My IM Nuvo 20g Build

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s been about 15 years since I’ve had a saltwater tank and I just bit the bullet to get back into it and bought the IM Nuvo 20. My last setup was pieces together from mostly used parts and a diy sump. It was definitely not aesthetically pleasing outside of the contents of the tank. Now with a much better job and a nicer living situation I’ve decided to get back into it with the focus of making the whole setup look very clean and fit in with the rest of my house.

I figured I might as well start a build thread and keep updating it as more parts come in and this project progresses.

As of right now here’s my equipment list:

Tank: IM Nuvo 20 gallon
Flow: IM MightyJet 326gph & 2 RFG Nozzles
Filtration: 2x IM caddy w/ floss/chemipure nano and floss/rowaphos/carbon
Fuge: InTank fuge basket
Fuge light: IM ChaetoMax
Light: AI Hydra 32
Heater: Cobalt 75w Neotherm w/ InkBird
ATO: JBJ Nano ATO
ATO Res: Trigger Systems 5 gal res
Aquascape: Marco rock, GlueMasters thin super glue and crushed rock powder
Substrate: CaribSea Fiji Pink
Water: Red Sea w/ RODI from LFS

Needs list (still looking for recommendations here):
Skimmer: ?
Media Reactor: do I need one?

Livestock:
Clownfish pair
Cleanup crew (nassarius, cerith, trochus, hermits)
Frogspawn

Future:
Watchman Goby/Pistol shrimp
Clown goby
Neon goby
Euphyllia (1 hammer/frogspawn island and 1 torch island)

Last edited:

jaren45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great choice on the tank, I love mine. For the heater, whatever you pick id split it between 2 50w heaters hooked up to 1 controller, I use an inkbird. This'll prevent any overheating failures for good.

Salt and test kits are all very opinion based. I use aquaforest test kits and reef crystals because it's what my lfs sells cheap and they work for me.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to the caddies no reactor needed. Aquascape is just rocks and sand. You might want to do a NSA. BRS has a video on it. They also had an ISA last night. I might try to combine the 2 personally for mine. For salt, get whatever has the parameters you want to keep. Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals are cheap but their Alk can be on the high side. I used the cheapest one to cycle my rocks because nothing else matters. If you build an NSA, put it in the tank with no sand or light. Just a heater and powerhead and cover it all up. Put a plastic lid on and cardboard all around it. I used XLM and ghost fed my rocks. I didn't have much of an ugly stage and was growing corrals with in a month of setting up the tank after cycling my dry marco reefsaver rock in a Brute for 4 months.
Good Luck and keep us updated.

OP
OP
Saluki2003

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to the caddies no reactor needed. Aquascape is just rocks and sand. You might want to do a NSA. BRS has a video on it. They also had an ISA last night. I might try to combine the 2 personally for mine. For salt, get whatever has the parameters you want to keep. Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals are cheap but their Alk can be on the high side. I used the cheapest one to cycle my rocks because nothing else matters. If you build an NSA, put it in the tank with no sand or light. Just a heater and powerhead and cover it all up. Put a plastic lid on and cardboard all around it. I used XLM and ghost fed my rocks. I didn't have much of an ugly stage and was growing corrals with in a month of setting up the tank after cycling my dry marco reefsaver rock in a Brute for 4 months.
Good Luck and keep us updated.
I just watched that NSA video from BRS...I’m now searching through pictures looking for inspiration. Also thinking of propping the rocks up on some pieces of acrylic rod to give the pistol shrimp room to do his thing without worrying about rocks collapsing on him or the WG.

Thanks for the advice on cycling...I’ll take a look at that method.

OP
OP
Saluki2003

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great choice on the tank, I love mine. For the heater, whatever you pick id split it between 2 50w heaters hooked up to 1 controller, I use an inkbird. This'll prevent any overheating failures for good.

Salt and test kits are all very opinion based. I use aquaforest test kits and reef crystals because it's what my lfs sells cheap and they work for me.
Thanks for the heads up on the 2 heaters and a controller. For salt and test kits I’ll get what my LFS has.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched that NSA video from BRS...I’m now searching through pictures looking for inspiration. Also thinking of propping the rocks up on some pieces of acrylic rod to give the pistol shrimp room to do his thing without worrying about rocks collapsing on him or the WG.

