My new 800g+ pentagon FOWLR tank

noyowo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these are INCREDIBLE!! i’m a total newb but DNA is where i’ve started learning much of my stuff, and it’s so thrilling seeing someone with such knowledge referencing the same place. sorry for the derail, but this is wicked inspiring. ;Cat

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been planning on using the regular bulkheads from BRS. You think the schedule 80 ones are better then? They look to be larger in their dimensions.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been planning on using the regular bulkheads from BRS. You think the schedule 80 ones are better then? They look to be larger in their dimensions.
Yes the secure 80 requires a larger hole. The ones I bought from BRS were a little better than the ones from my LFS but they are still very poor quality in my opinion. Going forward I will only use Hayward schedule 80.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these are INCREDIBLE!! i’m a total newb but DNA is where i’ve started learning much of my stuff, and it’s so thrilling seeing someone with such knowledge referencing the same place. sorry for the derail, but this is wicked inspiring. ;Cat
I think DNA is a great resource. Naturally some of their employees know more than others. I always do my own research. But I buy almost exclusively from them when I’m not ordering online. Don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions and always do your own research. Naturally this website is one of the best places to research!

Welcome to the hobby and thanks for following.

Steve

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WATER IN THE SUMPS!

I put water in the sumps this week to test the bulkheads and protein skimmer. The good news is that the skimmer pulled and returned nicely from both sumps! Of course I have gate valves to also control the intake and return. But with everything wide open, it was almost perfectly balanced. That was the good news.

The BAD news was I had four leaks. The first was at a union but it was an easy fix as the o-ring was missing.

The second leak was at the pump return. The challenge was I had to use a threaded nipple and the nipple is not tapered enough. So when I tightened, it easily went all the way to the end of the treads. I added an extra amount of teflon tape and it seems to be fine but I am nervous it will still give me issues. It was a brand name so not sure why it didn't work better. Ideas?

The other two leaks were at the bulkheads. They are hard to tighten as I have the nuts inside the tanks and it is very hard to get to. I could have put the nuts on the outside of the sumps but it would not have looked as clean.

I also learned it is important to tighten the bulkheads first before securing the other plumping so it doesn't pull the bulkheads out of alignment and/or pinch the gasket.

And my biggest frustration is I used low quality bulkheads. I really regret doing this. I used schedule 80 high end bulkheads on the tank and now which I had used them all the way around. Or at least I wish I had used better quality. My bad for sure. I have spent so much on all the components and kicking myself for buying cheap bulkheads from my LFS. Lesson learned!

However when I let the office last night there were no leaks. I am not at the office this morning and hopeful that all is well. The staff will let me know if there is a flood! LOL

I am wanting to place more of the aquascape before testing the closed loop sections. We placed three of the sections last night. It is really busy and intricate but gives the fish lots and lots of swim-throughs and hiding places. There are NINE columns total in this section with dozens of swim-throughs.

And these sections are tucked away in the back "triangle" section of the tank leaving plenty of open swimming space in the front. Again I decided to go the extra mile in providing plenty of areas for the fish to explore and feel safe.

Here are a few pics of the tank with more of the aquascape in place. I have two more pieces ready to go in and then the final three sections which make up the center piece and goes in front of everything currently seen in the images below.

Steve
I prefer this to Teflon tape seams to seal better
1641162053102.png

Jen1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG. Just came across your thread tonight. It's going to be absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see the progress as it moves forward. That scape is just AMAZING!

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am in Dallas (Southlake to be exact)... I have a 300g+ system and am a fan of DNA...
I know exactly which banana eels you bought as I was looking to buy the same ones.

Your build is absolutely amazing and I'm fascinated by the aquascape. I truly appreciate your OCD and the need to make sure that everything is perfect... I can completely relate.
John at DNA informed me that their new Banana Eel had lost an eye. It is healed over. He is selling it for 1/2 price. I guess that makes sense. LOL.

Anyway he offered to me but I have enough with three and not sure they would welcome another. But sounds like a good deal if you are interested. I do have a Niger Trigger with one eye and he does great.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John at DNA informed me that their new Banana Eel had lost an eye. It is healed over. He is selling it for 1/2 price. I guess that makes sense. LOL.

