OP
OP
ReefMP

ReefMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has recovered from the 9 day power outage we experienced the end of October. Most of the dead corals have been cut and removed...on the good side, the corals are coloring up again and there is a little more room for them to grow again.

Here's a short video, it was recorded with my Samsung Galaxy SII so not the best quality but not bad for a phone.

Note: Watch vid in HD (720P) if possible. Also, ignore the power cord at 1:45, every thing still not back in it's correct place yet :)

Last edited:

westreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:beauty:Very nice. I just love it. I didn't see any sign of damage. Great recovery!!!

OP
OP
ReefMP

ReefMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few new pics...

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great recovery... Beautiful tank. Thanks for sharing those amazing pics!

OP
OP
ReefMP

ReefMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great recovery... Beautiful tank. Thanks for sharing those amazing pics!
Thank you, given the condition the tank was in for so long with cold, stagnant water and no lights, I'm very surprised and happy with the recovery. Your tank is one of my favorites... I keep going back and forth on setting up a larger tank when I move (if we could sell our house soon), if I do I'll definitely be stealing some of your ideas.

a rather nice setup with good eye flow!
Thank you

Awesome tank. Just beautiful.
Thank you

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the tank survive 9 days like that? Im glad that the clam made it most of all, they are hard to come by that large. Beautiful tank

OP
OP
ReefMP

ReefMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the tank survive 9 days like that? Im glad that the clam made it most of all, they are hard to come by that large. Beautiful tank
Not easy...I pretty much worked storm restoration all days and stayed up all nights boiling water from the tank then slowly mixing it back into the tank. I didn't want to use metal, so I used a glass bowl....on the 3rd night after getting tired of the process, I decided to warm up the water a bit more to save time.....the bowl shattered into a million pieces all over our kitchen :bigsmile:....long nights

I ran a power inverter from my car and alternate a heater and 2 power heads. For oxygen I ran a few battery operated air stones, but this also lowered the temp, the tank was 54 for days. I think it was day 4 or 5 I was able to run a generator.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my ac go out here last summer and my tank stayed between 85 at night and 93 during the day for a month. All I lost was a red and green encrusting montipora. It didn't die until after the ac was fixed. It bleach out quick. Corals are a lot strong than some people think. It is fast changes that kill them IME.

OP
OP
ReefMP

ReefMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, looks like I'm getting out of the hobby for a while. Our house is on the market and so far everyone wants the tank. We accepted an offer...but they wouldn't buy the house without the tank so I'm leaving it....maybe someday I'll get back into it.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh that sucks, but I'm sure you won't be gone long, people can't keep away long when the addiction is on them.

Happy to help via Tapatalk:)

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that the buyer knows what they are doing, that's sad, I hope you find a good deal on a new set up.

OP
OP
ReefMP

ReefMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh that sucks, but I'm sure you won't be gone long, people can't keep away long when the addiction is on them.

Happy to help via Tapatalk:)

Thanks, maybe someday when we're all settled in our new home.

I hope that the buyer knows what they are doing, that's sad, I hope you find a good deal on a new set up.

They have no experience with saltwater/reef tanks. I'll offer to get them up to speed, hopefully that's enough.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater runs threw your veins so I bet you will find away soon to at least have a nano. Hate to see such a artist go but will be glad to see you return. Life just gets in the way of dreams sometime. But you can still share your knowledge with us and keep up to date so when you do come back you can hit the floor running. Lol

OP
OP
ReefMP

ReefMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater runs threw your veins so I bet you will find away soon to at least have a nano. Hate to see such a artist go but will be glad to see you return. Life just gets in the way of dreams sometime. But you can still share your knowledge with us and keep up to date so when you do come back you can hit the floor running. Lol

LoL. This is the 2nd time I'm leaving a tank behind. The last time I got out I moved out of state and never even looked at an aquarium picture for years...until my son was born and we started browsing "nemo" pics online. I came across SonnyX's 225 on RC and I was hooked again:) Sonny's current tank is great and so was his previous, but his old 225 is still my favorite. I'm sure I'll be back someday.

OP
OP
ReefMP

ReefMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been almost a month since I left the tank behind with the new owners of our home. We do think of it from time to time but don't miss it as much as I thought we would, probably because we're so busy making the new home our own and I'm so busy with work. With all the packing I forgot to take some last pics the night before we left.....these are a few months old but the last I have of my tank, the colonies are even larger now. Thanks for all the help and positive feedback along the way....maybe someday I'll be back. Good luck with your tanks.

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

Back