My new Golden Banana Moray Eel

Punksboops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not aware thanks for the info. He is just so crazy while im feeding almost rips food right out of my hand lol

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These little 2' moray will reach that full size and do grow pretty fast if fed properly. They usually reach full size in about 1.5 yrs or so. Feeding daily is a bad idea, their metabolism is set up for a gorge/fast feeding routine. One possible negative effect from too frequent feedings is fatty liver disease. By the time these eels are mature, once a week feedings are more ideal. Overfeeding usually in the form of too frequent feedings is one of the most common causes of an early demise.
Now that the new ones are eating I can back off on their feeding. I just have to feed in a way that the triggers get all the food quickly. If they miss any or I add more than they can eat super fast then the eels get some of the food. When I feed the triggers mysis shrimp they also get a few here and there. I also sometimes feed the triggers individually with tongs and I can keep food away from the eels that way. Are you suggesting every three days at their current size?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the new ones are eating I can back off on their feeding. I just have to feed in a way that the triggers get all the food quickly. If they miss any or I add more than they can eat super fast then the eels get some of the food. When I feed the triggers mysis shrimp they also get a few here and there. I also sometimes feed the triggers individually with tongs and I can keep food away from the eels that way. Are you suggesting every three days at their current size?

That would be a good place to start. Them picking up items during your daily feeding is no big deal. I used to have a hard time getting food past the triggers to get to the eels. I had a blueline that would grab a chunk on the tongs and I would literally pick him up out of the water to get him to let go, and darn it, he would win and I would let go. I read an article about triggers beaching themselves to get food. The closer we try to emulate their habits in the wild, the better off. Just feed them their full then give a couple days in between for digestion. Maintain reef level mg. Younger eels will require more frequent feedings, they are growing boys and girls. Ones that I have found to keep their eels 10-15 years or more did feed much less. So as they mature working into a less frequent routine does seem to pay off.

Not kidding, you can almost see these guys grow for the 1st year, so you'll know if you are feeding enough.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you know the source of the eels beyond the LFS? There is an importer in TX that brings some in frequently but he does so in super low hypo SG water. Did you test salinity before adding them to your tank?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the source of the eels beyond the LFS? There is an importer in TX that brings some in frequently but he does so in super low hypo SG water. Did you test salinity before adding them to your tank?

That's kind of a dirty trick some suppliers use to hold parasites at bay. The problem is when you get them home if not acclimated properly, they can go into osmotic shock and die. And if they do survive acclimation and you get them up to proper sg, if parasites are present, they explode with a vengeance and you better be ready to treat asap.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's kind of a dirty trick some suppliers use to hold parasites at bay. The problem is when you get them home if not acclimated properly, they can go into osmotic shock and die. And if they do survive acclimation and you get them up to proper sg, if parasites are present, they explode with a vengeance and you better be ready to treat asap.
It can also cause long-term organ damage. I ask because one in TX brings these in a lot in low sg

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a good place to start. Them picking up items during your daily feeding is no big deal. I used to have a hard time getting food past the triggers to get to the eels. I had a blueline that would grab a chunk on the tongs and I would literally pick him up out of the water to get him to let go, and darn it, he would win and I would let go. I read an article about triggers beaching themselves to get food. The closer we try to emulate their habits in the wild, the better off. Just feed them their full then give a couple days in between for digestion. Maintain reef level mg. Younger eels will require more frequent feedings, they are growing boys and girls. Ones that I have found to keep their eels 10-15 years or more did feed much less. So as they mature working into a less frequent routine does seem to pay off.

Not kidding, you can almost see these guys grow for the 1st year, so you'll know if you are feeding enough.
Thanks again. All great info.

I skipped feeding them for two days. It was fun to watch them out and about the tank more.

and yes my Triggers eat every first, aggressively of course. The largest one does grab the tongs. So today I just fed them once and enough to get them to calm down. Then I was able to feed the eels. Worked like a charm. Only downside is the Triggers only received one feeding where they normally get two. I didn’t dare feed them twice as it would probably be more than the filtration could handle.

it also helps that all three eels now know how to take food from the tongs. Took them a bit to figure it out. And the largest one grabbed the tongs harder then the triggers. So glad I’m not hand feeding!

but now I have a strategy to gut load the eels every three days.

:)

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t test the water in the bag. Now wish I had. But I know the LFS was in contact with the supplier in Brazil. Then they went to Los Angeles and then to DFW.

The LFS also got another Banana in today (mine have caused a bit of local interest) and he put it in his NON copper tank. Was very glad to hear that.

I spoken to a number of people about eels and copper. Sadly most don’t care. But I do appreciate my LFS I’m doing business with and glad they were even willing to listen to a newbie.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any update on how they are doing?
The three Banana eels are doing great. They all get along and they swim out in the open frequently. They have learned to steal food right of the trigger's mouth. It is fun to watch them when they are together. They usually keep to themselves sharing different parts of the live rock but sometimes pair up. And no more fighting!

There are two still at the LFS. The good news is that they have never been in copper. They are on the reef side of the store. The bad news is they live in small tanks and no one is buying them. They are quite small and not growing. Mine are noticeably bigger than when I first purchased them.

I've been tempted to go buy the two at the store but not sure I can handle five! And keeping the nitrates down in the tank is a real chore with three eels and three adult triggerfish. I am hoping it will be easier when I move them to the 800g not long from now.

Thanks for checking up. Everyone loves the Bananas!!!

