my new baby... AKA The Café

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can treat whole tank using @AquaBiomics thread as basis for treatment protocols and dosing instructions.
I think @fishguy242 is right though. Whole tank treatment is not necessary here on new piece. Id get the piece in a bath asap though. Probably correct that the coral is to far gone. Wouldnt hurt anything to try a bath for a few nights though. If you have cipro on hand.
Have cipro on hand.
I just dipped in furan2 this morning. I’ll start the bath cipro method tomorrow night.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was recommended from another group to do a furan2 dip. It’s all I had time for before work. It’s currently sitting in the lowest flow lowest light area of the tank.

Should I still try a cipro dip? How long should I wait? This is something I could definitely do. Removing it to qt is possible but I don’t have a light for that set up. Well I have a cheap led light.

It would be easier for me to dip at night. Don’t think I could float it in two gallons but I have a bag large enough enough I could float it in.
So I've tried furan 2 dip and even experimented with most other medications on market just because I had nothing to lose.
I'm sure furan 2 has specific antibiotics in it that help for specific ranges of infections. Not sure what those are. I do know that Cipro has a wider treatment range for bacterial infections.
Would be super beneficial for you to read the thread Steve posted.
And maybe research cipro baths. I use a super low dosage for longer time..
But in research you will find much higher dosages being applied for different corals and different ailments.
I took the more safe than sorry approach but can tell you I haven't had a bad reaction to Cipro. It either works and works well, like almost instantly or it doesn't work at all. And haven't noticed any harmful side effects.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've tried furan 2 dip and even experimented with most other medications on market just because I had nothing to lose.
I'm sure furan 2 has specific antibiotics in it that help for specific ranges of infections. Not sure what those are. I do know that Cipro has a wider treatment range for bacterial infections.
Would be super beneficial for you to read the thread Steve posted.
And maybe research cipro baths. I use a super low dosage for longer time..
But in research you will find much higher dosages being applied for different corals and different ailments.
I took the more safe than sorry approach but can tell you I haven't had a bad reaction to Cipro. It either works and works well, like almost instantly or it doesn't work at all. And haven't noticed any harmful side effects.
Same here. It either works or it doesn’t.

Just to put all in one post.

No need to do whole tank.
QT with cheap light is fine. Cipro degrades under bright light, anyways. Even a Tupperware tub works as a qt.
Agree coral may be to far gone, but it never hurts to try.

when you get home @dyerrm, let me know the route you are taking and I can do the math for how much rodi to mix with the tablet you have and then how many ml of the mix to put into qt or the bag. Euphillia can actually take 50mg per gallon with no issues. Probably no need to start there, but just a reference.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve is some of that coraline up for sale?? I am in great need of a large dose!
Pm me your address. I can ship you a small slurry at no charge. Great thing about coralline slurry is it doesn’t have to go overnight lol. It would just get trashed otherwise.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pm me your address. I can ship you a small slurry at no charge. Great thing about coralline slurry is it doesn’t have to go overnight lol. It would just get trashed otherwise.
Hi Steve can you put some in bottle for me too when your ready with macro? How much of shelve life does it have in bottle?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Steve can you put some in bottle for me too when your ready with macro? How much of shelve life does it have in bottle?
For you, heck no. Kidding. Yes, of course.

As for shelf life, not sure. Sent some to my friend in Seattle snail mail, and in a week on his 2 week old tank he had purple spots everywhere. All dry rock and cycled with dr Tim’s method. Coraline was added before any outside critters were added, as well. So o can only assume it was the slurry I sent, or at least want to believe that.

For macro, pm me and I will let you know what I have ready.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For you, heck no. Kidding. Yes, of course.

As for shelf life, not sure. Sent some to my friend in Seattle snail mail, and in a week on his 2 week old tank he had purple spots everywhere. All dry rock and cycled with dr Tim’s method. Coraline was added before any outside critters were added, as well. So o can only assume it was the slurry I sent, or at least want to believe that.

For macro, pm me and I will let you know what I have ready.
I need purple everywhere:D 10 4 I'll refresh that pm i sent you i cant remember what I wanted honestly!

