My Heteractis Magnifica (Ritteri Anemone) Journey

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have an update and I apologize for the delay.

As mentioned the anemone had moved to the top corner of the tank and was turning very white due to it receiving no light. Since it was on the glass I figured I had a good chance of moving it without damaging it and I had to or it would perish. I was told that sometimes these anemones move and they get into a place where they can't find how to get back to a better place if that makes sense.

Anyway I used an R2R Member Discount card :)D) and I got underneath the foot and slowly lifted it off the glass. It actually went very smooth once I got underneath a part of the foot and the anemone let go once I did this.

I replaced the anemone under the light and it looked worse than I thought color wise and I knew that I made the right decision. It was still big and fat but was very very white. Today it is back to full color and 16 months after adding my magnifica to the tank he is very healthy and loving life!

I will get an updated video soon.

That's great! I can't wait to see the video!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update: The anemone is still doing great! It actually started shrinking and I think it was due to not enough feeding. I have stepped up the feeding and it seems to be gaining size again. Does this sound about right?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update: The anemone is still doing great! It actually started shrinking and I think it was due to not enough feeding. I have stepped up the feeding and it seems to be gaining size again. Does this sound about right?

Yep it sounds right Rev... I know there are people who say you don't need to feed but I have found your anemeone will be bigger, grow faster and be more happy with little bits of food and allot of them will shrink over time with no food.
I am happy your is doing well, they are not the easiest anemone to keep...

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a Mag in my 140 cube on a tower of his own, he quickly floated into a WP40 (doh!) but then I put him in a nem basket and fed him and gave him gobs of light, and he healed right up. Popped him back on the rock and he hunkered down and my female clown has made it her home (kind of).

The folks above who mentioned that shrimp are dangerous were right, my cleaner shrimp will crawl completely into the nem and try to rip food from its mouth. it takes me 30 minutes to feed it since I have to be on shrimp patrol the entire time. I wish the clownfish would man up and handle it.

Mine does inflate a bit more at night and then is a bit more compact during the day. It is under an 8 bulb powermodule though, so I figure it might just need time to adjust to the light.

I hope that yours is doing well still, I love mine!

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting on that update video :wink: I just picked one up from a buddy who was taking down his tank...I am in love! I've been on him about buying it off him for a few years now and finally got it...I cleared out my Nuvo 38 and dedicated it to a nem tank...here is a bad iPhone pic I relly need to break out the DSLR for this.
image.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will update as soon as I can get some new photos!

lluv24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the nem stay put after u moved him back on the rock? Just curious because mine is doing the same thing;-(

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The anemone is still living but is very small now! :( It will eat and looks healthy except it's literally the size of a baseball when it was the size of a volleyball.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.0%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 35.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back