cutout right in front of the return chamber. It came with one of those black wirey sponges that I actually hate. It’s almost 2” thick and sooo hard to clean deep inside it.

I clean it every two weeks during water changes. I’ve soaked it in hydrogen peroxide and one time in the BRS citric acid. I need to probably use bleach to truly eat the stuff in middle but don’t want to deteriorate sponge

I was going to see if RS sold extras and buy one to switch out so i can clean for longer period,

Thank you for reminding me!!!

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! The Red Sea sump came with a baffle cutout right in front of the return chamber. It came with one of those black wirey sponges that I actually hate. It’s almost 2” thick and sooo hard to clean deep inside it.

I clean it every two weeks during water changes. I’ve soaked it in hydrogen peroxide and one time in the BRS citric acid. I need to probably use bleach to truly eat the stuff in middle but don’t want to deteriorate sponge

I was going to see if RS sold extras and buy one to switch out so i can clean for longer period,

Thank you for reminding me!!!
Places like petco/premium aquatics sell different/replacement ones that are easier to clean and made of different materials.
The black wiry ones last longer between cleanings and are really just to dissipate the bubbles.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Places like petco/premium aquatics sell different/replacement ones that are easier to clean and made of different materials.
The black wiry ones last longer between cleanings and are really just to dissipate the bubbles.
Ahhh, good to know! I will research and switch out to something that has more benefits but can easily be cleaned. Glad your making recommendations as i Didn’t know I could do that!

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh, good to know! I will research and switch out to something that has more benefits but can easily be cleaned. Glad your making recommendations as i Didn’t know I could do that!
Just make sure you keep up on it because the easier to clean ones are easier to clog too. ;)

Marine Collectors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:
So excited that my two dream Tangs are ready to be brought home! I had asked Elliot @Marine Collectors to source these a few months ago as part of the stocking plan we curated together.

Even though the fish were fairly standard, my ask was not. I wanted both an Orange-Shoulder Tang, AND a Chocolate Tang, that had already transitioned towards their mature colors/patterns, but still be small enough in size to fit in my tank. Again, I don’t have years to wait.

He of course found them!

I’ll update and post pictures next week when they arrive home. Nervous and elated.
We're so glad to hear you're looking forward to the Orange Shoulder & Chocolate Tang! They'll be in their new home soon and we will keep an eye out for those pictures :)

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're so glad to hear you're looking forward to the Orange Shoulder & Chocolate Tang! They'll be in their new home soon and we will keep an eye out for those pictures :)

Thank you Elliot! I’ll be sure to post pictures and now that I’m getting better at it, I’ll also post on Instagram and tag you!

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Fish Update:

I’m excited to introduce the latest member of my lil reef. Meet Frank Lloyd Wright, AKA. Frankie; an Orange Shoulder Tang. Why the famous name you ask?

Well, a year ago when I started to plan setting-up a fish tank again, I happened to see a full-grown one in an LFS and was mesmerized by his distinct block markings. I immediately thought of my favorite architect FLW and one of my favorite houses, Hollyhock, here in Los Angeles. I have visited it often. Nature continues to amaze and defy logic.

Because I have a small tank (when it comes to stocking Tangs), I knew I needed to get a juvenile, knowing that someday he would go to the LFS and find a new home in a bigger tank. The problem was, I wanted one that had already transitioned or had at least clearly started his block markings as I don’t have years to wait. And as we know, fish can take years past the norm to transition fully and some just don’t.

That’s why I went to Elliott at @Marine Collectors for this difficult sourcing task. And of course, he came through as usual and not only is Frankie showing off his block colors, he is still quite small and fits perfectly in the 75 gal.

We picked him up yesterday at MC and he arrived home just as the lights were going out in the DT, 7pm. Just in time for moon cycle. This worked out well as the Wrasse and Goby had already gone to bed in the sand for the night. Of course, when they awoke this morning they were in for quite a surprise. LOL

Frankie has a very gentle energy about him. He doesn’t seem bothered by anyone and gladly ate the breakfast provided and is now diligently pecking at the rockscape and back panel for delicious treats. The Wrasse can’t figure out if he should play and cuddle or pretend to be dominant. A couple stand-offs, but so far, I’m not concerned. Frankie seems to take it in stride and while he goes to the cave area, he spends most of the time out in the main water column gliding through all the swim-throughs and pecking away at scape.

Here are the best pics I was able to get – they really don’t show the wonderful block color line across the middle of his body, and the wonderful orange on dorsal fine. Even his purple/orange rectangle is bright! The photo with the wrasse shows size comparison. I also included the FLW house (Hollyhock) and illustration since it inspired his name.

I continue to be amazed daily by this little ocean reef in my house that I am the steward of. I am truly blessed.

image0.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg FLW Illustations.jpg FLW HollyHock House.jpg

Last edited:

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Fish Update:

I’m excited to introduce the latest member of my lil reef. Meet Frank Lloyd Wright, AKA. Frankie; an Orange Shoulder Tang. Why the famous name you ask?

Well, a year ago when I started to plan setting-up a fish tank again, I happened to see a full-grown one in an LFS and was mesmerized by his distinct block markings. I immediately thought of my favorite architect FLW and one of my favorite houses, Hollyhock, here in Los Angeles. I have visited it often. Nature continues to amaze and defy logic.

Because I have a small tank (when it comes to stocking Tangs), I knew I needed to get a juvenile, knowing that someday he would go to the LFS and find a new home in a bigger tank. The problem was, I wanted one that had already transitioned or had at least clearly started his block markings as I don’t have years to wait. And as we know, fish can take years past the norm to transition fully and some just don’t.

That’s why I went to Elliott at @Marine Collectors for this difficult sourcing task. And of course, he came through as usual and not only is Frankie showing off his block colors, he is still quite small and fits perfectly in the 75 gal.

We picked him up yesterday at MC and he arrived home just as the lights were going out in the DT, 7pm. Just in time for moon cycle. This worked out well as the Wrasse and Goby had already gone to bed in the sand for the night. Of course, when they awoke this morning they were in for quite a surprise. LOL

Frankie has a very gentle energy about him. He doesn’t seem bothered by anyone and gladly ate the breakfast provided and is now diligently pecking at the rockscape and back panel for delicious treats. The Wrasse can’t figure out if he should play and cuddle or pretend to be dominant. A couple stand-offs, but so far, I’m not concerned. Frankie seems to take it in stride and while he goes to the cave area, he spends most of the time out in the main water column gliding through all the swim-throughs and pecking away at scape.

Here are the best pics I was able to get – they really don’t show the wonderful block color line across the middle of his body, and the wonderful orange on dorsal fine. Even his purple/orange rectangle is bright! The photo with the wrasse shows size comparison. I also included the FLW house (Hollyhock) and illustration since it inspired his name.

I continue to be amazed daily by this little ocean reef in my house that I am the steward of. I am truly blessed.

image0.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg FLW Illustations.jpg FLW HollyHock House.jpg
Absolutely gorgeous and the tank looks great, well done.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back