Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it today?
Hey Bud! Thanks for asking.... looks like normal. Took this pic literally 15 min ago

1588548531160.png

Benjay221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I have just joined the club. I bought a mag off a local reefer who had it for 1+ year in his tank.

I have a rsr250 and run 2x Kessil A360X
I put him in right near the the top of the tank and the first night he crawled to the top so he’s literally touching the surface

There’s a ton of flow and the Kessils are 8” off the water and peak at 60%

Should I turn them up higher? Or wait to see if he moves backdown...

I also have a 4 bulb T5 aquatic life hybrid I could mount but it’s realy ugly and my acros and clams are thrivin under the Kessils alone...

Anyone else keeping mags under Kessils?

image.jpg

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Front and side view attached

B6B2DE87-E692-4294-9428-CF137059C3D6.jpeg 30EE824F-1853-4624-B535-E690C5059CFC.jpeg
Hey Bud! Welcome to the club.... a couple of things.

1. Mags are really, really, really light demanding. Did i mention they are light demanding? I dont think you will be remotely in the ball park with your current lighting setup. To be sure check your par... Not that i claim to be an expert AT ALL, but based on every bit of literature i could find, along with speaking /chatting with as many people as i could that have kept them successfully for years, 350- 500 par seems to be a sweet spot for them. The one i acquired a few months ago gets on average 380 par with peaks as high as 450. Just think of light requirements for high end sps as your ball park.

2. They tend to like daylight colored spectrum as opposed to the blue's we tend to run in our reef tanks.... my lights mimic 12-14k during peak of the afternoon and slowing ramp up/down into more blues in the early morning and evenings.

3. Very rarely a Mag move down... they will move to the highest structure they can find and setup shop there as long as the conditions are favorable. Lots of aquarist, myself included; will setup an island structure where the nem cannot sense any higher structure. That is the best way to keep them isolated and not finding there way to your prized coral or a power head

4. Lastly be sure to lookout for deflation.....if it deflates more than a couple of times in a day... you will have issues.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.

I have two Kessil A360X running at 100% (better shimmer effect and daylight spectrum near the Mag) along with 4 full size Orphek V4's set to 65 -70%

1588615655409.png

Last edited:

Benjay221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sdot thx so much for all the info!

Does it matter with Kessils what the color is? Isn’t the spectrum the same regardless with Kessils?

I’m definitely in the par sweet spot which is good.

(My tanks way smaller than yours only 54 gallons)

I’ll keep the thread posted with pics and updates.

Any other tips guys?

Should I throw on the 4 t5 hybrid fixture as well?

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bud! Thanks for asking.... looks like normal. Took this pic literally 15 min ago

1588548531160.png

Does it matter with Kessils what the color is? Isn’t the spectrum the same regardless with Kessils?

You know, Im not sure. Im aware that Kessils provide the appropriate spectrum, im not sure if changing the color changes the spectrum. I do know they gravitate towards yellowish/ white light over blue.

Nice!!

Cool...
Any other tips guys?
Other can keep an eye on it, as my understanding they grow really large.
If you believe you are achieving the necessary amount of par, then its completely optional.

You know, Im not sure. Im aware that Kessils provide the appropriate spectrum, im not sure if changing the color changes the spectrum. I do know they gravitate towards yellowish/ white light over blue.

Nice!!

Cool...
Any other tips guys?
Other can keep an eye on it, as my understanding they grow really large.
If you believe you are achieving the necessary amount of par, then its completely optional.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any other tips guys?

Just curious, how much par is it getting? I see its near the top of your aquarium.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1588548531160.png
Glad it's doing well.
Sometimes they do weird things in our systems.
Once they're acclimated, they are pretty steady inhabitants.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it's doing well.
Sometimes they do weird things in our systems.
Once they're acclimated, they are pretty steady inhabitants.
Thanks and thats good know. Interesting question for you, What type of lights do you use for your nem? Do you know how much par its receiving?

Thanks again.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I have just joined the club. I bought a mag off a local reefer who had it for 1+ year in his tank.

I have a rsr250 and run 2x Kessil A360X
I put him in right near the the top of the tank and the first night he crawled to the top so he’s literally touching the surface

There’s a ton of flow and the Kessils are 8” off the water and peak at 60%

Should I turn them up higher? Or wait to see if he moves backdown...

I also have a 4 bulb T5 aquatic life hybrid I could mount but it’s realy ugly and my acros and clams are thrivin under the Kessils alone...

Anyone else keeping mags under Kessils?

image.jpg

If the H.magnifica has been in captivity for a year, you probably dont have to worry too much about disease.
Try to mimic the lighting level the previous owner had it under.
I dont see why Kessil A360x's wont be able to keep an H.magnifica. If it can support SPS, (and it can), it can support an H.magnifica. I'll be keeping mine under one here shortly.
They will move to the most ideal conditions for them that they can find in their environment. This is where acquiring a "new" H.magnifica gets "interesting".

It can move into a powerhead, or let go of the rock it's on and drift into one. This doesnt go well for the anemone.
Temporary powerhead covers while acclimating the anemone to your system might not be a bad idea.

Watch how it does in your system. Moving to the top is usually a sign of wanting more light or more flow.
You're video doesnt work for me, so I cant see how much flow you have the anemone under.
I would wait and see what the anemone does. If it opens up wide and stretches for light, then you should increase the intensity from the Kessils.

If it's moving towards the current, it wants more current and you'll need to adjust your flow.

Hope that helps.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and thats good know. Interesting question for you, What type of lights do you use for your nem? Do you know how much par its receiving?

Thanks again.

Mine is currently at my friends house under a 250W 10K ushio MH.
When it was in my tanks, it was under MH's, and later under Radion G1's, that later upgraded (years later) to G3 clusters.
I will be keeping it under a single A360X in a 40 breeder.
I plan on adding additional lighting as time goes on and am looking hard at the Aquatic Life dimmable t-5 hybrid.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is currently at my friends house under a 250W 10K ushio MH.
When it was in my tanks, it was under MH's, and later under Radion G1's, that later upgraded (years later) to G3 clusters.
I will be keeping it under a single A360X in a 40 breeder.
I plan on adding additional lighting as time goes on and am looking hard at the Aquatic Life dimmable t-5 hybrid.
Nice.

Benjay221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Par is around 250-300 where he is sitting. Maybe I should add Aquatic Life T5 to bring up par?

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.... another update and a mini milestone:

After much research i decided to pull the trigger on a Purple Magnificent anemone from Aqua SD. March 7th, my journey with this amazing and very delicate animal began. Along with the challenge, i felt and continue to feel that i must do all in my power to ensure this animal not only survive, but thrive in my system. With that said in a couple of days, i will have reached the two month mark. I know for many that isn't a big deal, however knowing the abysmal survival rate of these animals, i consider everyday, week, month, and hopefully years a blessing. With that said here are some of the latest photos. These were taken about 5 minutes ago:

1588706764915.png

1588706861058.png

1588706889064.png

1588706819749.png

Just in case you where wondering what type of lights i have :cool::

1588706937839.png

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 months is a good milestone. You're pretty much out of the woods barring some sort of mechanical failure that crashes the tank or adding another anemone and introducing disease.

Has the anemone moved at all since you've placed it on that rock?

If not, all you're going to be looking for is the tentacle tips to brighten, the oral disc to darken, and the tentacles themselves to lengthen.

Good looking tank and good looking anemone.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back