My Honest Opinion About The Alkatronic

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and as far as the Apex, it should allow you to choose the first calibration solution when calibrating. You want 7 for the "low" calibration number. Do the appropriate button in the alkatronic app. the display on the alkatronic should show you what it's doing.

I use a PM1, but I don't know of any reason why the ORP probe shouldn't work. Are you looking at the base_ph2 number? Do you have base_ph2 enabled and base_orp disabled?

Christopher Presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my mistake, yes I meant .5. I have done my last and final calibration, it seems slightly better but still high. I’m not new to calibration and graduated cylinders, I use them everyday at work to run test. Only thing I can come up with is my reagent was somehow mixed inaccurately or a faulty PH probe. I’ve checked calibration for accuracy and I am getting exactly 10 and 50.

Christopher Presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orp was switched to ph and is setup correctly, I had it still setup for orp initially. Still 1dkh higher though.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my mistake, yes I meant .5. I have done my last and final calibration, it seems slightly better but still high. I’m not new to calibration and graduated cylinders, I use them everyday at work to run test. Only thing I can come up with is my reagent was somehow mixed inaccurately or a faulty PH probe. I’ve checked calibration for accuracy and I am getting exactly 10 and 50.

I believe in the manual there is a way for you to test your mix as well

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 and 50 is great. did you test the ph calibration too? that can rule out a ph probe. What is high now? the test result or the apex display? both are live-with-able if you are only concerned about trends and know what your baseline is. Both are likely fixable, too.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orp was switched to ph and is setup correctly, I had it still setup for orp initially. Still 1dkh higher though.
I'd contact Neptune as I doubt the alkatronic is outputting anything except the actual value. There was a bug at some point that if your dKH was around 8.5-8.6 that it'd not output the correct number until it fell outside that range, but not sure if it's fixed yet. You can contact focustronic on facebook too for help

Christopher Presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after several “calibrations” apex is reading close enough to alkatronic. Although alkatronic is still reading just about 1dkh higher than my Hanna and Red Sea test. Also it appears I can’t set the low reference point greater than 9? Why is that.

Christopher Presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be great if you could put a bias on the end result of the alkatronic. This current situation wouldn’t be an issue then. I’m consistently getting 1.1-1.2 dkh above my other test. So I could put a -1.1 bias in and it would be on the money.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and contact Jonas on facebook. he'll probably know why it's reading differently than what you expect.

Christopher Presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok talked to Eric I believe, I found the baseline and am using that now. But what about the max of 9 on the lower limit? Seems odd to have a cap at all especially since there’s many people that run above 9. He said he’ll get back to me about it.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was unaware of the lower limit cap. seems easily fixed. You could potentially mitigate that by using the offset and keeping the low limit at 9, to "trick" it into thinking the alk was lower than it is.

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much fluctuation do you guys allow your tank a day? I am seeing a .17 dkh swing throughout the day wondering if that is anything to really worry about?

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's about what mine is, i don't worry about it. The way I see it, if I was to get it any more stable, I'd have to vary my carx during the day and that isn't happening. Might be easier to get a flatter curve with kalk, but that's not how i roll

Kann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's about what mine is, i don't worry about it. The way I see it, if I was to get it any more stable, I'd have to vary my carx during the day and that isn't happening. Might be easier to get a flatter curve with kalk, but that's not how i roll

You control your CO2 with your Alkatronic, correct? Does the CO2 turn off when your Alkatronic test gets to a certain level? How often do you test? If I understand it correctly, once the Alkalinity tests above a certain level the CO2 turns off and needs to wait until another test below the threshold before it turns back on. Is that correct?

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all my alkatronic can do is control my alk from going too high by shutting off the co2. I suppose i could fiddle around with the bubble rates and effluent rate a bit to see if I could get the curve even more flat, but .1dkh to .2dkh change over the course of 24 hours is nothing i care that much to mess with. the ph of the reactor is super flat at the moment, so i attribute the dkh change to just the daily swing of uptake from the corals.

i test every 4 hours at the moment. been meaning to move to 6. When the alkatronic tests high or low, it usually runs tests much more frequently, no matter the schedule (i can't remember the offset at the moment.. maybe hourly?) until it's back in the "comfort zone." You are correct in that the co2 won't turn back on unless i manually tell the apex to do it or if the alk is back into a safe range.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got the quiet fix all installed and I will say it is sooooooo quiet that I wonder if it is even testing. Alkatronic is hands down the best purchase I have ever made outside of the necessity items. Who cares about the other units when the Alkatronic rocks so much.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You control your CO2 with your Alkatronic, correct? Does the CO2 turn off when your Alkatronic test gets to a certain level? How often do you test? If I understand it correctly, once the Alkalinity tests above a certain level the CO2 turns off and needs to wait until another test below the threshold before it turns back on. Is that correct?

I’d say that’s not an issue at all. I also do not think you’ll be able to get it completely level either. If the Alkatronic told me that it was the same after measuring I’d question its accuracy.

Christopher Presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dis you buy the 10ft? I bought this very cable and I’m having trouble getting numbers remotely close on the apex. I was told it might be because the cable is too long.

Yes that is the one I purchased. My numbers are good in my Apex. I recently moved my Alkatronic so i am getting a shorter cable (the 3ft one).

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 175 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back