My Green Mandarin died today

Burray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found my Mandy dead this morning. I've had her for 3 months and there were no signs of being attached but her mouth was open. She has been eating frozen brine and prime reef flakes since I got her and have kept copepods in the tank as well. Just added 2 20oz bottles last week I purchased online. I watch her eat every day, she picks off the rocks and glass during the day and when I feed she would go for the food as well. I lost my Golden Head sleeper Goby last week but she just disappeared so I'm thinking she jumped Theo get the feeding slot in the hood. I have a Coral Beauty, 2 Clowns and a BiColor Blenny along with 2 cleaner shrimp,crabs and snails in my 32 gal. I was shocked when I found her. I justed tested the water and all is good. Does anyone have any thoughts? Tx

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe she got stung by something? I had a fat mandarin for a couple of years... most healthy ever.. and up and died one day. never knew why.

sorry for your loss

OP
OP
Burray

Burray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe she got stung by something? I had a fat mandarin for a couple of years... most healthy ever.. and up and died one day. never knew why.

sorry for your loss
Thank you. I do have a Frog Spawn could that have killed her?

OP
OP
Burray

Burray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is possible.. but there are a lot of things in the tank (bristle worm while it slept - again unlikely)... also. sickness, infection... anything is possible.
That's so sad. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Burray

Burray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! They are so amazing. Good luck with yours!

OP
OP
Burray

Burray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found my Mandy dead this morning. I've had her for 3 months and there were no signs of being attached but her mouth was open. She has been eating frozen brine and prime reef flakes since I got her and have kept copepods in the tank as well. Just added 2 20oz bottles last week I purchased online. I watch her eat every day, she picks off the rocks and glass during the day and when I feed she would go for the food as well. I lost my Golden Head sleeper Goby last week but she just disappeared so I'm thinking she jumped Theo get the feeding slot in the hood. I have a Coral Beauty, 2 Clowns and a BiColor Blenny along with 2 cleaner shrimp,crabs and snails in my 32 gal. I was shocked when I found her. I justed tested the water and all is good. Does anyone have any thoughts? Tx
Tx

OP
OP
Burray

Burray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the hardest parts of our hobby is never quite knowing why we lose a reef inhabitant.
Mandarins are reef darlings and losing one is tough.
Yes I loved my Mandy. She was a great eater and seemed to get along great with all the other fish. Eventually I will get another one.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure either, before I get one I'll definitely look into comparability
I've always heard they have to be male and female to keep a pair, but I'm not sure if the color matters. If you find out I'd appreciate if you'd share your findings. I have a spotted (psychedelic) and I'd love to have a blue mandarin to go with it.

OP
OP
Burray

Burray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always heard they have to be male and female to keep a pair, but I'm not sure if the color matters. If you find out I'd appreciate if you'd share your findings. I have a spotted (psychedelic) and I'd love to have a blue mandarin to go with it.
Yes I would love to know as well for sure.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You absolutely have to make sure that it's one male and one female if you intend to keep 2. Males will fight and sometimes to the death.

I love mandarins too but they're kinda dumb *****. I've seen them swim into anemones and corals and get stung and killed. I've also seen pods crawling right in front of their faces and they'll be completely oblivious to the pods.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back