Anyway he offered to me but I have enough with three and not sure they would welcome another. But sounds like a good deal if you are interested. I do have a Niger Trigger with one eye and he does great.
Kuhen called me the same day I posted and let me know about him... I went by last week and took a look. He's a big eel... about 14" or more and at least 1" diameter. It's the left eye... and by the look of it, he's had it like that for some time.
Same here... he offered it to me at a fraction of the price, but it's bigger than what I'm looking for. I'd like to raise one from about 10" or so and have him get "used to" having other fish around.

If you didn't see my other post, I grabbed the male Lamarcks angel from @HeyLookItsCaps. He's a beauty!! So docile, but yet so majestic.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kuhen called me the same day I posted and let me know about him... I went by last week and took a look. He's a big eel... about 14" or more and at least 1" diameter. It's the left eye... and by the look of it, he's had it like that for some time.
Same here... he offered it to me at a fraction of the price, but it's bigger than what I'm looking for. I'd like to raise one from about 10" or so and have him get "used to" having other fish around.

If you didn't see my other post, I grabbed the male Lamarcks angel from @HeyLookItsCaps. He's a beauty!! So docile, but yet so majestic.

How’s he settling in by the way? Don’t want to clog your phone with texts about a fish! Ha

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah looked pretty big in the video. My largest is about 14" and fat! Does SoF still have their tiny ones? They were pretty cool. Glad the Lamarck went to a good home! Congrats!

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Q: "How do you know when a tank is large?"

A: "There is an open 4-foot step ladder INSIDE the tank." Lol. I enjoyed the photo. :p
LOL. We can't fit it in anymore. Too much rock work. I only have one more piece of rock work to fit and I can put some water in the bottom to test!

Challenge was we couldn't get more glue. Stupid supply chain!

Now we have the glue and my helper has been exposed to Covid. Stupid Covid!

My powder blue tang is getting ansie. He's picking on the Emperor twice his size! Need to get them into the bigger tank!

Thanks for following.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WATER IN THE TANK, well a few inches anyway. :cool:

Today I was able to run the two 25a circuits to the tank stand. We installed 6 receptacles so we would always have a close connection. I also installed my two Apex GB8s and mounted a couple of the Apex components. Most of this is neatly tucked up in the top of the stand.

I also installed the 4) 600w heaters in the sumps.

Now I have lots and lots of cords to run. I just ran two today, from the heaters to the GB8 and this is going to be time consuming! With all the neat and exposed plumbing I want to make sure I don't mess up the clean look with power cords, usb cables, and probes looped everywhere. So I am neatly running everything and being a bit anal about it.

I also ordered some colored 1/4" tubing for the auto water changes. And I still need to hook up an ATO.

But the big news is we have water in the sumps... the protein skimmer is operational... there is about 5" of water In the tank to check the 10 bulkheads and two closed loop systems and the leaks are fixed!!!

Some have asked how many pumps running the system. I have 5 reeflo pumps. 1 running the skimmer, 2 for the closed loops and 2 for the sumps (one for each). I should be moving 10k-12k gallons an hour. I also have the bubble master pump for the skimmer and a Core 20 plumbed that I am planning (hoping) to use as a vacuum (with water going back into the sumps). So 7 pumps in all under the tank!

Tonight I ordered over 1,000lbs of sand I hope to start rinsing and putting into the tank soon. I do have to fit one more piece of aquascape before adding more water. Unless I want to work underwater. :) But once that structure is in, I can grab my RODI line and "let er rip" or actually "let 'er trickle". I need to increase the pressure to the RODI as I am only producing about 1/2 what I should be.

My confidence is up now that the leaks are fixed (took about a week of working through small leaks and tore apart a big section of pluming three times! Thank God for unions!) but I am still nervous about the overflows. I like the concept of the "tower overflows" but I am NOT impressed with the ones I purchased. IMO they are a very bad design and I am hoping all my makeshift altering didn't create a problem. If there is a problem, it will NOT be fun to fix.

I have some seeded media and fish ready to go in. Onward and upward! Oh and of course I still need salt. :)

Steve

tank.jpg
skimmer.jpg

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure they will be amazed I just got a forever tank but seeing what your doing makes me think one more is a possibility.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back