My mantis shrimp home. Need input please

tonysearsjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for input on this idea of a mantis home. Tank is 36x16x16. From left to right: mantis area. Planning on a rack in back up high outta reach for shrooms to cover just for added color. Over into macro area/visible fuge. Under to bubble trap. Over to heat and return. For lighting thinking 36" t5x2. One bulb 10000 and other 6500. Not planning on skimmer less I find one that fits INSIDE. This is going to go under my tv that's mounted to wall so must be attractive. Lol. Don't wanna see any plumbing cords ect. Other than the light atop. Here's pics. Thanks for the input ahead of time
C8F08822-DC3E-4E6C-9110-63DEB793E386-2314-000002BC37218B4C.jpg

FA73AD1B-0CEE-43E5-ADA4-E05B33C01B6D-2314-000002BC9C978083.jpg

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly suggest against putting a tank under your tv. 1. Moisture, especially evaporation rises and may mess with your tv. Not to mention this is salt so you may get salt on/in your tv which is really not good. 2. I personally do not trust mounted tvs and it would be horrible if the tv fell onto your tank.

OP
OP
T

tonysearsjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh it's not just a point of sale tv mount. I built cabinet/shelf with drawers into the structure of the wall. I agree with you on trusting wall mounts. And with that cabinet no moisture or splash will get to tv. Good thought though

OP
OP
T

tonysearsjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also might should have added the holes on top will have lids that fit them tightly and gonna drill few holes for exchange.

OP
OP
T

tonysearsjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Species: Gonodactylaceus graphurus is what I wanted to start with. Look neat but hear this one is rare and hard to find

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on do not put under tv, at least not without some type of dryer vent type thing plumbed into it to suck out the moisture...that will no doubt be a mistake.

As for design, the thing you must think of is aesthetics. Unless you like showing off your equipment of course. If I was designing this tank for somebody who wanted a Tv/aquarium display I would not want to expose the pump/heater.

The layout also concerns me, as the bubble trap may act as a bubble machine with the waterfall pre-return pump. The way a bubble trap works is the middle suspended baffle is out of the water, and the ones connected to the bottom are usually underwater. the middle baffle keeps the bubbles from passing through since they rise, at the end of the trap you should have no level drop, and if you do it should be at an angle, so there is no splashing. maybe rethink the trap, put it before the fuge even... bubbles in my chaeto increase buoyancy, thus making easier to flip around in the current. as for the return section, I would do the baffle in a corner rather than inline...that way you cannot see the "junk in the trunk"

OP
OP
T

tonysearsjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thoughts there Tyler I'll redraw and post new pic. Stuck on the under tv idea tho if ima have a mantis tank I gotta see it from the couch. Lol. Ol' lady don't want them all over house and finally got her to settle for that so duct work be the way to go. Directly behind that wall is my staircase so I have room to get rid of excess moisture

OP
OP
T

tonysearsjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colors I've seen on google search and a website I don't remember. Think I saved it on computer but net only on phone now. More after the bright green colored body and the orange reds purples in the face. Give you an idea what I'm after? Any other that you know of that are colorful like them?

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odontodactylus scyllarus is scary sick looking. I would get that one if i had room for a 9th aquarium, or should i say when i find another acrylic one! The girlfriend has the only one occupado atm haha

OP
OP
T

tonysearsjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.... I have google sketch up 8 the free version not the pro. Don't get it there's very little differance other than ur able to share a 3d with movement they call the ones u share 2d. Check it out it's fun. Just a bit to get use to the features.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peacock has amazing colors in it (Odontodactylus scyllarus) it always amazes me how bright he is everytime i look at him.

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok...the overflow from the left chamber (Mantis layer) to the Fuge has a box around it...why? It seems like you could just skip that piece and let it straight overflow into the fuge, also helping to churn your macros. just a thought.

p.s. I have AUTOCAD student edition if you want...full box set, its from 1994, but I was born in '87 and im still fine, the program weighs a ton it 2 massive books.

OP
OP
T

tonysearsjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to lean that way myself just any mantis seems hard to find other than reefs2go. They have one but it sounds like they are a small species that doesn't get but 3-4". I was hoping to get one at that size but have it grow to around 6" or so.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 69 74.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back