OP
Shabalaba

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does he eat?

I feed him frozen raw shellfish (mixture of oyster, shrimp, squid, and scallop) that I cut to size, thaw and soak in selcon. He inevitably takes out some CUC members over time, and I replenish their ranks 2-3 times per year. I use a mixture of different snails and hermits.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed him frozen raw shellfish (mixture of oyster, shrimp, squid, and scallop) that I cut to size, thaw and soak in selcon. He inevitably takes out some CUC members over time, and I replenish their ranks 2-3 times per year. I use a mixture of different snails and hermits.
I caught one that came as a hitchhiker on some Florida keys rock. I still hear something in that tank but for the life of me, can’t find it. I don’t think it’s a pistol cause they typically leave piles of sand at the base of the rock and I have never seen that. I’m convinced it’s another mantis but I’ve checked at all times of the day and night and never spotted it. I do know that any crustaceans I put in there disappear quickly. I wish I could find it.

OP
OP
Shabalaba

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep it from eating fish? That mantis is so cool

Thank you. Stomatopods with "smashing" raptorial appendages have evolved to be expert invertebrate hunters. Their natural prey selection will be things with a hard shell, and not typically things that swim about. However, it is important to note that they are very capable of capturing and killing a fish, but this is often only the case when their prey of preference is not available to them. I make sure to always have a decent amount of snails and hermits in the tank, and also feed him frozen raw shellfish 3-4 times a week.

I would note that the only time any sort of aggression is displayed towards the fish is late in the molt cycle when he is getting ready to shed his exoskeleton. He will give them a good stare down if they get too close, but it seems as if my fish are aware that he is moody, and typically steer clear. During this time i try to increase his feedings to help eliminate aggression.

OP
OP
Shabalaba

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught one that came as a hitchhiker on some Florida keys rock. I still hear something in that tank but for the life of me, can’t find it. I don’t think it’s a pistol cause they typically leave piles of sand at the base of the rock and I have never seen that. I’m convinced it’s another mantis but I’ve checked at all times of the day and night and never spotted it. I do know that any crustaceans I put in there disappear quickly. I wish I could find it.

A Neogonodactylus mantis that comes in on rock is usually quite small (small enough to hide in the rock rather than a burrow) and well camoflauged. Try putting a piece of raw shrimp on a skewer and slowly scan it across your rock to see if he makes an appearance, it should be almost irresistible.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back