My Hammer Coral has retracted - any tips??

Raise_the_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our hammer coral retracted all of its polyps about two weeks ago and it's skeleton is fully exposed now.

There are a few other hammers in the tank - most of which are well and thriving, so I'm not sure that it's has to do with the tank itself?

We've already dipped it and nothing came out, however we did the same with another hammer from the same tank and a flatworm came out. Possibly there's a flatworm in this one too but it's stuck inside?

Just fed it with coral food a minute ago and it is holding onto that very well... Hoping this might coax its polyps out.

If anyone has any advice on how to help revive this little guy it would be greatly appreciated!

PXL_20230319_155223090.jpg PXL_20230319_155136026.jpg PXL_20230319_155128131.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks like a brand new tank, how old is it? the hammer is almost gone. What is the lighting and flow. Tank pic always helps, test parameters...

Upvote 0

Hasan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its permanently gone sorry. When buying a hammer, look at the meat on the bottom. Generally the thicker and larger it is, the healthier it is. Do not put it in the tank without using flatworm medicine separately for 30-45 minutes after dipping. So you have to do a 3 step cleaning. For example dipping 5min for aquaforest after that 30min flatworm after 30 min relaxation and all water should be your tank water. Especially when cleaning the flatworm, you should hold the coral by the skeletal part with tweezers and shake it carefully. Don't touch the meaty part. If the coral is pulling out, something is going wrong. Check your water parameters right away, then comes the current and light. The way to be sure is to copy the light settings of a decent tank the same. You can turn off the stream until you understand the problem. Hammers can handle it with a head engine.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back