My Mandarin Dragonette eats pellets and flakes!

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

Just wanted to share that I saw my Dragonette eating pellets and flakes from the bottom of the tank (bare bottom). I believe I have an established population of pods in the tank, but it's good to see it eating something other than pods. Just wanted to share that!

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey,

Just wanted to share that I saw my Dragonette eating pellets and flakes from the bottom of the tank (bare bottom). I believe I have an established population of pods in the tank, but it's good to see it eating something other than pods. Just wanted to share that!
That's great news for long term survivability. Too many horror stories abound regarding starving mandarins. This is a breath of fresh air. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great news for long term survivability. Too many horror stories abound regarding starving mandarins. This is a breath of fresh air. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! I wanted to add a red dragonette (I have a 2-3 inch green one) but don't want to disrupt whatever groove the green one is in. Thanks for the support!

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you! I wanted to add a red dragonette (I have a 2-3 inch green one) but don't want to disrupt whatever groove the green one is in. Thanks for the support!
Yeah, agree with you there. Personally, if it were me, I'd look at adding another mandarin (male or female depending on what you have already). Just make sure your system can sustain them, or look into culturing your own pods. It's super easy to do, but requires culturing phyto as-well (also super easy). In the long run, you will save a fortune.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey,

Once in a while you get lucky and this occurs. My red Mandarin love brine shrimp and fish eggs

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, agree with you there. Personally, if it were me, I'd look at adding another mandarin (male or female depending on what you have already). Just make sure your system can sustain them, or look into culturing your own pods. It's super easy to do, but requires culturing phyto as-well (also super easy). In the long run, you will save a fortune.
Not a bad idea. I only added 2 bags back in July into the hang on back Refugium. I have a 2.5 gallon tank that's not in use. Maybe I buy some rocks or something and culture them in there?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not a bad idea. I only added 2 bags back in July into the hang on back Refugium. I have a 2.5 gallon tank that's not in use. Maybe I buy some rocks or something and culture them in there?
No need for rocks in a culture. Just a small heater, air stone, and lots of phyto.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How exciting!!

I've been suspecting mine eating the BRS "Golden Oeark" oellets, but haven't seen it.

I've been worrying it isn't getting enough because I more recently see it go through gaps in hunting, and there are tons of isopods and amphipods it seems to skip over.

But its getting fat and has its fins open way more than it used to so I guess I am good.

Congratulations!!

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen people claim in posts they only use spirilina powder or whatever it's called for pods, and have been considering trying it.

I have too many kids to put the attention to detail required for phyto.

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen people claim in posts they only use spirilina powder or whatever it's called for pods, and have been considering trying it.

I have too many kids to put the attention to detail required for phyto.
Lol I first noticed it eating the reef roids stuck on the rocks after spot feeding the corals. I read somewhere that it's more likely they eat more than pods as they get bigger because their mouths are bigger. I'm not sure how much stock to put into that

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How exciting!!

I've been suspecting mine eating the BRS "Golden Oeark" oellets, but haven't seen it.

I've been worrying it isn't getting enough because I more recently see it go through gaps in hunting, and there are tons of isopods and amphipods it seems to skip over.

But its getting fat and has its fins open way more than it used to so I guess I am good.

Congratulations!!
Thanks! I wondered the same thing with mine until I saw what looked it stalking a rock then pounced on it haha. Good stuff to you as well!

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol I first noticed it eating the reef roids stuck on the rocks after spot feeding the corals. I read somewhere that it's more likely they eat more than pods as they get bigger because their mouths are bigger. I'm not sure how much stock to put into that
Some have also reported them munching on Masstick. All of my fish love the stuff:

Attachments

• 20230213_204007.jpg
    20230213_204007.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 23

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mandarin Dragonette pair also eat pellets, in addition to pecking for food all day. I feed 4 times a pay with an auto feeder, and they would grab a few pellets as they settle down to the bottom.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back