My nano-journey

jolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I have finally dived into the reefing-hobby. I have had aquariums before, but never saltwater. So, this is going to be challenging and fun.

My equipment:
- Waterbox CUBE 10
- Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9001
- Fluval Nano Marine Led 20W 12.7x12.7cm
- Live rock approximately 5kg
- Aquael heater platinium 50w
- Aquaforest reef salt
- Aqua Medic Bali Sand
- Hugo Hydrometer 20cm
- Aquaforest Bio S

All of this where purchased at 26/09

IMG_1555.jpeg

On 27/09 I filled the tank with sand and rock. I did add one more small rock at the back right of the tank.

IMG_1561.jpeg

On 28/09 I filled the tank with water. I measured the salinity to be a little high. I got this adjusted and it should be correct now. It’s within the green area on my hydrometer.

IMG_1588.jpeg

I am a very unpatient person, so I tried to measure the ammonia already 03/10. I used the coloringpalette, and it did not look 100% clear to me. Waiting over the weekend to check again. I am putting one drop og Aquaforest Bio S everyday for 14 days. At 14 days I will get my water testet at the local aquariumshop.

With time I am hopeful that I can get some snails, a hermit, crab and a pair of clownfish, and maybe a goby. But not all at the same time. I think I am going to start off with a couple of snails, and go from there.

I will keep you posted.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velkommen til Reef2Reef! :) Looks like you're off to a good start!

As long as you can admit to yourself that you are very impatient, you also know that you are your own worse enemy ;) If I tell you to switch off your light and leave the tank for three months before doing anything, you'll jump on a flight from Oslo to Glasgow to stab me - so I'm not gonna suggest that..

Are you adding any bacteria to cycle the tank? Dr Tims etc.?

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Try moving those rock around a little. You'll be surprised what at the formations you can make.
Patience is key. I almost need another hobby just to keep me from tinkering with my tank, haha

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! That’s a great looking tank so far! It’s hard to be patient, but it will pay off!

OP
OP
J

jolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velkommen til Reef2Reef! :) Looks like you're off to a good start!

As long as you can admit to yourself that you are very impatient, you also know that you are your own worse enemy ;) If I tell you to switch off your light and leave the tank for three months before doing anything, you'll jump on a flight from Oslo to Glasgow to stab me - so I'm not gonna suggest that..

Are you adding any bacteria to cycle the tank? Dr Tims etc.?
Thank you!☺️

Haha! I would most definately jump on that plane. 3 months?? Seems like ages
Anyway, do you recommend me to turn off the lights for the next week?

I am adding a drop of Aquaforest Bio S everyday. I will look intro Dr Tims. Thank you.

OP
OP
J

jolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Try moving those rock around a little. You'll be surprised what at the formations you can make.
Patience is key. I almost need another hobby just to keep me from tinkering with my tank, haha
Thankyou!
I tried moving the rocks many times, but I came down to this, most stable one. I could try to rearrange things. Is it more benefitial to have less rocks on the sand?

Haha, same!

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off the light for 3 months?? I didnt even have a light for three months.... Im poor though so....
I know the pain of waiting to save up for things. I like to think it pays off in that we can't add or change things too quickly?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I have finally dived into the reefing-hobby. I have had aquariums before, but never saltwater. So, this is going to be challenging and fun.

My equipment:
- Waterbox CUBE 10
- Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9001
- Fluval Nano Marine Led 20W 12.7x12.7cm
- Live rock approximately 5kg
- Aquael heater platinium 50w
- Aquaforest reef salt
- Aqua Medic Bali Sand
- Hugo Hydrometer 20cm
- Aquaforest Bio S

All of this where purchased at 26/09

IMG_1555.jpeg

On 27/09 I filled the tank with sand and rock. I did add one more small rock at the back right of the tank.

IMG_1561.jpeg

On 28/09 I filled the tank with water. I measured the salinity to be a little high. I got this adjusted and it should be correct now. It’s within the green area on my hydrometer.

IMG_1588.jpeg

I am a very unpatient person, so I tried to measure the ammonia already 03/10. I used the coloringpalette, and it did not look 100% clear to me. Waiting over the weekend to check again. I am putting one drop og Aquaforest Bio S everyday for 14 days. At 14 days I will get my water testet at the local aquariumshop.

With time I am hopeful that I can get some snails, a hermit, crab and a pair of clownfish, and maybe a goby. But not all at the same time. I think I am going to start off with a couple of snails, and go from there.

I will keep you posted.
Nice looking nano!

OP
OP
J

jolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to check my water yesterday. Seems like it’s still going to take a while. The nitrite-cycle have not started yet.
IMG_1618.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, you are right on target!!!!! Sad when I have to watch Bristleworms lol
Ohh! I am not too familiar with those. Is it a lot-a lot of worms?
I am going to test the water again in a week, hopefully the nitrite have started, the ammonia is at 0 and I can get a snail or something :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh! I am not too familiar with those. Is it a lot-a lot of worms?
I am going to test the water again in a week, hopefully the nitrite have started, the ammonia is at 0 and I can get a snail or something :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Oh yes, I think every “seasoned” tank that started w/Live Rock has them, think of them as free clean-up crew! I’ve had many discussions over the yrs defending them, gross to look at but IMO beneficial. When you feed heavy as I do, you’ll have more. It’s a balance, I cull them when it seems to many.
You’re in the beginning of a wonderful journey as long as you commit to leaning
Debra

OP
OP
J

jolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes, I think every “seasoned” tank that started w/Live Rock has them, think of them as free clean-up crew! I’ve had many discussions over the yrs defending them, gross to look at but IMO beneficial. When you feed heavy as I do, you’ll have more. It’s a balance, I cull them when it seems to many.
You’re in the beginning of a wonderful journey as long as you commit to leaning
Debra
It will be interesting to see if they pop up in my aquarium or not. I think even though they're gross, it's atleast something else than rocks to look at.. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back