My Heteractis Magnifica (Ritteri Anemone) Journey

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ok you just got it, its after a week you should be alarmed by the mouth. It should start to close up soon

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Magnificas are one of the hardest anemones to keep. The hardest thing is getting a hardy one. Allot even though they appear in good shape will have a damaged foot from collecting. They prefer to live on rocks and are hard to collect without damaging the foot. This is one reason I feel only those willing to give them the best care should keep them. Too many die to get that one good anemone that lives.

They require high light and medium to high back and forth motion flow. They require perfect water parameters. They also require large tanks because they grow huge. They also do better in tanks that are dedicated to them. They will wander for a while in most cases several days after being added to the tank. The best set up is to have a pile of rock high in the middle of the tank. Also magnificas do not play well with other anemones and can wander. They are not as sticky as carpet anemones. They benefit from 2 to 3 feedings a week of shrimp or fish.

If they are shipped they usually come deflated looking really stressed out with their mouth open. Place them in good flow so they can purge themselves and in a few hours they should start to recover and look better.
I agree cover the votech .

They are beautiful anemones and can last a long time given proper care. They can even split like a bta.

Last edited:

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnificas dont like rock piles they pretty much like to only attach to flat surfacres.

Magnificas are colonial anemones. They can be found in large groups or singulary. I have kept magnificas with other anemones with no ill affects but you cant do it in a 20 gallon tank it has tobe 45 or bigger.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Magnificas dont like rock piles they pretty much like to only attach to flat surfacres.

You are right they like a flat surface to actually attach too.. Maybe a pile was the wrong wording but they like to be high in the middle of tank.

Magnificas are colonial anemones. They can be found in large groups or singulary. I have kept magnificas with other anemones with no ill affects but you cant do it in a 20 gallon tank it has tobe 45 or bigger.

Colonial with other magnificas not other anemones.

Last edited:

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be in a tank with another anemone but they will not colonize like this
DSCF0322.jpg

DSCF0223.jpg

DSCF0178.jpg

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the information. I will be following along. I have heard they can be difficult to keep. I probably won't get one unless someone locally is selling an established one.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your ok you just got it, its after a week you should be alarmed by the mouth. It should start to close up soon

Mouth is closed tight today. :)

very exciting Rev!! Congrats!!! :clap2:

Thank you!

Congrats Rev, look foward to seeing some pictures

Thanks!

Magnificas are one of the hardest anemones to keep. The hardest thing is getting a hardy one. Allot even though they appear in good shape will have a damaged foot from collecting. They prefer to live on rocks and are hard to collect without damaging the foot. This is one reason I feel only those willing to give them the best care should keep them. Too many die to get that one good anemone that lives.

They require high light and medium to high back and forth motion flow. They require perfect water parameters. They also require large tanks because they grow huge. They also do better in tanks that are dedicated to them. They will wander for a while in most cases several days after being added to the tank. The best set up is to have a pile of rock high in the middle of the tank. Also magnificas do not play well with other anemones and can wander. They are not as sticky as carpet anemones. They benefit from 2 to 3 feedings a week of shrimp or fish.

If they are shipped they usually come deflated looking really stressed out with their mouth open. Place them in good flow so they can purge themselves and in a few hours they should start to recover and look better.
I agree cover the votech .

They are beautiful anemones and can last a long time given proper care. They can even split like a bta.

This one looked awesome in the bag. Never was deflated and hasn't been yet. I did not see it ball up last night but this morning it has closed up to about half. Today it is fat and beautiful with the mouth closed.

I am going to get some pics in a minute. :)

Oh the clowns left everything and have not left the anemone one time since I added it yesterday! LOL! It is honestly like they are on a drug fix or something. :D

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a quick pic using auto settings.

nem.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks!

That is actually just the one big one! LOL!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well there is a RBTA in the lower left corner. But all that in the middle is one big one. :) It is conformed to the rock so the back goes up a little higher.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No it is all one! LOL! I have video about to be done uploading. :D

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back