OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LRT @TriggerFinger VDM is indeed Valentine’s Day Massacre.

@LRT if your tank budget allows it, get an algae scrubber. Much easier way to keep invasive algaes under control.
I've been seriously considering algae scrubber! Right now I've rigged up a rack hoping it would continue to grow on rack in sump. No luck! Need algae light. And to probably build a small reservoir or something to put it all in. Would be super easy and I probably have everything I need minus the light.
20210214_102720.jpg

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big ups to @Reefer1978 for chiming in with VDM name clarification. Its too bad name is taken because it is fitting especially on today's occasion.
These are super similar shrooms but mine is throwing blues and greens.
Picture of baby I traded before it started throwing the blue streaks im gonna try and get her back or at least a baby if she throws one.
I do have another baby but not throwing any colors yet and this baby I traded was born with the purple streaks! Just have to see i guess.
20210214_110351.jpg

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been seriously considering algae scrubber! Right now I've rigged up a rack hoping it would continue to grow on rack in sump. No luck! Need algae light. And to probably build a small reservoir or something to put it all in. Would be super easy and I probably have everything I need minus the light.
20210214_102720.jpg
if you're looking to purchase a scrubber, look at the SantaMonica SURF series.
it floats in the tank/sump. easy cleaning/harvesting of algae. love mine.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're looking to purchase a scrubber, look at the SantaMonica SURF series.
it floats in the tank/sump. easy cleaning/harvesting of algae. love mine.
Must have been reading my mind getting ready to head out and get some parts to make a legit turf algae scrubber. For now I have an old black box with blue channel burned out in going to be growing some serious algae within the next week:D
I'll post up what I build.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright its going down. Got what I need to go full crazy with algae turf scrubber!
For now-
Hang old reef raidence black box over reservoir. Blues burnt out anyway. Still pushes some good white, green and red light though.
Look into some actual sump leds in meantime. If needed.
Plan is use overflow water, through drain over knitting mesh on over flow side.
I'm yanking out the UV Sterilizer. Think im wasting time with it anyhow.
And hooking that pump up with additional turf scrubber on opposite side.
If all I have to eventually do is yank out screens and clean them thats a No Brainer idk why @Reefer1978 hasn't talked me into that yet:D
Here's the rough sketch plan on building it tonight. Using only aquarium silicone for all connections. Let it dry and hook it all up tomorrow!
20210215_110241.jpg

P.S
Really have to get a pretty set up this gets more ghetto everytime I look at it haha. Fully functional tho;)

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red lights :cool:
Yeah pretty much the route I'm going.
Real plan is yank the 100 gallon res out of storage and dedicate that entirely to algae turf scrubbing with red sump lights. Dont know if I want to do that now or wait until I build the wife's DT or more tables.
I have all this awesome ocean rock I want to see what I can do with reef lights on it for now.
Id reckon red lights would grow nasties all over it?

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah pretty much the route I'm going.
Real plan is yank the 100 gallon res out of storage and dedicate that entirely to algae turf scrubbing with red sump lights. Dont know if I want to do that now or wait until I build the wife's DT or more tables.
I have all this awesome ocean rock I want to see what I can do with reef lights on it for now.
Id reckon red lights would grow nasties all over it?
probably.
all my scrubber has is red lights. I named it Roxanne. :cool:

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know you have a reefing problem when you text your wife and ask how her day is going and she responds with this:D
24995.jpeg
24993.jpeg
I got pics along those lines yesterday. my two leopard wrasses are rarely out all day, and usually go in to hiding before she gets home from work. she was very happy to see them yesterday and sent off pics to me while I was at the dentist. :)

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got pics along those lines yesterday. my two leopard wrasses are rarely out all day, and usually go in to hiding before she gets home from work. she was very happy to see them yesterday and sent off pics to me while I was at the dentist. :)
Thats awesome man. She will usually call and then end up on video call so I can see how things are going.
Today she skipped all that because she knew my next text was going to be im glad your day is going good babe.
BUT how does the mushroom garden look;) hahahahaha

Last edited:

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've done a very bad bad thing.....

Everytime I look at your thread and all of your shrooms I think to myself I NEED ANOTHER ONE!!! Yes ALL your fault hahah

Well I came across a natural split hobbit bounce baby that I couldn't pass up and it will be here tomorrow ;Dead ;Hilarious;Wacky thank you for being my personal mushroom enabler;Drool:cool:;Playful;Cyclops;Happy
Screenshot_20210216-081633_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a very bad bad thing.....

Everytime I look at your thread and all of your shrooms I think to myself I NEED ANOTHER ONE!!! Yes ALL your fault hahah

Well I came across a natural split hobbit bounce baby that I couldn't pass up and it will be here tomorrow ;Dead ;Hilarious;Wacky thank you for being my personal mushroom enabler;Drool:cool:;Playful;Cyclops;Happy
Screenshot_20210216-081633_Gallery.jpg
Dude I'm totally jealous you know that would be mine if you told me about it:D
Dang I gotta be on my toes lol

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude I'm totally jealous you know that would be mine if you told me about it:D
Dang I gotta be on my toes lol
Do you have an Instagram? That's where all the goodies are!

The guy who has this actually has a bigger one available :oops:

Check out hookedreefer.com he has crazy stuff!!
Screenshot_20210216-163048_Instagram.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back