My nano-journey

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be interesting to see if they pop up in my aquarium or not. I think even though they're gross, it's atleast something else than rocks to look at.. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Lol, I forgot, to mention, we husband and, I same one , started Marine tanks in the 80’s, this forum helped me more than I can say!
I highly recommend you journal or just jot down what you do, especially adding fish, treatments coral etc, you’ll be amazed when you look back! Husband built a 1000g Koi and 20-25 for stream, started 3 yrs ago and my jotted notes help to. Of course you’ll probably computer or ipad, I’m old school haha
Best to ya, Debra

OP
OP
J

jolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I forgot, to mention, we husband and, I same one , started Marine tanks in the 80’s, this forum helped me more than I can say!
I highly recommend you journal or just jot down what you do, especially adding fish, treatments coral etc, you’ll be amazed when you look back! Husband built a 1000g Koi and 20-25 for stream, started 3 yrs ago and my jotted notes help to. Of course you’ll probably computer or ipad, I’m old school haha
Best to ya, Debra
Oh, wow! That's nice to have.
Thank you for the tip, I will make notes and keep them for future-me.:)

What kind of tank do you have now?

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We’ll, currently a 100g and a new to us 125gL. I have started a thread Debra’s Dream Aquarium w/pics
Just getting ready to hatch Brine Shrimp and grow them out, I tried feeding my Lemon peel, Chromis and YT, Hippo and a Sailfin newly hatched and fish couldn’t see them
I’m adding Firefiish, bonded clowns and Orchid Dottyback to new tank! And a Wrasse. These people are great about Quantifying advice. I tried, but my Blonde Naso Tangs never survived.four yrs ago. I’m ordering from Dr Reef Quarrentined Fish so hopefully they’ll be fine fingers crossed!
New tank isn’t even plumbed yet!!!
Husband has to either make a corner stand for our big-a#% Tv or buy one so we can slide tank into place and level, right now he just slides it in and out, figuring how Eclipse overfow ON the back plumbs to the 30+ sump!! He’s retired and works harder than he did as a Very Busy Fort Worth Tx Homicide Detective lol.
I’m just getting old live rock we took out, water parameters, etc getting set for the transfer couple weeks from now!
Jeez, sorry you asked lol
All the Best, Debra

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

64886541369__8FF94261-7C27-4228-9A8F-231A4589733D.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
J

jolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ll, currently a 100g and a new to us 125gL. I have started a thread Debra’s Dream Aquarium w/pics
Just getting ready to hatch Brine Shrimp and grow them out, I tried feeding my Lemon peel, Chromis and YT, Hippo and a Sailfin newly hatched and fish couldn’t see them
I’m adding Firefiish, bonded clowns and Orchid Dottyback to new tank! And a Wrasse. These people are great about Quantifying advice. I tried, but my Blonde Naso Tangs never survived.four yrs ago. I’m ordering from Dr Reef Quarrentined Fish so hopefully they’ll be fine fingers crossed!
New tank isn’t even plumbed yet!!!
Husband has to either make a corner stand for our big-a#% Tv or buy one so we can slide tank into place and level, right now he just slides it in and out, figuring how Eclipse overfow ON the back plumbs to the 30+ sump!! He’s retired and works harder than he did as a Very Busy Fort Worth Tx Homicide Detective lol.
I’m just getting old live rock we took out, water parameters, etc getting set for the transfer couple weeks from now!
Jeez, sorry you asked lol
All the Best, Debra
Sounds like so much fun with such big aquariums! I wish I would have the space for it.
I will take a look at your thread. :D

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, not anything new yet lol
Remember that it really helps to jot done what you do, yrs from now, when or as you upgrade, it’ll really help, especially fish, age, where from, water problems, what you did, same with corals. I know it’s easy to jump on and post, but you can really trust yourself too.
Debra

OP
OP
J

jolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that it really helps to jot done what you do, yrs from now, when or as you upgrade, it’ll really help, especially fish, age, where from, water problems, what you did, same with corals. I know it’s easy to jump on and post, but you can really trust yourself too.
Debra
Great tip! I will do that. :)

OP
OP
J

jolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A note to myself:
I tried the ammonia tester with the colorpalette. To me it looked quite white/clear, so I was hopeful it was good to go - and we can add a snail or something.
This was the same day I got the water tested as shown above in the posts, and it stated ammonia: 0.3.

I will probably not trust the colorpalette moving forward.
IMG_1615.jpeg

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking nano and a great start.

How much Bio S did you end up adding to get the tank cycled? A drop a day doesn't seem like much compared to the other bottle bacteria which tell you to dump in a whole bottle in at once.

Adding things slowly like one snail is good but I'd keep in mind that snail needs something to eat. If snails keep algae/detritus in balance, you'll need some algae/detritus to balance out.

OP
OP
J

jolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking nano and a great start.

How much Bio S did you end up adding to get the tank cycled? A drop a day doesn't seem like much compared to the other bottle bacteria which tell you to dump in a whole bottle in at once.

Adding things slowly like one snail is good but I'd keep in mind that snail needs something to eat. If snails keep algae/detritus in balance, you'll need some algae/detritus to balance out.
Thank you!
The guy in the store told me to only put one drop per 50l. My aquarium is 41l. He said it would be a very bad idea to put everything at once, regards to getting a lot of algae.
Do you have any recommendations to get the algaeprocess started withouth doing the whole bottle?

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
The guy in the store told me to only put one drop per 50l. My aquarium is 41l. He said it would be a very bad idea to put everything at once, regards to getting a lot of algae.
Do you have any recommendations to get the algaeprocess started withouth doing the whole bottle?
That’s a cool product.

Algae will just happen as the tank gets light and you add nutrients (food).

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may never need that skimmer. Been running my WB 25g for some time without one and regular water changes take care of everything in a small set up as long as you don’t over stock it with fish.

OP
OP
J

jolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may never need that skimmer. Been running my WB 25g for some time without one and regular water changes take care of everything in a small set up as long as you don’t over stock it with fish.
It would be nice to not have to use it. Its less noise then. I used it the first week, but quickly realized that there is no point if there is no waste in the water. Cool to hear that you have experience not using it, I think I will try the same.

OP
OP
J

jolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture taken yesterday:
IMG_1679.jpeg

I will go to my LFS and test the water again today, so I know the current status. The tank is 14 days into the cycle. Hoping for 0 ammonia so I can get started with a hermit crab.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo. I went to my LPS and run the water again. The ammonia peaked on 0.4. Tested again next day and it showed 0.3. Still some waiting to do. Changed 20% of the water today, and waiting for a week to test again. I put a frozen shrimp in the aquarium, to maybe speed things up a bit. :grimacing-face:
IMG_1691.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I figured I could come with a new update, even though there is not anything to mention really. The shrimp is still in the aquarium, and the water is getting a bit more cloudy. Not sure if this is good or bad? I have not tested the water yet. Hopefully the cloudyness will disappear when I remove the shrimp.
Probably going to test the water during the weekend.

OP
OP
J

jolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I went to check the water two days ago. Ammonia up to 3.5 (!). Probably because of the shrimp. It`s been removed now, and I did a 25% waterchange and put 3 balls of Pure Reef Balance Balls in the filterstation. Let`s hope this works out. I am happy for any tips you guys must have.

OP
OP
J

jolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have fishes!!

I went this saturday to test my water again, and it looks like the cycle is finished. I purchased two clowns, two hermitcrabs and a snail.

All are still alive and active today.
IMG_2007.jpeg

IMG_2014.jpeg
IMG_2020.jpeg

It seems like the hermits are way more active at night. I can barely see them at daytime.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back