My New 310g Mixed Reef

SCH14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone,
I am starting a 310g mixed reef tank.
If anyone would like to give suggestions I’d greatly appreciate it.
Looking for the best companies/ideas for aqua scape. I really like the all white reef rock look.
Also would love suggestions on equipment. Eventually will do a full apex system but right now am in need of pumps, uv, heater, sump, powerheads etc.
let me know your recommendations!

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The all white reef look is a fundamentally flawed and unachievable goal in a reef tank. The rock is only white when it is new and sterile before bacteria and other micro organisms have populated and turned it the darker color of live rock.

In order to maintain white rock you would have to remove it from the tank and sterilize it on a regular basis. More importantly though the coral you want to keep require a stable environment, that stable environment in large part is provided by mature live rock.

And I don't mean to come off as rude, but you stating that you want white rock in a reef tank indicates that you have done very little homework. I would recommend getting on YouTube and checking out the BRSTV channel and watching everything you can on setting up a new tank. Knowledge is your friend in this hobby.

OP
OP
SCH14

SCH14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The all white reef look is a fundamentally flawed and unachievable goal in a reef tank. The rock is only white when it is new and sterile before bacteria and other micro organisms have populated and turned it the darker color of live rock.

In order to maintain white rock you would have to remove it from the tank and sterilize it on a regular basis. More importantly though the coral you want to keep require a stable environment, that stable environment in large part is provided by mature live rock.

And I don't mean to come off as rude, but you stating that you want white rock in a reef tank indicates that you have done very little homework. I would recommend getting on YouTube and checking out the BRSTV channel and watching everything you can on setting up a new tank. Knowledge is your friend in this hobby.
I have done lots of tanks w the Caribsea rock with the dark purple, ik white will change colors over time. I wwas thinking something more along the lines of this

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 38

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done lots of tanks w the Caribsea rock with the dark purple, ik white will change colors over time. I wwas thinking something more along the lines of this
Ok, I read your original post as you wanted the rock to remain white. If you simply want to start with white rock then I I apologize for my first critical post.

Probably not what you want to go with but I built my aquascape with the cheap 40lb box of rock off Amazon. It was very dense and I don't think I would recommend it to anyone except the very budget minded hobbiest.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back