Eel1.jpg
eel2.jpg
eel3.jpg

pegasus_sb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such rad eels. I used to have one. Very personable and not shy. He jumped out of my tank a few times haha I had a lid too. I regret selling him

Attachments

• 7337E61B-635A-441D-9B51-3E6729E210A5.jpeg
    7337E61B-635A-441D-9B51-3E6729E210A5.jpeg
    814.9 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such rad eels. I used to have one. Very personable and not shy. He jumped out of my tank a few times haha I had a lid too. I regret selling him
Oh man. If I sold mine my son and office staff would NOT be happy. yeah they are pretty cool. And I actually can't believe what I spent on them! They look big in my temp 125g tank. Eager to see what they will look like in my 800g when it is setup. One of my concerns is what size fish they can eat. I lost a cleaner wrasse pretty quick. They have eaten most of the large hermit crabs. I have a number of small fish I am growing out and wondering at what point (size) they will be safe. I've heard 3" but the cleaner as probably 3" but obviously very skinny.

pegasus_sb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man. If I sold mine my son and office staff would NOT be happy. yeah they are pretty cool. And I actually can't believe what I spent on them! They look big in my temp 125g tank. Eager to see what they will look like in my 800g when it is setup. One of my concerns is what size fish they can eat. I lost a cleaner wrasse pretty quick. They have eaten most of the large hermit crabs. I have a number of small fish I am growing out and wondering at what point (size) they will be safe. I've heard 3" but the cleaner as probably 3" but obviously very skinny.
I’ve never lost a fish to them. I guess it’s depending on the specimen. Believe it or not I only paid 100 bucks from pacific aqua farms but again this was like 6 years ago.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never lost a fish to them. I guess it’s depending on the specimen. Believe it or not I only paid 100 bucks from pacific aqua farms but again this was like 6 years ago.
yeah you didn't have to tell me that. LOL. Just add a zero to that for mine and multiple times three!

But I was excited yesterday to pick up a 4" Lunula Trigger for $200! So I guess the deals come and go. :)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hate to break it to you, but technically they could take down most of the fish we keep. Key points, size of tank, feeding schedule, and temperament of the other fish. Since you have well acclimated your 3 amigo's to captive living, they will be less apt to go hunting, as it were. And the temperament of the specimens you are including, these are not fish that will go down without a fight. A well acclimated fang tooth is not going to wrestle for his food when he gets an appropriate diet with no work. If your feeding schedule goes off or the diet isn't adequate, all bets are off. Tank size also plays a big roll, the fish you have are elusive and tuff to bring down, and also tuck themselves away safely at night. Be careful of the wrasses you choose, their body type makes it a bit easier for a slash and grab; the others with a broad body, not so much. I wouldn't trust them with anything under 5".

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to break it to you, but technically they could take down most of the fish we keep. Key points, size of tank, feeding schedule, and temperament of the other fish. Since you have well acclimated your 3 amigo's to captive living, they will be less apt to go hunting, as it were. And the temperament of the specimens you are including, these are not fish that will go down without a fight. A well acclimated fang tooth is not going to wrestle for his food when he gets an appropriate diet with no work. If your feeding schedule goes off or the diet isn't adequate, all bets are off. Tank size also plays a big roll, the fish you have are elusive and tuff to bring down, and also tuck themselves away safely at night. Be careful of the wrasses you choose, their body type makes it a bit easier for a slash and grab; the others with a broad body, not so much. I wouldn't trust them with anything under 5".
Oh wow. That’s good to know. They have no fear of ripping food away from the triggers if the triggers can eat in one bite.

I certainly don’t want to loose any of the fish I’m collecting as food for the Bananas. But good point on the more slender wrasses. I guess the eels will even go searching for them in the sand?

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banana Moray!! Very aggressive eater. Had him for about 6 months. Thanks

Attachments

• 3F666CC5-52A1-4F9E-B753-EF50F0B5C0E1.jpeg
    3F666CC5-52A1-4F9E-B753-EF50F0B5C0E1.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 50
  • C7C7A4CD-14D1-4756-B0A8-D4D8E2C0A4BF.jpeg
    C7C7A4CD-14D1-4756-B0A8-D4D8E2C0A4BF.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 54

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The three Banana eels are doing great. They all get along and they swim out in the open frequently. They have learned to steal food right of the trigger's mouth. It is fun to watch them when they are together. They usually keep to themselves sharing different parts of the live rock but sometimes pair up. And no more fighting!

There are two still at the LFS. The good news is that they have never been in copper. They are on the reef side of the store. The bad news is they live in small tanks and no one is buying them. They are quite small and not growing. Mine are noticeably bigger than when I first purchased them.

I've been tempted to go buy the two at the store but not sure I can handle five! And keeping the nitrates down in the tank is a real chore with three eels and three adult triggerfish. I am hoping it will be easier when I move them to the 800g not long from now.

Thanks for checking up. Everyone loves the Bananas!!!

Eel1.jpg
eel2.jpg
eel3.jpg
Beautiful fish! If three are good….wouldn’t five be even more epic? And you know they will have a good home in that huge tank you’re building!

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish! If three are good….wouldn’t five be even more epic? And you know they will have a good home in that huge tank you’re building!
HAHA. It would be epic. But I think he sold them. I hope so, I don't need the temptation.

I also think Epic would be a Blue Porcupine Puffer. :) Which would also break the bank!

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHA. It would be epic. But I think he sold them. I hope so, I don't need the temptation.

I also think Epic would be a Blue Porcupine Puffer. :) Which would also break the bank!
Can we really put a price on cool fish? Think of the joy they would bring. Hahahaha

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back