Thanks for the advice on cycling...I’ll take a look at that method.
I am thinking about the ISA as a base, place for fish to hide and the pistol shrimp would be there, and then more NSA above that. The ISA was on their Live stream at the very end last night. That is the only reason I will do a NSA. More places to hide a=makes the fish come out more.
The long cycle in a brute allows the bacteria to build up. It doesn't need light, just heat, flow and food. Next time I am going to add MacrBacter 7 and Clean as well. The longer the rock "cooks" the better. Dry rock is hard to begin with but I had little to no real problems. The main thing is to take it all slow.

OP
OP
Saluki2003

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank showed up yesterday.....the box looked like it went through a war zone! I looked the tank over and don’t see any damage.

Attachments

• 92E3F239-AC60-4E9C-9D3F-E41389B048F1.jpeg
    92E3F239-AC60-4E9C-9D3F-E41389B048F1.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 75
  • 4D3BB425-F25E-4340-A0E8-493480C79364.jpeg
    4D3BB425-F25E-4340-A0E8-493480C79364.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 7B605BF9-15A2-4B86-8176-CD60A0DA0BEE.jpeg
    7B605BF9-15A2-4B86-8176-CD60A0DA0BEE.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 77

AdamBWS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank showed up yesterday.....the box looked like it went through a war zone! I looked the tank over and don’t see any damage.
That's hilarious!
Glad there wasn't any actual damage.

I've got an SPS heavy Nuvo 20. The Nuvoskim DC skimmer has worked very well for me. It's very different from the ghost skimmer that everyone hates. Probably the cleanest and best integrated skimmer for the Nuvo 20's.

That said, I'd recommend waiting a few months until your tank is more established before you determine if you need a skimmer. You might be able to keep your nutrient levels in check with just water changes. I waited about 9 months to get mine.

OP
OP
Saluki2003

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's hilarious!
Glad there wasn't any actual damage.

I've got an SPS heavy Nuvo 20. The Nuvoskim DC skimmer has worked very well for me. It's very different from the ghost skimmer that everyone hates. Probably the cleanest and best integrated skimmer for the Nuvo 20's.

That said, I'd recommend waiting a few months until your tank is more established before you determine if you need a skimmer. You might be able to keep your nutrient levels in check with just water changes. I waited about 9 months to get mine.
I’ll check that skimmer out. I’m not gonna rush this build. I bought a bunch of dry live rock and now I’m waiting for my E-Marco mortar to get here and I’ll start putting together the aquascape.

build_wall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have and love this tank! As to your question about whether a reactor is necessary, I'd wait and decide. While I have the desktop version from IM, I find myself not needing to use it very often unless i notice po4 creeping up. Steady weekly 20% wc's are a breeze in this tank and seem to take care of most nutrient issues. Good luck!

OP
OP
Saluki2003

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about the ISA as a base, place for fish to hide and the pistol shrimp would be there, and then more NSA above that. The ISA was on their Live stream at the very end last night. That is the only reason I will do a NSA. More places to hide a=makes the fish come out more.
The long cycle in a brute allows the bacteria to build up. It doesn't need light, just heat, flow and food. Next time I am going to add MacrBacter 7 and Clean as well. The longer the rock "cooks" the better. Dry rock is hard to begin with but I had little to no real problems. The main thing is to take it all slow.
Do you have a link to that ISA livestream. I couldn’t find it.

OP
OP
Saluki2003

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of going with this light...opinions?

gaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the lighting, I don’t have any experience with that particular one, but holy cow that’s expensive. I think with your stocking list, the anemone is going to be the that needs the most light (unless you plan on doing a bunch of sps) so I would recommend AI prime hd. I have one on my nuvo 20 with a BTA and everything’s happy. It’s super controllable and gives off strong light. If need be, you can get two and it’ll still be cheaper than the ethereal fixture, with comparable wattage. Of course, the ethereal fixture has glowing reviews, so its ultimately preference- your choice. (Just my two cents)

As for the heater, I have the Aqueon 100 watt adjustable heater. It hasn’t failed me yet coming up on two years. I think it’s the best bang for your buck. Also the cobalt neo therm might be a good option.

have fun with the build and I can’t wait to see it progresses

*edit spelling

OP
OP
Saluki2003

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I went with the AI Hydra 32 and currently only running some blues and moon light. I’ll switch to a preset program once I add corals.

I added an inkbird controller to the heater and a JBJ ATO with a Trigger 5g reservoir.

I cycled the tank with live sand and Brightwell mactibacter start XLM and added a pair of clowns and some cleanup crew.

Back