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i'm here ,just poppin..
i could type out a list of what i'm trying to get done today... ;) but most of it wont...:rolleyes:;Hilarious
atm
cut back grass
dogs a bath
NAP...;Happy
etc...
etc...;Dead

;):)
WP_20210414_17_43_50_Pro.jpg

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. It either works or it doesn’t.

Just to put all in one post.

No need to do whole tank.
QT with cheap light is fine. Cipro degrades under bright light, anyways. Even a Tupperware tub works as a qt.
Agree coral may be to far gone, but it never hurts to try.

when you get home @dyerrm, let me know the route you are taking and I can do the math for how much rodi to mix with the tablet you have and then how many ml of the mix to put into qt or the bag. Euphillia can actually take 50mg per gallon with no issues. Probably no need to start there, but just a reference.
So should I treat with cipro right after furan2? Or give it 24hrs? How long does it need if I just do the bath thing? I have read the article about qt with cipro. Honestly I’m in an apartment and space is limited. But if you think treating in qt is better I’ll set that up. I can use a piece of rock from my sump for bacteria (I have so much in my sump it won’t hurt to pull a piece than just not put it back in). I can use water from the DT. Need to do a water change anyway.

If the bath is just as good as the qt I’ll go the bath route. But if you think one is better than the other I’ll go the route that’s better.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I treat with cipro right after furan2? Or give it 24hrs? How long does it need if I just do the bath thing? I have read the article about qt with cipro. Honestly I’m in an apartment and space is limited. But if you think treating in qt is better I’ll set that up. I can use a piece of rock from my sump for bacteria (I have so much in my sump it won’t hurt to pull a piece than just not put it back in). I can use water from the DT. Need to do a water change anyway.

If the bath is just as good as the qt I’ll go the bath route. But if you think one is better than the other I’ll go the route that’s better.
Bath to check and see how it reacts if fine. If space is limited, a Tupperware container with the lid put on it works great to hold temp. Just put water in the container, put the coral in there, add cipro and then float it for 3 hours away from bright light.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm here ,just poppin..
i could type out a list of what i'm trying to get done today... ;) but most of it wont...:rolleyes:;Hilarious
atm
cut back grass
dogs a bath
NAP...;Happy
etc...
etc...;Dead

;):)
WP_20210414_17_43_50_Pro.jpg
Nothing on list has anything to do with reefing hahaha man I feel your pain!

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bath to check and see how it reacts if fine. If space is limited, a Tupperware container with the lid put on it works great to hold temp. Just put water in the container, put the coral in there, add cipro and then float it for 3 hours away from bright light.
Should I do this tonight? Even though it got furan2 this morning

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I do this tonight? Even though it got furan2 this morning
It won’t hurt a bit. The furan2 is more than likely burnt up by now. It degrades with light as well. Tank lights have been on all day, so between that and the time frame, the hammer has probably expelled any remnants of it.

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won’t hurt a bit. The furan2 is more than likely burnt up by now. It degrades with light as well. Tank lights have been on all day, so between that and the time frame, the hammer has probably expelled any remnants of it.
Ok than that’s what I’ll do tonight
Picture or where i put it after the furan2 dip this was at 650am
791F217C-5EC2-469E-84C9-475A9A6164D3.jpeg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok than that’s what I’ll do tonight
Picture or where i put it after the furan2 dip this was at 650am
791F217C-5EC2-469E-84C9-475A9A6164D3.jpeg
There is still flesh, so still a tiny chance. Better to try and it fail, then not try at all.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is still flesh, so still a tiny chance. Better to try and it fail, then not try at all.
Took the words out of my mouth man. Ive seen this quoted. Not sure where. But was totally stunned when my Minecraft was saved. It was literally full on tissue necrosis, falling apart just handling it before I gave a few baths. Just a cpl weeks later all healed up and today is perfectly healthy. So healthy I'm pretty sure I was able to successfully take a cut from her foot with no recourse:)
Check it out before cipro bath-
20200917_210900.jpg
20200917_210942 (1).jpg

Just yesterday 48 hrs after cut:)
20210414_172954.jpg

Little baby foot cut:D
20210414_151802.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back